We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What hidden discount perks are there to your job?

Options
rhysowen9
rhysowen9 Posts: 26 Forumite
edited 1 October 2013 at 5:17PM in Shop but don't drop
Official MoneySavingExpert insert: Please add your own finds to the thread below, including what the discount was and where you found it. Thanks to rhysowen9 for starting this discussion.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Recently I've been going through a little rough patch with my bank balance. I spent the last year splashing cash and living life with all the luxuries.
I thought I might share a tip or two which I have been taking full advantage of and making massive savings from.

Many of us are a member of the AA, have car or home insurance, have a job, maybe have a student card, a tesco club card, etc.
And most of these will have an "exclusive membership offers" section on their website.

It wasn't until I bought a car, insured it, got breakdown cover and insured it that it really hit me...

If I had look on my employers discount website, I would have noticed that I could've gotten 40% off car insurance with the same company I paid full price for.
Then, If I had checked the "members benefits" section of my car insurers website, I would have noticed that I could've gotten up to 20% off my breakdown cover.
Then, If I had checked the "members benefits" section of my break down cover providers website, I would have noticed that I could have gotten 40% off all my tickets for thorpe park!!

All in all, I could have saved a massive amount!
My advice would be to take a few hours out, review all your memberships and make yourself VERY aware of all the discounts and offers they provide, you could save yourself an awful lot of money.

Anyone else been caught out like this before and wish they could go back?

Comments

• DavidLuckhurst
    Options
    2 or 3% off sainsburys or asda vouchers or gift cards, for example.
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    rhysowen9 wrote: »

If I had look on my employers discount website....

?

By all means do this but don't assume that the employers discount is the cheapest - do a little more work on comparison sites to make sure! NHS discounts is not often the best for me, for example.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport