PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Desserts for a large party - planning ahead

Options
Mado
Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 25 June 2013 at 12:25PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hiya,

I'm planning for my OH's birthday party; I have booked a hog roast but thought I could manage desserts with the help of DD.

I'm trying to think of options that I could prepare ahead as I know that I'll be super busy on the day.
I think I can liberate 2 drawers in my freezer in the coming weeks, so will ahve some freezing space.

So, I thought I would ask for suggestions to cater for a rather large crowd (100-150?) , and , baking to impress, preferrably finger food / bite size portions too!

(Budget not a constraint, but taste is!)

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd make a huuuuuge jelly and a trifle... yes grown ups like jelly!.. with ice cream or evaporated milk.. or both.

iced buns
    cheesecakes.. make sure they are cut so easier to serve.

If you shop the day before and buy frozen gateaux they will defrost overnight ready to be cut before guests arrive.. though don't get too many! I'd go for a couple of the double chocolate ones as they are far more popular than the revoltingness that is a black forest gateaux!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    Chocolate brownies
    Mini fruit tarts or flans
    Mini cheese cakes
    Meringues
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I think Pavlova and Eton mess always looks posh you could always make the meringue a few days ahead, could you not borrow one more chocolate fountains they always go down a storm very table pretty with cubed fruit and marshmallows.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    I always revert to Makro in these situations. They have fab frozen desserts - tubs of mini chocolate eclairs, big lemon or custard and cherry tarts, chocolate gateaux and mini individual tortes and puddings. Defrost overnight, chuck a few bowls of berries out and jugs of cream and you're sorted. :)
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • Floozie
    Floozie Posts: 270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A crumble which can be made ahead and frozen
    Trifle which can be made in advance
    Meringues which can be made in advance and can be served as they are on the day with whipped cream or made into eton mess
    Lemon posset which can be made in advance
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    you can make mousses or syllabubs in shot glasses (Poundland etc have disposable ones) & leave on a platter or table with teaspoons.

Lemon syllabubs on a tray with lemon quarters, sprigs of mint & ice-cubes looks impressive. Similarly, strawberry mousse with strawberries, mint & ice looks lovely too.

Tiramisu is a nice dessert that can be cut into small bit-sized squares.
  • pm04gn
    pm04gn Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    Another vote here for brownies and meringues.
    I catered for 90 at my wedding. Made 9 double size brownies (large tray bake tin) over the weeks before and froze them. Bought the fancier meringues (individual) from the supermarkets when on offer.
    Night before remove brownies from freezer. On the cut up brownies, put on platters, put meringues on platters.
    Serve with summer fruits and clotted cream/extra thick double cream.
    Requires minimal fridge space as well.
    Went down a treat!
  • allybee101
    allybee101 Posts: 736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mum and I are doing the desserts for my brother's wedding (100 guests).
    The main dishes are strawberry pavlovas - can become Eton Mess if the meringues crack en route from the Midlands to Devon :eek: - and Profiteroles. Costco do bags of 60 for about £4.
    There'll be extra strawberries and cream if people just want the fruit.

There'll be a couple of trifles/tiramisu as well, and that should do the job.

If you're keen for finger food how about brownies, small pastry tartlets with fillings, fruit kebabs (on cocktail sticks). A big cheese board with crackers. Jelly and ice cream served in plastic cups, brandy snap baskets/rolls filled with cream and fruit.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks...
    keep them coming!

I've made stuff for the school fete and froze samples to see how they defrost.
    I made some mini caramel and chocolate tarts & lemon tarts and mini cheesecakes. I wasn't too impressed by the shop bought sweet pastry so will make my own.
    I've started freezing egg whites too in prevision for meringues; only issue making them early is that if the weather is humid, my meringues can get sticky. We were planning on mini pavlovas... but indeed, Eton mess if it all went wrong.:D

I've found a recipe for "coffee and walnut moelleux" that sounds nice... will be trying these out soon.
    And if I'm feeling brave, I'll have a go at different flavour macaroons.

I've never been to Costco; is it worth it for stuff like paper cases, nuts, sugar, frozen fruit considering I'll have to pay for the membership?
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Mado wrote: »
    I've never been to Costco; is it worth it for stuff like paper cases, nuts, sugar, frozen fruit considering I'll have to pay for the membership?
    No.

(message too short)
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills