Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    David Finch
    Can my employer withhold a promised bonus?
    • 16th Apr 13, 1:59 PM
    Can my employer withhold a promised bonus? 16th Apr 13 at 1:59 PM
    Hi all.

I'm in a fortunate position where I may be told that my employer plans to give me a bonus. Unfortunately I don't plan to stay much longer with the employer.
    I obviously want to receive the bonus and don't feel bad about leaving once it's received. A bonus is a reward for past work done well and not for future work as far as I am concerned.
    I'm not quite sure when to hand in my notice though. To be safe, I was planning to wait till it had cleared in my account, but things are dire and I want to leave sooner. I'm concerned I may be told that for cash-flow reasons I won't receive the bonus for several months, which I don't wish to work.
    If I give my notice after the bonus has been verbally given, but before it's received, does my employer still have to pay it?
    What is the law on this? The Manual for Employee's relates to a separate document on bonuses that doesn't appear to exist.
    I'm concerned that if I ask my employer questions, they will guess what I'm thinking and not offer me the bonus at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    David
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,562Posts Today

11,993Users online

Martin's Twitter