Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Can work ask me to delay my surgery? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can work ask me to delay my surgery?
Views: 689
# 1
G_Model101
Old 11-03-2013, 1:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Can work ask me to delay my surgery?

I have a chronic nasal condition that, after being messed around with by the NHS and being passed off by consultants, hopefully is hopefully, finally coming to an end. I finally have a date for surgery in 3 weeks time.
I've worked for a local government authority for just over two years and unfortunately the date I have been given falls at our financial year end. As I've been told I may need 2 weeks off post surgery, my boss has begun to panic and has suggested that my head of department may not allow me to have the time off at this time of year.
Is it possible for them to do this?

It's frustrating because we are a very small team, so whenever I was to have the surgery is going to effect our delivery of service and we are moving offices in the summer, so I'm not sure there is ever going to be an ideal time to have it. Everything is always very "up in the air" at year end, they aren't anticipating problems but I think would desire to have me around should there be any...

I've been incredibly frustrated by the whole experience of dealing with the NHS in treating my condition. I've seen consultants who have told me to keep taking the same unaffective nose drops and was actually booked into have surgery before Christmas, which at the last minute didn't go ahead as a doctor wanted me to have an X-ray instead. My condition isn't life or death, it's just taken so long to get here, is it unreasonable of me to want to treat my problem as soon as I can?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Takeaway_Addict
Old 11-03-2013, 1:49 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Technically they could refuse the day of for the appointment as this would be holiday rather than sickness but then the recovery time would be seen as sickness which they cannot obviously refuse.

It would be very harsh of the employer to refuse it IMO and the manager will have to do his job and cover your illness period.
Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
The Following User Says Thank You to Takeaway_Addict For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
st999
Old 11-03-2013, 5:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I was once asked to change my holiday as it was inconvenient to take it at that time.

Next day I started chatting to my manager in front of other workers and asked him what would happen if I was run over by a bus and killed.

How could the firm manage without me if I was so indispensable.

We would manage OK if you were killed, why wouldn't we?

So I'm getting my holiday then.
He never spoke to me for weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to st999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
dseventy
Old 11-03-2013, 6:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by st999 View Post
I was once asked to change my holiday as it was inconvenient to take it at that time.

Next day I started chatting to my manager in front of other workers and asked him what would happen if I was run over by a bus and killed.

How could the firm manage without me if I was so indispensable.

We would manage OK if you were killed, why wouldn't we?

So I'm getting my holiday then.
He never spoke to me for weeks.
How silly. You really had this conversation?

Do we really want employers to assume that employees are not important to the business?

OP -> How do you want to book the time off? Is this leave or sick leave? As you are in local government you must have a HR department, have you discussed it with them?

D70
How about no longer being masochistic?
How about remembering your divinity?
How about unabashedly bawling your eyes out?
How about not equating death with stopping?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dseventy For This Useful Post: Show me >>