PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

best way to freeze home made scones

Options
JuneBow
JuneBow Posts: 302 Forumite
edited 26 February 2013 at 1:58PM in Old style MoneySaving
I would like to make different varieties of scone eg stilton and walnut, olive and feta etc,
I would like to be able to put them in the freezer and take out only a couple at a time because, obviously scones do not keep very well.
Is it best to freeze them
1. cooked, then microwave warm
2. uncooked
3. half cooked then cook them from frozen or defrosted.
I think I have seen some scones in the freezer at the supermarket. (aunt bessie) How do they do it?
I would like to be able to just take them from the freezer if someone comes.
Looking for advice here!

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]

Comments

• Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Cook, cool, bag and freeze is all I do, and the get out of the freezer before I need them.
    Not sure how zapping in the microwave would work it could dry them out, but a quick blast and stand would work I guess!
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • redgrave2009
    Options
    I just put them on a plate ( not touching each other) and pop in freezer. When frozen pop them in a freezer bag or tupperware. I take one out when needed in the morning - it usually is defrosted by afternoon.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    I have baked too many, and then put uneaten ones in a bag in the freezer. Warmed up for 10 mins in the oven and they tasted great. Scones are pretty simple- no need to make them comlicated!

Jam before cream of course....
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    Like Meadows said
    Cook, cool, bag and freeze is all I do, and the get out of the freezer before I need them.
    Not sure how zapping in the microwave would work it could dry them out, but a quick blast and stand would work I guess!

If you want them warm, wrap each in a piece of kitchen paper and zap in microwave for 30 seconds.
  • Floozie
    Floozie Posts: 270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I freeze uncooked scones, I open freeze them on a tray then put them into bags of 4 and pop in freezer. When I have guests around I take them from freezer, let them defrost and then bake in oven for a freshly baked scone. I have found that if I freeze baked scones then reheat them in oven they can be a bit dry.
  • GranB
    GranB Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2013 at 1:33AM
    Options
    I guess a lot would depend on the recipe you use - i love this one
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4622/classic-scones-with-jam-and-clotted-cream
    with 145g dried mixed fruit (or sultanas) added - cook, freeze in a zip bag and nuke for 30 seconds when required.
    I think a bit rich to add jam and cream too but I may only be saying that because i am trying to cut down and jealous of anyone having the J an C too :D

would love to know your recipe for olive and feta ones <slurp, drool>
    :hello: - dedicated lurker -

Some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree
  • JuneBow
    JuneBow Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    Just came back on this board and apologise to those I have not thanked before. Did not realise there would be so many replies.
    GranB wrote: »

would love to know your recipe for olive and feta ones <slurp, drool>
    No idea yet!:rotfl::rotfl:
    Just thought about it but probably just cut both up.
    I find that small scones are great canapes when people come for drinks.
    I try to make them a bit different.
    Black pudding is nice.
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, I have olives that no one is eating and some feta in the fridge... wanted to make scones for weekend in the caravan... plan! Thanks JuneBow for the idea :)
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • parkgirl
    parkgirl Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    I've just frozen some scone mix ie before I added the milk and "flavour" - thought it would take up less room and that I could just take out what I needed and make them whichever flavour we fancied at the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure