Closing dates of competitions before 12pm.

Options
I like a would think many other people on here like to do the competitions on the day or day before they are due to finish.

The problem is that sometimes I don't get chance to go online until after dinner time. I was just thinking that maybe competitions that are due to end before 12pm (noon) on a certain day the end date is posted as the day before, or even down to 9am? I understand there maybe competitions that you can enter many times such as The Times one's but regarding the others does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• renegadia
    renegadia Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    There are a few posters who post the comp with the end date a day early to cater for those that work or have other things going in. However some, don't and it's very much luck of the draw. Factor in the flash 'open at 9am, shut at 4pm' Twitter comps and you're guaranteed to miss a few.

What I do when I comp by end date, firstly all those that end today, but also those that have an end date of the day after (tomorrow's) and then before bed just double check and then wash, rinse, repeat that. You won't catch 100% of the comps but you'll be very close.
    Golly, I've got the newt pregnant...

**Gulp**
  • Zanzib
    Zanzib Posts: 5,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've added time details to a few comps that haven't shown them recently.

I've noticed that the time will be in the t&c's with the closing date info.

It's annoying to click on a post, then find the competition is already over when I get to the page later in the day...
  • hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just to be pedantic - do you mean noon) as 12pm is actually midnight (12 ours afternoon - post meridian)
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Just to be pedantic - do you mean noon) as 12pm is actually midnight (12 ours afternoon - post meridian)

To be extra pedantic midnight is 12mn, there is no such time as 12pm!
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • pompeypaul25
    Options
    Thanks to all who post comps first of all :A no criticism implied or intended.

But it would be great if the end date was set to the day before for some comps.
    A lot of facebook comps end during the day.
    ITV comps - the Cube 10 am, Loose Women 7:30 am :eek:
    Rafflecopter comps also finish at noon on the day.
    Unfortunately I am rarely far enough ahead these days to do comps ending tomorrow today, and forever clicking through to see the comp has ended.
  • andrew71
    andrew71 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm confused now. Isn't 12pm the afternoon time. midnight time is 12am due to the fact it is start of a new day. The clocks start from 12am upto 11:59pm? If 12pm was at midnight this would make 1am the start of the new day. Or have been wrong all these years?
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,900 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to all who post comps first of all :A no criticism implied or intended.

But it would be great if the end date was set to the day before for some comps.
    A lot of facebook comps end during the day.
    ITV comps - the Cube 10 am, Loose Women 7:30 am :eek:
    Rafflecopter comps also finish at noon on the day.
    Unfortunately I am rarely far enough ahead these days to do comps ending tomorrow today, and forever clicking through to see the comp has ended.

If you treat every closing date as closing the day before the date shown no one else needs to do anything and you will still have exactly the same number of competitions to work through.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,900 Forumite
    Options
    andrew71 wrote: »
    I like a would think many other people on here like to do the competitions on the day or day before they are due to finish.

The problem is that sometimes I don't get chance to go online until after dinner time. I was just thinking that maybe competitions that are due to end before 12pm (noon) on a certain day the end date is posted as the day before, or even down to 9am? I understand there maybe competitions that you can enter many times such as The Times one's but regarding the others does anybody have any thoughts on this?

If an early date is shown then live competitions will be going to GO and some people will miss the chance to enter.
    If the correct dates are shown you know that competitions may close anytime during that day so have the choice of working ahead of that date or not.

I used to end date but it is the risky way of doing things and now with the cross and tick it is much easier to track as comps are added.

With end-dates you risk missing out if

comps close early
    one entry puts you in draws to the end-date
    there are problems with the competition web-site/entry forms near the end (if its a weekend you are usually totally stuffed)
    you are too busy (work or personal) to enter
    you have problems with your PC and/or internet connection
    the forum goes down.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    andrew71 wrote: »
    I'm confused now. Isn't 12pm the afternoon time. midnight time is 12am due to the fact it is start of a new day. The clocks start from 12am upto 11:59pm? If 12pm was at midnight this would make 1am the start of the new day. Or have been wrong all these years?

12mn is at night and 12md is the middle of the day. If people insist on 12am that would be midnight and 12pm would be midday
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • andrew71
    andrew71 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    12mn is at night and 12md is the middle of the day. If people insist on 12am that would be midnight and 12pm would be midday
    That's what I said in my post didn't I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport