Marry me, marry my debts?

Options
I am getting married this year, and i have a DMP in place, with another year or so to go until i'm done.

I wanted to know when i get married, does my debt then become my H2B's responsibility? Will the company who mange my debt want to take into consideration his income and want more from me/us? I already live with him, this they know, i just dont want to be chased by anyone once i get married, as i am so close to being done with the debt, i just want to carry on as i am!

Thanks!

Comments

• soontobemrsg
    Options
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (having never been in a DMP) but I believe that the marriage will make no difference unless any debt is secured against something jointly owned.
    BYS # 7 £0 /£1000
    Quit smoking Sept 2013 - Saved £525 (4/12/13)
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Nope. Debts belong to the debtor, not the house or the spouse.

You are not obliged to fill out any statement of account forms as though you were in a joint household and no debt can be registered against your husband, unless he actually agrees to this and you have a joint understanding, such as a credit card for instance.

There are some issues around joint accounts when one of the partnership has a bad credit rating, so my advice is to not enter into such an arrangement until your DMP is finished. Essentially, mortgages in joint names will take into account BOTH credit ratings and therefore you could potentially destroy any chance you both had of getting a mortgage. In my own case, my OH is the naughty one but I could finance the house independently...what the bank doesnt know wont hurt them, so its all good.

Now, if the debt is a secured one and you enter into a joint ownership arrangement of that surety, then, potentially, it could blow back on your spouse if it all went wrong later down the line.

Consumer credit applies to the individual though.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • marzom
    marzom Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    So how do you do a SOA if you are able to exclude your partner? For instance I pay my wife a certain amount per month to cover Council Tax, gas, electric and share food costs. Everything is in her name as I do not want any joint house ownership etc until I am debt free.

Would the amount I pay go down as board/rent/lodgings?
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    marzom wrote: »
    So how do you do a SOA if you are able to exclude your partner? For instance I pay my wife a certain amount per month to cover Council Tax, gas, electric and share food costs. Everything is in her name as I do not want any joint house ownership etc until I am debt free.

Would the amount I pay go down as board/rent/lodgings?
    You either put down the partner's contribution as partner income rather than the full income or no partner income and only include half the joint expenses and none of the partners personal expenses.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ceri1506 wrote: »
    I am getting married this year, and i have a DMP in place, with another year or so to go until i'm done.

I wanted to know when i get married, does my debt then become my H2B's responsibility? Will the company who mange my debt want to take into consideration his income and want more from me/us? I already live with him, this they know, i just dont want to be chased by anyone once i get married, as i am so close to being done with the debt, i just want to carry on as i am!

Thanks!

Thanks for asking this OP, my OH is on a DWP and we're thinking of getting married next year and I had been wondering about this :)
  • Delree
    Delree Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The only thing to mention is that if you haven't told your fianc!e about it (and I'm sure you have), this could bite you later down the line if you apply for a mortgage or something.
  • Debtfreee
    Options
    I think I'm right in saying that joint bank accounts will cause a problem for your husband to be for the duration of the DMP and any defaults so I would take advice on this before arranging anything jointly to avoid causing future problems.
    My lightbulb moment was Sept 2005 when I had £55,000 of unsecured debt including interest, CCCS are brilliant and my loans were cleared in October 2012, 3 years early. Now a dedicated saver not spender (although trying not to be boring about it!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport