Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Food Shopping & Groceries > Gone Off! > Are refillable pods for Dolce Gusto coffee machin... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Are refillable pods for Dolce Gusto coffee machines any good?
Views: 24,094
# 1
SRH
Old 11-12-2012, 9:50 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Are refillable pods for Dolce Gusto coffee machines any good?

One of my cousins was given a Nescafe Dolce Gusto machine last Christmas but, as she doesn't drink coffee, she has kindly given it to me (she wouldn't take any money for it but we've agreed I'll give a 20 donation to a charity for her, which is nice).

There is a mini-selection of the coffee pods with it which are nice, but I'd really like to be able to use my own ground coffee with it (not cheap but it's my weekend treat to have a big pot of coffee in bed so I've got a few different ones in my cupboard). I've also found the pods to be sweetened, which is horrible.

I've seen refillable pods for sale online and wondered if anyone had tried them? Do they actually work? Can you recommend any good places to buy them?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
SRH
Old 11-12-2012, 2:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hmmmmm... on second look it doesn't look like refillable pods exist for the Dolce Gusto after all. Grrrrrrrr.
# 3
frugal_shopper
Old 11-12-2012, 3:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The original pods can be refilled but it can be fiddly to do so, plenty of videos about showing hot to do it such as:
http://youtu.be/XO-CKLJLuIM
If you register the machine you will get a 10 voucher to use in their online shop which can go towards the cost of the overpriced coffee pods.
https://www.dolce-gusto.co.uk/EN/reg...istration.aspx

If I recall correctly the sweetener is only added to the creamer pods so skipping them & adding milk instead would be the easiest way to avoid it if you continue to use the machine. Alternately pass the machine on to someone who actually likes the stuff they claim is coffee & let them waste their money on refills instead while you go back to whichever method you used to make proper coffee before.
The Following User Says Thank You to frugal_shopper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
SRH
Old 11-12-2012, 6:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ha ha! Thanks for the advice. I took it and signed up on the website to get my free 10 worth. The couple of samples I've already tried were hit and miss. The Americano was rather good but the milk in the latte etc is horribly sweet, which is rubbish. As such I've ordered just Americano and Espresso so that I can add my own milk. Suspect it will mainly get used when I have guests as it does add nice froth and has the novelty value too.
# 5
jenster
Old 12-12-2012, 9:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i was looking at one of these machines as a Christmas present to myself via hubby of course LOL but i too priced up the pods and wondered if it was worth it
and maybe i;ll pass then
The Following User Says Thank You to jenster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
meer53
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I've been looking at them too as a gift for my son for Xmas. Lo and behold at work on Monday, Tassimo turned up with their T20 machine for 35 !! Result ! I won't be buying the discs so i'm not worried about the cost ! Although as a treat i don't suppose they're that bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to meer53 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
frosty
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The skinny latte is nice not as sweet as the normal one.
The Following User Says Thank You to frosty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
C_Mababejive
Old 12-12-2012, 1:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

We have one in the house,not purchased by me. It got some use them got stuffed in the cupboard along with the bread maker and other similar devices. I personally didnt rate the quality of the drinks and i think you'd be far better off with a coffee perculator and your favourite coffee..

As for the OP...maybe bang it on Ebay as it could be a good time to get rid?
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
The Following User Says Thank You to C_Mababejive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
SRH
Old 12-12-2012, 3:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks everyone. I've asked my OH for a milk frother for Christmas (Boden - 20 - and too frivolous a price to buy for myself!) and will use that with my old faithful cafettiere and the Americano Dolce Gusto pods on occation as despite the price, it's much easier to clean than my caffetiere.
# 10
Idiophreak
Old 12-12-2012, 4:03 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRH View Post
it's much easier to clean than my caffetiere.
Convenience is definitely the main advantage of the DG machine.

I don't mind most of the coffees (as I have a bit of a sweet tooth anyway) and I really quite like a couple of the espressos and the caramel lates especially...

The strength of the thing is that you press on, grab a pod and cup, flick the lever, wait 30 seconds, then enjoy your coffee and stick the mug in the dishwasher...no waiting, no mess...

If I was after a "treat", I wouldn't recommend it...but as a lazy alternative to putting the kettle on, I think it's great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Idiophreak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
jbro
Old 12-12-2012, 4:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've just rediscovered my old Italian stove-top espresso maker and bought some bargain packs of Segafredo coffee from B and M. To be honest, I don't think you can beat the quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to jbro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Gixer77
Old 11-03-2014, 6:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I found these which look interesting. Only a matter of time before others come up with similar solutions - (can't insert link so go to eBay and search for "EMOHOME 3pcs EMOCUP Refillable Capsules Compatible with Dolce Gusto System Reuse)"