IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Out of date nuts?
Views: 3,792
# 1
queenpig
Old 09-05-2007, 2:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Angry Out of date nuts?

Right found these in the cuboard they haven't been opened as of yet and have been shelled (is that right word for they have been taken out of their shells? lol)

walnuts bb - dec 2006

chopped nuts mixed - march 2007

pecans feb - 2007.

Also poppy seeds but cant find a date for them so no doubt out of date.

so would you still used them, should i make them in ercipes asap, or would you bin them?

TIA Queenpig x
p.s sorry if you find another theard by me of this very one sorry it went mad before i finished lol ????
Grocery Challenge. 400. - 35.22 + 19.80 + 109.01 = 164.03
Other spends (Clothes Luxuries etc)11.97 + 1.19 + 7.36 + 69.00 + 38.50 + 5.50 + 23.00 +2.00 = 158.52
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
overlykeensaver
Old 09-05-2007, 2:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You'll have to open them to taste one to see how soft or stale they are but they don't seem hugely out of date so I would just get on and use them up.
The Following User Says Thank You to overlykeensaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Plum Pie
Old 09-05-2007, 2:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Can't find link but know that the mould that grows on peanuts is one of the most carcinogenic substances on earth. If the mixed nuts contain peanuts, I would avoid them, personally. (I'm not usually very concerned with 'eat by' dates, I usually rely on my eys and nose!)

No comment on the others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plum Pie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
juno
Old 09-05-2007, 2:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Go and feed them to the outside birds
Sealed pot challenge #377
Target 125 - 2009 total 117.57
2010 total 151.95

Murphy's No More Pies Club #209
The Following User Says Thank You to juno For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
tightasagnats
Old 09-05-2007, 2:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have found that the oils in nuts goes rancid when old, and then they taste bad and need to be in the tummies of birds, not you. Peanut advice above taken, other nuts I reckon if they taste ok then they are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tightasagnats For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
queenpig
Old 09-05-2007, 5:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Think I'll give them to the birds. Better to be safe and all that.
Next question how do I make a bird feeding thing where would I put as I have cats also.
Grocery Challenge. 400. - 35.22 + 19.80 + 109.01 = 164.03
Other spends (Clothes Luxuries etc)11.97 + 1.19 + 7.36 + 69.00 + 38.50 + 5.50 + 23.00 +2.00 = 158.52
# 7
sinister nutmeg
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Old nuts!

Hello everyone,

I have searched for this and not found anyting useful, but apologies if there's already a great big thread on the subject...

How long do unshelled nuts stay edible?

I have a small basket full of mixed unshelled nuts that we had at christmas (this year, mind!) and which, despite my best nagging, did not get eaten up. I was going to shell them all and bung them in a muesli, but is there a reason not to since they've been sitting in my living room for 6+ months? Obviously the packaging is long gone so I have no idea even what sort of BBE date goes on nuts in their shells! Any experience you can share with me would be greatly appreciated! I have tasted one of the hazelnuts and it didn't seem rancid or anything, but I don't want to slowly poison my OH via muesli!

I'm normally quite able to choose whether to eat ood stuff by look and smell, but I've never had to judge nuts before and I'm worried there's something I don't know.

Many thanks in advance,
Meg
# 8
kate83
Old 09-07-2010, 2:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi,
You'd know if the nuts had gone off as they taste horrible, really plasticky - the same as gone off cooking oil if you've ever smelt that.

If they taste ok and have no sign of mould on then they're fine - the only ones I'd be a bit wary of is peanuts as they are really prone to mould and a toxin called aflotoxin which is nasty.

x
The Following User Says Thank You to kate83 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
zippychick
Old 09-07-2010, 2:58 PM

Hi Sinister

I didn't find any massive threads about it either, but did find one with some discussion Out of date nuts

To be honest I wouldn't have thought they would go off or be of any danger but that thread also confirms the peanut risks . That is entirely my niaevity so you learn something new every single day !

TheFoods Standards Agency website is a good source of information on food hygiene and safety and may offer some help or advice.

I know the nuts thread is pretty old but i am going to merge this with it if that is ok with you - it is relevant and will help others in future.

Food safety thread may also offer some help as the question may have been asked in there before

let us know how you get on - if in doubt, don't risk it.

Zip
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

The Following User Says Thank You to zippychick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
sinister nutmeg
Old 09-07-2010, 3:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks guys, that's really helpful. I was vaguely aware of the aflatoxin issue, I think that's what was niggling at me, but these are all christmassy tree nuts so I'm going ahead and using them - they're definitely not 'off' going by the description above!

Do go ahead and merge, of course! I will update for others' reference if either of us get side effects

This year, I will be shelling every nut in the house on Twelfth Night and making a nut roast or something. Can't believe I carried on hoping someone would eat them for half a year!
The Following User Says Thank You to sinister nutmeg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
zippychick
Old 09-07-2010, 3:36 PM

I love nuts dry toasted in a frying pan (no oil or anything) thrown into salads, couscous, sandwiches etc x
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zippychick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
sinister nutmeg
Old 09-07-2010, 3:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

ooh, me too, good point. I'm sure a pesto-type thing for post-christmas light meals would go down well too - I'll leave myself a note!
The Following User Says Thank You to sinister nutmeg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
meritaten
Old 09-07-2010, 8:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

just make sure you shell one or two of each type of nut.
I had a bag of mixed nuts left over from christmas a couple of years back and around november decided to make some fat balls for the birds and thought i would use the nuts (shelled). the hazelnuts and almonds were fine - the walnuts were definitately 'off' most of them were blackened and shriveled. the brazil nuts although they looked ok when i started chopping them they all seemed to have a yucky brownish middle.
before that I wondered why there were recipes for pickled walnuts in my old recipe book - they obviously dont keep for too long!
There sure are a lot of laws in this country - but there aint much Justice!!!
(Dean Koontz - One Door Away From Heaven)
# 14
psso
Old 09-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you don`t want to eat the nuts, you could maybe make candle holders out of them.

Stick them together - I`d use a hot glue gun- leaving a hole in the centre for a candle to sit snuggly in. Decorate with anything you like - Christmassy stuff, artificial poinsettias etc for table decorations.
Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy

Charity knitting 2014.
11 baby blankets;3 pet blankets;35 hedgehogs;8 baby/ child`s hat, 4 prem bodywarmers,2 neckwarmers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psso For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Paulie'sGirl
Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi all,

Just for future note, Rachael Ray from 30 Minute Meals reckons you should store them in the freezer to prolong their shelf life. I now do this with all my nuts.

PGxx
# 16
Gloomendoom
Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 PM

Oddly enough, I'm still eating my way through a big basket of hazel nuts that I picked last autumn. No ill effects yet.

Edit: Just tried a walnut, also picked last autumn, and it tasted fine as do the bought last year almonds.

Last edited by Gloomendoom; 09-07-2010 at 10:47 PM.
# 17
Charis
Old 09-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie'sGirl View Post
Hi all,

Just for future note, Rachael Ray from 30 Minute Meals reckons you should store them in the freezer to prolong their shelf life. I now do this with all my nuts.

PGxx
It's also how you can get the shell off a brazil nut without crushing the nut. Thaw first, of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Agapanthus
Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritaten View Post
before that I wondered why there were recipes for pickled walnuts in my old recipe book - they obviously dont keep for too long!
We get a lot of walnuts from friends - no best before date on those. In our experience they keep a couple of years and when they're off they really let you know - they taste vile!

Pickeld walnuts are made from unripe nuts - green walnuts picked in June, rather than October/November when they're ripe. The French make a liqueur from green walnuts, which is very nice. Mind you, the French seem to be able to make a liqueur from almost anything!
If we are supposed to be thin, why does chocolate exist?
# 19
sinister nutmeg
Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Oh wow, I'm so glad I asked now - I feel educated about nuts in general! Thanks so much everyone.

The muesli, by the way, seems to be going down a treat, with no ill effects.