Food, my biggest expense....

Options
TimeforTea_4
TimeforTea_4 Posts: 29 Forumite
edited 21 December 2012 at 3:33PM in Debt-free wannabe
I am trying to be DF but we just can not seem to lower out Shopping bill, We like to eat healthy but i just can`t figure out a way to do this on a budget...

We spend £100 per week for a family of 4.

I see other claim they spen £50 per week, i just don`t know how they do it?

xx:cool::cool::cool:

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TimeforTea wrote: »
    I am trying to be DF but we just can not seem to lower out Shopping bill, We like to eat healthy but i just can`t figure out a way to do this on a budget...

We spend £100 per week for a family of 4.

I see other claim they spen £50 per week, i just don`t know how they do it?

xx:cool::cool::cool:
    In my opinion £100 a week for a family of four is acceptable. Dividing out £100 by 4 makes £25 per person then dividing that out over the number of meals in a week makes £1 a meal with £4 left over for snacks and drinks.

Whenever I shop I aim for every meal to cost less than £1 per person per meal. So a meat portion being about 100 grams then the meat should cost less than £5 per kilogram so that each portion is 50p or less and then another 50p for vegetables and sides such as pasta and rice.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • MoneyMission
    MoneyMission Posts: 652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 December 2012 at 5:55PM
    Options
    Hi TimeforTea

Head over to the old style boards. They do menu plans that will show you the sort of meals you can eat on a budget but they also include enough fruit and veg to make it healthy. Plenty of ideas - it made a huge difference to us. Once we adjusted (and it did take some time and some pain) we get along fine on our budget of £70.00 per week for 2 adults and 2 children. This is for all food (including packed lunches for 3 of us each day), cleaning and toiletries. Some do it for less and they do it very well but I choose not to go below that amount.

My best bit of advice from those Old Stylers: meal plan, make a list based on the meal plan, stick to it when you shop and take only cash with you. It sure does focus the mind!

Best of luck.

MM
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £2,420 / £2,420 - 100% :T
  • LottieLou
    Options
    Ironically, the expense of food is one of the reasons I was diagnosed with anorexia at 22. It's not that I couldn't afford food, but I loved nothing more than going round supermarket as a student, list and calculator in hand. I used to spend £50 per month on food, really your spending £100 per person and eating well, doesn't sound that bad to me. Food is what sustains us, maybe complain about sub-standard produce you have bought and stock up on coupons they send in apology :)
  • Norfolk_Jim
    Options
    I don't know how they do it either. I try as hard as I can but I still end spending an average £70pw for my family of 4.

That is for all grocery shopping, not just food, includes detergent, sanitary stuff, pet food, etc

There was a time when I could manage on £2 a day and did, but I'd be surprised if that could still be done now unless you adopt extreme austerity, which unless everyone joins in and sees it as a challenge (in which case it can become almost enjoyable) it can't be sustained that long.

The old style boards is a good place to look for tips.
    My opinion for what its worth is that unless both partners in the marriage work together - all the old style tips in the world wont help.
    I think where it will work is when one partner ...
    (unless your single, or a single parent. If your a single parent then you have my admiration if you can do this, you must be like superman - or is it superperson these days?)
    ...takes this on as their contribution to the cause. It takes time to do the things suggested and even with good management it requires a fair bit of effort - Others I'm sure will disagree - this is just my own experience.

Good luck
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 28 December 2012 at 11:57AM
    Options
    It's really a case of adjusting your expectations.

For a start, nothing that can be made is bought. So, if you want sausage rolls for the week, instead of paying £3.50 per 25cm sausage roll, you buy a pound of sausage meat for £1.16 and a block of puff pastry for £1. Therefore, where you would have bought two large sausage rolls from the supermarket 2 for £6, you actually made the same amount (or more) for £2.16. Before you say that making sausage rolls takes time, I timed it once and it took me 20 minutes including 15 minutes cooking time to make a dozen 3 inch wide mini rolls for the weeks lunches.

Baked goods such as cakes, scones and pastries are made at the weekend, usually a Saturday morning and sometimes (depending on how I'm feeling) involve the kids. These last all week and serve as both snacks and lunch fillers.

Same with pizza. I bought a large domonios pizza last week for £9.99. I can make the same pizza with toppings for £5. If you have a bread maker, the dough is stupidly easy to make.

All bread is made in our house daily. Partly for philosophical reasons, partly in protest at the appalling standard of commercial bread these days. Bread is made overnight and takes about 5 minutes of an evening to set up the machine. 3kg of flour is 69p and from that, I make 6 good loaves of fresh bread...or a weeks bread for under a pound. When it's on sale, I buy flour allot and stock up.

Tomato sauce. I used to buy stuff like Lloyd Grossman at about £3.50 a jar. Now I buy at least a dozen tins of tomatoes a month and make my own.

Veg is bought and blanched and frozen. Cheap as chips from the market.

Meat, I intersperse offal with better quality cuts and have found that a Sunday roast, used properly lasts until at least weds. This is a much more economical method of buying meat than in small packets. Kidneys, hearts, liver etc are firm favourites in my house along with less fashionable meat such as venison (shockingly cheap) and mutton (also shockingly cheap). Steak and kidney pies with suet crust pastry is a wonderful winter meal.

All you need to learn these skills are a few old cook books and some common sense.

How much do I spend a month? £200 for 2 adults, two children all in. I even manage organic veg boxes ever other week.

So, how? Firstly, ditch the supermarkets. Go fir the family butcher, the local Market and Aldi. Buy nothing you can make cheaper. Learn to make soap (ridiculously easy) and stop buying anything in a box, carton or tin foil tray. Grow what you can, make do without what you don't actually need and boycott anything advertised as a bargain.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Credit-Crunched
    Options
    Two ways:

Shop at Aldi / Lidl

Make from scratch

I knock up a generic tomato based sauce on Sunday, then throughout the week use portions and add spices / herbs / meats etc depending on what I am making.

Big bag of spuds and onions will set you back £3 max, this will make soup for 4 a few times a week. Healthy, filling and cheap.

If you have kids, make bread, its fun, healthier and cheaper.

my favorite is 5 bean stew

Passata / kidney beans / chick peas etc, bang it in a pan an its delicious

Hot dog casserole - large jar of frankfurters, onions, mustard and tomatoe base.

Stay away from brands and £100 will go a long way!
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    I agree with making things yourself and also going to the supermarket when things are reduced and getting meat & bread items. I can't remember the last time I bought full price meat which really does bring the cost down. Markets, farm shops and reduced times at the supermarkets for fruit and veg

I buy a sack of potatoes that lasts for about 4 months for £7 (stored in the shed). alcohol really increases the price of food shopping.

And lastly seems like a no-brainer but we all do it, try and have a week where you don't go shopping, in fact don't spend anything other than on milk and petrol and you will surprise yourself at what you have already in your cupboards!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • laineygirl
    Options
    Why does everyone advise people in almost shocked/hushed tones to shop at Lidl and Adi as though its slightly beyond the pale to shop there. The quality and choice is as good as or even better than major supermarkets. Anybody with any sense should shop there. I was amazed when I did my first shop at how much money I had actually saved and the quality of the meat fruit and veg is brill.
    I use Poundland to buy branded soaps, shampoos etc. The Bargain shop chain is great too, selling items that are twice the price in other shops and supermarkets.
    I went with a friend to Sains...... the other day and kept saying thats only .... at and saying where I had bought it from. Once you get over the shop snobbery you'll save money hand over fist.
    I agree with the others though
    Menu Plan..
    Take a list and try to stick with it.
    Don't go when you're hungry.
    Only take cash.
    We went from spending £120 a week for the 2 of us down to £45 for everything by just biting the bullet getting over the fact that a lot of people think Lidl etc are for the poor . Just take a look in their car parks and you can tell the clientele is definitely on the up. People realise that the big supermarkets are taking them for a ride price wise. We had a Aldi open across the road from an Asda. within 2 weeks Asdas prices had gone down. Just shows you....
  • tizzicat
    Options
    I go shopping once every 8 days instead of once a week. After 8 weeks, I have saved a week's shopping money! ;) That's £80 for two of us. Over a year that works out to £480, which I use to pay a lump sum off of my mortgage.:T
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    laineygirl wrote: »
    Why does everyone advise people in almost shocked/hushed tones to shop at Lidl and Adi as though its slightly beyond the pale to shop there. The quality and choice is as good as or even better than major supermarkets. Anybody with any sense should shop there. I was amazed when I did my first shop at how much money I had actually saved and the quality of the meat fruit and veg is brill.

Exactly! I used to shop in Morrisons, then i went to asda and for the last year, it has been almost exclusively Aldi for my bulk purchases. Frankly, I don't give a damn what my neighbours might think. I shop where the prices are fair for a quality item and I'm afraid that I'm more and more disappointed each time I walk into one of the big five. The only thing I go to Morrrisons for now is the deli counter and their bowls of cooked meat offcuts which are currently 59p per 100g, or a little over £2 for a pound of cooked meat. I also highly recommend the salad bar which makes an excellent accompaniment to some cold meat....a medium mixed salad bowl is £2 and split 4 ways is quite sufficient for a family. Other than that....

Aldi on the other hand supply nice quality pseudo brands which have never disappointed yet. The carpark is almost always filled with higher end cars.

I buy eggs from a friend who raises his own chickens and are therefore never short of omlettes, flans, cakes etc.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills