PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spin dryers - anyone got one?

Options
suzybloo
suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 23 July 2013 at 12:22PM in Old style MoneySaving
Given the great weather I have been handwashing many things, but do struggle to wring things out, I am wondering if anyone uses a spin dryer. Thinking things through if I can hand wash now there is nothing stopping me doing this all the time, especially for my work blouses, jumpers trousers etc, really good quality things just needing a rinse through, as unfortunately my washing machine rinses and spins, which takes half an hour. Looking at the spin dryers they are 2800 rpm, compared to 1400 rpm in the washing machine, and a three to four minute spin would be great, which probably would make a difference for tumble drying in the winter.

Any thoughts folks?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Every days a School day!

Comments

• Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't have one myself, just my washing machine. Know what you mean about wringing things out though by hand...I am useless!
    I have done a load of hand washing and put them through a light spin in the washing machine. Other things get a useless wring out, and more or less have to drip dry outside.

I would be worried though about such a high spin with a spin drier, would everything not be creased to bits? (I have an intense hatred of ironing. :p) However, that's just me, and probably someone will be along in a minute, singing their praises.
  • storytime
    storytime Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought a new spin dryer as I thought it would be a green thing to do instead of buying a tumble dryer . However it was nothing but trouble. You can't put too many items in at one go, so you spend time spinning one wash load. It went wrong at least 3 times in the first year. When it went wrong outside of the guarantee I decided not to bother having it repaired . You need space for it , as, if you don't load it properly it moves and shakes all over the place!Now I just put the washing machine on for an extra spin after a wash during the winter and this cuts down drying time.
    Save your money. Hope this helps.
    My secret fantasy is having 2 men....
    1 cooking and 1 cleaning.
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I too have one and have hardly used it and concur with the previous post.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • happydays89
    happydays89 Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    I use mine a lot,I spin everything in the winter when you have to dry things inside,if I wash a load of towels I can get a pint of water out after spinning them........less moisture in the air.we have noticed less damp in the house since we started doing this.Also less dryer cost because they dry faster.wouldnt be without it.
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Many thanks for your replies, I will ponder a wee bit longer before I buy one. I think just now with doing hand washing it was an idea to save putting on the big machine just to spin a few items, and that would be the case in future - a couple of jumpers or 3-4 blouses which I hand wash anyway, which seem to rattle about in the big drum, and be in there for ever!
    Every days a School day!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I haven't got one now but I did back in the 1960s and it was great as we lived in a first floor flat with only three rooms and had very little space to hang stuff around.I had a washing line that went from the bedroom tiny balcony to the big tree at the bottom of the garden on a pully and was great once stuff was spun to blow them dry best washing line I ever had ,mu friend who lived across the road used to bring a big basket to my house and while we had a cuppa or three and a natter her washing would be drying on my line after I had spun it for her.I had my spin dryer for years even after I had an automatic washer and nothing could get stuff dryer quicker .I eventually l gave it to a young lass who had just been rehoused from a shelter with her children and she was so chuffed with it It was a Hoover one and when I bought it new in 1965 cost around £25.00 I gave it away in the 1980s still in full working order.I can remember sitting one of my children on top to 'anchor' it down as it did tend to dance around the kitchen a bit :):)If I had the room I would probably buy another one ,but I bet it wouldn't cost £25.00 though.Great for hand washing, and really does get a lot more water out than automatics do.Its got to be cheaper to run if you only have a few bits to run through by hand
  • Bettie
    Bettie Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It was very useful when I had one. I recently gave it away, it was about 25 years old and looked like new. I wish I could have kept it but my kitchen is small and you need somewhere to store it. if not loaded right it would dance around and miss the bowl that caught the water under the spout, then I would have a wet kitchen floor. It spun clothes almost dry. Invaluable for my hand washed nappies, no washing machine back then. If you use a tumble dryer it would certainly cut drying time down.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,596 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Another one who wished they had room for a separate spin dryer. In fact, if I had the room, I'd get rid of the automatic washing machine and get a twin tub. I always found they washed better and dried better than any automatic machine ever has and in the time it takes to do one load in the automatic I could do a weeks washing with the twin tub.

Denise
  • Bettie
    Bettie Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 July 2013 at 12:38PM
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    Another one who wished they had room for a separate spin dryer. In fact, if I had the room, I'd get rid of the automatic washing machine and get a twin tub. I always found they washed better and dried better than any automatic machine ever has and in the time it takes to do one load in the automatic I could do a weeks washing with the twin tub.

Denise

and we could recycle the water in the twin tub and get four wash loads out of one filling, how money saving was that. :rotfl:
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I remember when my mum had a spin drier. I was staying at hers and did a hand wash, loaded up the spin drier and switched it on.
    The bloomin' thing wobbled about all over the kitchen, emptying water everywhere! Rang mum up (she was at work) in a panic and she told me that it had to be loaded very evenly, otherwise the weight will be heavier on one side and that's what causes the thing to dance about!

Other than that, it was pretty good. As you say, they have a higher spin speed than washing machines, so it doesn't take long to dry the clothes once they're hung out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure