Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > Amazon Subscribe and Save scam! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Amazon Subscribe and Save scam!
Views: 2,773
# 1
WOW Factor 0
mac9091
Old 16-03-2013, 10:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Amazon Subscribe and Save scam!

Not sure if this is the best place to put this as in my opinion this is quite a big deal and the more people on the look out the better.

Problem: you chose an item on subscribe and save 1st, 2nd and 3rd deliveries all ok, Just before the 4th delivery you get an email informing you that the price has increased by approx 20% (in my experience)

I think this is a deliberate tactic by Amazon to catch out buyers who slip into the 'i dont need to worry' frame of mind. Now this has happened 4 times to me over the past year and a half three being with dog food and once with razor blades. As the dog food was common i checked the price history of other dog food and noticed that they had not increased by 20% over the same period.

I contacted amazon three months ago and they said that it was a pricing error and then proceeded to deliver my next three dog food orders at the same price, then low and behold i get the same email saying that the price has increased. I have now contacted BBCs watchdog about this and am notifying everyone i can to be vigilant and on the look out for this trend.

Hopefully i am seeing things that aren't there but after so many times and always after the third delivery (regardless of how many months have passed) the price increases.

Please check your subscriptions if you do use it.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
KxMx
Old 16-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I've personally found Amazon to be very clear that the price on subscriptions isn't fixed; and that what you pay for delivery number one may not be the same as delivery number two.
# 3
zenseeker
Old 17-03-2013, 10:34 AM

No scam here, just OP not reading the T&C's properly. Watchdog aren't going to care one iota about this XD
2013 Wins:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zenseeker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
antrobus
Old 17-03-2013, 12:35 PM

I believe that what the OP is suggesting is that Amazon will, once they have hooked you up onto 'subscribe and save', later jack up the price of the product in the hope that you won't notice. Irrespective of whether or not this particular (alleged) practice meets anyone's particular personal defintion of the word 'scam', it seems to me a perfectly valid point worth raising on a money saving website.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antrobus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
pmduk
Old 20-03-2013, 10:07 AM

If they're emailing you to tell you the new price they're hardly hoping you won't notice the increase.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pmduk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
juliean
Old 22-03-2013, 7:29 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Oh, my god. I never pay attention to that. Hope you can find some ways to solve it.
# 7
wookie
Old 22-03-2013, 4:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This is common practice for any business, suck you in with a tempting price and when your hooked, up the price..... Personally I always cancel the subscribe and save when the items have arrived as they always seem to up the price.....
# 8
Haffiana
Old 22-03-2013, 7:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

How does it work though? Does the price go up for everyone, or just for you? Are you paying a different, increased price to every other Amazon user? -easy to check, just use another browser.

If you are not paying a special, higher price than everyone else, then you are being paranoid. Amazon price increases do not revolve around your particular buying habits.
# 9
Helix
Old 22-03-2013, 9:38 PM

I have had them go the other way, the hair styling product I have on subscribe and save has come down in price recently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Helix For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Money maker
Old 22-03-2013, 9:48 PM

Amazon prices fluctuate wildly anyway. I have cat food on s&s, if price is high then I check mysupermarket.com to see if there are any offers on at the supermarkets. Then I put my amazon order back a month if need be. No sweat.
Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
The Following User Says Thank You to Money maker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
vauxhall1
Old 24-03-2013, 1:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I order from Amazon allot and can't say I've ever had an email informing me of this, but I will keep an eye out for this in the future, thanks for the heads up though.
# 12
boots_babe
Old 29-03-2013, 5:17 PM

With Amazon's subscription service, you just get a %age discount from the item's normal price.

There is no guarantee the price will remain the same, which means that if the item's normal price goes up or down, your subscription price will too.

I've had one particular subscription with Amazon for a couple of years now, and have had the occasional increase/decrease over time.

I've got other subscriptions too and never had any problems. So it certainly isn't the case that they get you 'hooked' and then increase the price. Definitely not.

Also, remember they email you a few days prior to every despatch, and prior to any price increase/decrease. So you have the option to skip a particular delivery or cancel altogether.

No scam here, not really sure why you think Watchdog are called for.

The Following User Says Thank You to boots_babe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
pollyskettle
Old 29-03-2013, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money maker View Post
Amazon prices fluctuate wildly anyway. I have cat food on s&s, if price is high then I check mysupermarket.com to see if there are any offers on at the supermarkets. Then I put my amazon order back a month if need be. No sweat.
^^^^ This. I have cat, dog and rabbit food on s&s as well as sacks of rice and something else (I can't think what now, but I know there is something). If I run low, I check the price on Amazon and, unless it has wildly risen, I bring the delivery forward and at the normal delivery time, I check the emails when I get them saying that the item is being prepped for the price and if it's risen wildly I put the delivery back a while, if not, the order goes ahead. I rarely have to delay an order because of price rises, in fact, I can't remember the last time I did. Just last month I brought an order forward by three months and increased it because the supacat cat food we normally get had gone from 24/sack to 11/sack - at 10/sack on s&s, I bought 3 and now have enough cat food for months and months!

No scam here, just a little vigilance required by the buyer, and Amazon do most of the leg work for you even then by emailing you and telling you the price beforehand and giving you the option to cancel! I do keep one of each item that I have on s&s in my saved items so that I get alerted when I log in if the price changes.
"A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
The Following User Says Thank You to pollyskettle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
MulberryPeony
Old 01-04-2013, 5:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've only got one thing on subscribe and save and it's actually gone down in price.
1008 Hollywalk Park Blog
# 15
FluffyFiFi
Old 10-04-2013, 8:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have used subscribe and save for quite a few items and hadn't put two and two together but yes, after the 3rd delivery I have been notified the price has increased. This has happened to three items, one a hair dye, one cat food and one dog food. It does seem odd that it is always after the third delivery but so far I have just cancelled the subscribe and save and started the search again for the cheapest supplier.