PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How can I get the smell of windowlene off towels?

Options
CathWales
CathWales Posts: 3,010 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 9 July 2013 at 12:26PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi

I have help with cleaning tasks and bought a cloth to clean my windows. I told my cleaner to use the cloth with windowlene and as the cloth was washable i put it in on a 60 degree wash with some towels - bit of a mistake! The towels and drum smell of windowlene (I know I can get rid of drum smell by doing a small empty wash with a washing tablet on high temp) I rewashed on 90 degree, but my machine does not have special settings as such and the towels still smell. Currently they have been soaking in a bucket and bowl as neither big enough for 2 big towels and 2 hand, but what if the smell is still there tomorrow, what else can I please use?

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]

Comments

• CathWales
    Options
    Anyone have any ideas please or do I need to buy new towels?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have anywhere outside to hang them out so they get aired well?

It's an incredibly persistent smell, isn't it?
  • CathWales
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Do you have anywhere outside to hang them out so they get aired well?

It's an incredibly persistent smell, isn't it?

Ho Molisola, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately there is nowhere outside I can hang the towels as I live in a flat with a shared patio area with no airer and tho I have my own washing machine, I have to dry clothes in the communal dryer:(
  • pandamonium
    pandamonium Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried washing them and adding vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser? Bit of a long shot, but towels are expensive to replace.
    HTH
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    I would wash using a normal load setting in white vinegar, then do a whole wash as normal, that should solve the problem, if it doesn't just repeat the process.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • CathWales
    edited 4 July 2013 at 7:02PM
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I left the towels soaking overnight in water with the softner as mentioned and the smell seemed to have gone, tho the towels didn't dry as fully as normal (my fault for not adding enough money in machine!) I then found a soaking wet towel in my machine I didn't see and the short rinse on my machine only seemed to last seconds, so not sure why that one was so wet (maybe i didn't wring it out enough from being in bucket as that soaked water up before putting in machine you think?) Washing that one towel again with the laundry baskets, cloth type, don't worry lol. Domestic Goddess I am not! lol. EDIT: Washing finished and towel came out normal wetness, so think its OK!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport