Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Very confusing bank situation (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Very confusing bank situation
Views: 758
# 1
Viberduo
Old 21-02-2013, 10:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Very confusing bank situation

What can I do about this? You could say its my fault in part but I had money in last weekend when I was paid then treated myself as I saved for a while then with what I spent had 97 in bank still so took out 70 to last a week so when I paid sky bill I had about 5 left and got 22 paid in leaving 27 then I paid for some gas at new property(cant remember exact amount but under 10) so assumed I had about 19 in credit.

Bank says the 27 was what I had BEFORE I paid the 22 which makes no sense as I paid the 22 to sky on Saturday and only made the other transactions last night and my balance after card payments came out Friday left me with the 97(not a single one was due to come off after)

This isnt the first time this has happened recently but first time I got overdrawn due to it so its very confusing.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Find The Real
Old 21-02-2013, 11:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm sorry my maths is not that good so I can't really work out the exact balance on everything at the time but you will find most banks tend not to update over the weekend so it sounds like the payments went out before the your payment went in therefore making the account overdrawn at some point.

It would probably be best rather than taking most of the cash out to make sure you have enough to cover any unpaid amounts, just have a small amount in reserve should there be any unexpected payments that you have not accounted for and that way you should avoid going overdrawn.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
# 3
Viberduo
Old 21-02-2013, 11:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes, the thing is though when I went to the bank on the Friday, all the earmarked transactions had lowered my available funds at the time and that is what I went by i.e lets say I had 150 in the account on Thursday and spent 53 on card I knew I had 97 left and when I asked the bank on Friday they said AVAILABLE funds 97 and then I took out 70 cash leaving 27, so I knew I had 27 left so spent 22 of that on Saturday and had a 22 credit in on Monday so when I checked my account it said I had 27 left

So I assumed I had 27 in, minus 15 for a payment from Sky(which they took wrongfully) which would leave me with 12 in, I then spent about 9 on the card(cant remember exact pence so it could be 50p each way) not 20 overdrawn.

The other thing is, I know it takes a few days to clear but if the payment was earmarked to leave the account then the available funds should of gone down.

Forgot to say, I remember asking in branch on Monday that I was waiting for a payment in and they told me a 22 payment just went out to Sky so I had 5 left(so it had already been taken) then on Tuesday it was 27 in credit so I assumed the 22 payment was in.

Now I think about it I wonder of the 22 payment arrived in as that would explain everything.
# 4
Find The Real
Old 21-02-2013, 11:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Card payments can take longer to show up as a transaction as it depends on when the merchant puts it through the system so there may have been a overlap there.

The best thing to do would have a daily update yourself on a spread sheet so you can tick off what has gone through the account and what it is outstanding so you know how much cash to take out as banking systems are not instant and so the available balance may not take into account any recent charges or payments.

# 5
Viberduo
Old 21-02-2013, 11:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find The Real View Post
Card payments can take longer to show up as a transaction as it depends on when the merchant puts it through the system so there may have been a overlap there.

The best thing to do would have a daily update yourself on a spread sheet so you can tick off what has gone through the account and what it is outstanding so you know how much cash to take out as banking systems are not instant and so the available balance may not take into account any recent charges or payments.
Normally I am fine but the whole confusion comes from the fact I now seem to have less than I thought taking everything into account and the woman in the branch confirmed the payment had been taken and even listed the name of company(which I thought they couldnt do unless it was taken)
# 6
Find The Real
Old 22-02-2013, 12:08 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would check on that 22 payment in as without it I worked out you would be overdrawn. Do you not have internet banking as it is a lot easier to see when payments are going in and out of the account.

# 7
Viberduo
Old 22-02-2013, 12:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well I do but its like a 28 digit long number you have to enter and I keep forgetting it, I can do telephone banking but hate the process.

Will try it anyway as I have a landline number(thank god for saynoto0870) for the call centre just hate the 5 minutes it takes typing in and going through security
# 8
Find The Real
Old 22-02-2013, 12:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you can get used to the internet banking it would probably be better as you can see what is going in an out the account and get a better idea to be able to budget as it is a lot clearer to see it in front on you that given the information on the phone, who do you bank with?

I hope you can work something out but I would think about keeping a small amount in the account if you can for any payments you may have missed, especially over the weekend.

# 9
harrys dad
Old 22-02-2013, 9:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You do not need to "wait 5 minutes" to go through the call menu, or even type in your a/c number (they usually ask again anyway). When connected just press ####### and it usually puts you straight through to a person.

Does your "28 number" internet a/c have a "remember my customer" feature (Nationwide does)? If it does just be careful you only use it on a computer where you are the only person who can access it, although it will still need a password.
# 10
Viberduo
Old 25-02-2013, 12:19 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, even more confusing, the next day was 15 in credit, then day aftert that was 7 in debt again.

No idea what is happening as I have made no more transactions and when I asked about the last few they told me last one was the same day as I was 19 overdrawn.