Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Thursday 6th December - What small DFW things wil... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Thursday 6th December - What small DFW things will you do today?
Views: 617
# 1
determined new ms
Old 06-12-2012, 7:53 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Smile Thursday 6th December - What small DFW things will you do today?

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important.

Morning guys Happy Thursday love this point in the week when you know its a hop, skip and a jump into the weekend so yesterday I was offered the job, which I am very happy about but I think I'm going to turn it down as it seems like its not the right step for me. Am going to use the experience to help me for my interview Monday....

Things for the day:
* check banking
* shift some funds
* all meals from stores - something out of the freezer
* check onepoll
* go into town at lunch and look for a suit or suit jacket
* complete job application and submit
* bid on material ending today
* spending tonight with bff watching a film will make some popcorn

think that's everything. Hope you all have a great day!

NTBY really hope that things pick up for you lovely, remember perni's words and be kind. I do understand what you mean re the obsession over money and I have had to take a step backwards recently to just chill a bit as I became a money nazi. I became aware that I have friends who have a lot less money than me but who act much more freely with it (I also know they aren't in debt) which got me thinking that maybe I assume a sense of poverty. So recently I've been trying to ease that up a little and it has taken some pressure off IYSWIM? x
VSP- £165.34
Save £12K in 2014 £2377.2.65/£7000

Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £300/£5000[/CENTER]

Last edited by determined new ms; 06-12-2012 at 8:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to determined new ms For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
mummybearx
Old 06-12-2012, 7:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Gooooood morning!!

Usual list today, check banking, do competitions, do swagbucks, don't buy any food or anything else

Really really busy at work, so will squeeze in what I can.

Hopefully it buckets down with snow and we get sent home from work I could do with a day in my pj's watching movies with dh and the dogs
Can't think of anything smart to put here...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mummybearx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
rising from the ashes
Old 06-12-2012, 8:14 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

mMorning all thanks DNMS for starting us off & congrats on the job (and fingers crossed for the next interview on Mon!) zepsgal movies with DH & the dog sounds good ... will keep my fingers crossed for snow for you!

List for today
  • Have bath, thermals on ..... heating off
  • B / L / D from stores
  • Donít smoke
  • Check online banking, shuffle as needed & update spreadsheets
  • Sort cats & tidy up
  • Check e*bay listings & cat food swap / sale site
  • Knit DMs Christmas scarf .... running out of time!
  • Washing & hang up Done
  • Finish marking up weekday "to do" notebook
  • Sort through mags & remove recipes & find somewhere to put them! Recycle what's left (thanks Jonno!)
  • Sort through 3 bags of old paperwork & shred
  • Reserve Iron so I can run in & collect on way back from hospital tomorrow
  • Pick chicken - make stock & then Risotto & Soup .... yum! Chicken picked, stock made & soup on!
Have a great day everyone
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual £2080
CCP claim success!

Last edited by rising from the ashes; 06-12-2012 at 12:51 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mummybearx
Old 06-12-2012, 9:00 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rising from the ashes View Post
mMorning all thanks DNMS for starting us off & congrats on the job (and fingers crossed for the next interview on Mon!) zepsgal movies with DH & the dog sounds good ... will keep my fingers crossed for snow for you!
Snow for me, snow for you, I don't think you are too far from me

Congrats on the job DNMS! Even if you aren't taking it, it's good to know you done enough to get it

And RFTA, you don't have 'find the camping stove' on your list??
Can't think of anything smart to put here...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mummybearx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
rising from the ashes
Old 06-12-2012, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepsgal View Post
Snow for me, snow for you, I don't think you are too far from me
Funnily enough, it seems to be missing me just now - DM&DF about 40 miles away & they've loads & loads 20 miles up the road but we've just had a smattering here ....

Quote:
And RFTA, you don't have 'find the camping stove' on your list??
Wondered if you'd notice! I've found it!
CCP claim success!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
ziggy2407
Old 06-12-2012, 9:49 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good Morning my lovelies

dnms - thanks for starting us off and congrats on the job, everything crossed for Monday. Very wise words for NTBY and I think I may try and be a little more kind to me and mine.

Hi to all the regulars and welcome to any lurkers and newbies , you've joined a FAB supportive thread.

Well little one feeling much better today (doesnt look it though) and has begged to go to school so he's gone and they will call me should he go downhill, yesterdays trip to the Drs just resulted in more Calpol as he has a viral infection and appears to be through the worst of it - fingers crossed as we have signed up to do a "Santa Jog" on Sunday for BHF. Todays little list

Check Banks - Done
Check swapits - Done
Check Postcode on www.freepostcodelottery.com -
Work (11.30-1.30) -
Print Snowman Soup labels -
make free calendar on www.bagsoflove.co.uk/calendars/free-personalised-photo-calendar/ -
Wrap few Christmas pressies -
General Tidy round - Done
Meals from stores -
Update Christmas List and see whats left to get -
Chase up work for password so I can access my payslip -
Investigate selling knitting mags & books for mum -
Update Food Tracker - in progress (35lb, so far)
Comps -
Read - in progress
Knit -

Hope you have all had a great day, love to you all

C xx
It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Stash Busting Challenge - 52/52
Stash Buster Challenge (Part 2) - 4/100
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ziggy2407 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Pernicious
Old 06-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Morning all,

Shh, I’m working!! Had a fantastic time yesterday evening, wasn’t the most MSE of nights as DH wanted a few beers…& train fares are downright shocking these days but it was fun & well worth it. Back on the wagon today though!

Thanks for starting us off DNMS & congrats on the job even if you’re not taking it, something more suited to you will be along soon enough I’m sure J Good luck on Monday.
Zepsgal – Ditto regarding the snow! It won’t happen here though we’ve not got it bad enough at all.
RFTA – Your list looks so much more manageable today!
Ziggy – Good luck with the run on Sun just in case I don’t see you around here on the day.

Today I have/will:-
  • Most food from stores
  • Made use of free water & milk at work
  • Staying in for my lunch break to avoid spending
  • Dinner from freezer for DH, I’m off out for my departments Xmas do but the meal is all paid for our of our lottery winnings, so only need to pay for a drink or 2 tonight, will get DH to give me a lift so no need to fork out for taxis!
  • Charging phone at work
  • Heating off as long as possible & on low when needed, lots of layers on to keep warm.
  • Daily clicks etc on Sw@gbucks, must change my 666 total, haha!
  • Log calories using free app
  • Check online banking
  • Surveys
  • Declutter & flylady
  • Check for new mystery shopping opportunities
  • Enter some comps
  • Wrap some presents if I get time
  • Read Martin's email properly as I only skimmed it on the train ride home yesterday
  • Check the price of Br@ve on Amaz0n, it went down to £10 but I was waiting for my MIL to tell me what she was getting DH so I delayed my order so I can do it in one & now it’s back up to £14.99, grr!
  • Catch up with yesterday's thread & the day before that!
Have a great, MSE day everyone x
Debt at Jul 12 OD: £1307.65 CC V: £2145.17 CC B: £5759.48 CC H: £3553.27 M&D: £97.00 Total: £12,862.57
Current Debt: CC T: £1200.00 Total: £1200.00
90.67% paid off, 9.33% to go...

Last edited by Pernicious; 06-12-2012 at 5:33 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pernicious For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
jonno7
Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Morning all short list for me today as I'm tired

Cooked lamb out of freezer for curry for tea. Will make double sauce and freeze half (sauce only)
Lunch from stores
Wrap final 5 or so Christmas presents
Watch some Jamie O 15 minute meals on planner for inspiration.
Take big cat to vet tonight as his back legs are playing up, don't know if it's an injury or his arthritis is back
Print Christmas card labels via mail merge, check out any I'm missing
May write cards, was planning on doing post birth, but at this rate I'll miss 2nd class post deadline

Think that's about all, have a good day everyone
Last CC debt paid off 7th December 2011
4 weekly grocery budget £250.
13th September 2012 - Debt Free
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jonno7 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Pernicious
Old 06-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

So I'm still working.....on DFW things Just caught up on the past threads!

Quote:

That was really nice of you Pernicious, must have been a tough day for you all

Erm, not sure how to upload pics on here??
It was very tough seeing my friend so upset, I can only imagine how she is feeling & that is bad enough! Time is healer though, just want her to know I am here for her if she needs me.

You can upload to something like Photobucket & then use the little insert image button at the top, or even just copy & paste works I think! Itís been a while since I posted a pic on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishies_x View Post

Making a list for tomorrow, DH has taken the day off tomorrow to come to my midwife appointment (I'm really nervous, last time they couldn't feel his head, in fact he last two times!) so I'm worrying he is breech and scared about CS, having him there will hopefully be my lucky charm and baby will let us know where he is, I feel kicks and punches everywhere so I have no clue ) anyway after the midwife appointment we said we would get some crimbo bits and get everything ready for my hospital bag, I'm making a list so I don't stray!
Hope everything is ok with the baby, thereís still time for him to turn so donít stress yourself out just yet.

Quote:
If I don't write everything down atm then I just forget about it - like the prescription. I've even had to start writing big notes & sticking them on the kitchen cupboard doors to remind myself about Appts .... not me at all so it must either be a side effect of my condition or the drugs I'm on
Quote:

I won't get through 1/2 of them ........ about to head off for a sleep in just a mo!
Lol I am the same lately! I think itís because we are trying to juggle so much at the moment what with debt busting, Xmas as well as numerous other things itís just easier to get it down on paper. Hope you had a nice nap, that sounds like bliss!! I feel so tired lately but no time for naps at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by La escocesa View Post

I've spent the eve looking at insurance quotes... We've been offered a free car!!! How often does that happen?! But insurance is around £80 per month. Just don't know if we can
Wow thatís awesome! How have you managed that? Insurance sounds very high though, what kind of car is it & do you have a history of claims? For our little 1.4 itís only £400ish for me & DH for the year, but then we donít do a whole lot of miles & the car isnít worth much these days!
Debt at Jul 12 OD: £1307.65 CC V: £2145.17 CC B: £5759.48 CC H: £3553.27 M&D: £97.00 Total: £12,862.57

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pernicious For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
carrielovesfanta
Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Good afternoon everyone! Hello from a gloomy and chilly north-west!

DNMS - thanks for starting us off. Excellent on the job offer. Hope it's a good confidence boost

ally - hope you have a better day today

Perni - glad you had a nice evening

Well, I had a very fed up evening last night (and yes it did end up being beans on toast for dinner )

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined new ms View Post
NTBY really hope that things pick up for you lovely, remember perni's words and be kind. I do understand what you mean re the obsession over money and I have had to take a step backwards recently to just chill a bit as I became a money nazi. I became aware that I have friends who have a lot less money than me but who act much more freely with it (I also know they aren't in debt) which got me thinking that maybe I assume a sense of poverty. So recently I've been trying to ease that up a little and it has taken some pressure off IYSWIM? x

Thank you for posting this DNMS. It really struck a chord with me. I have been massively overpaying my debts, trying to get rid of them quickly, but I often force myself into targets that aren't sensible and there's a guilt to using any spare money for something other than debt repayment.

This has been very obvious since OH's teaching wages (our pocket money) has dropped, yet I am forcing my cc repayments to keep going up and up?!

Then I get to the position where we will be using food money to fund our trip to the work's Christmas do (only got told on Monday that there is a charge of £17.50 for partners and it's been booked for 2 months )

So today's list

B/L/D from stores (2 out of 3 achieved so far )

Iron Christmas party dress (shock horror at ironing!)

Check Barclaycard statement (£2.02 residual interest. Paid off already . Might reduce limit further)

Check online banking

Have switched off internet on phone because am near data limit. Have also banned OH from home internet for same reason.

Charge phone in work

Put heating on this morning because it was freezing and OH in house until 4pm but he has switched it off already

Keep telling myself that I will cut out the other cushion cover (too fed up to contemplate last night)

Make a list of last Christmas bits to buy (one last thing for mum, uncle's present, stuff to make sweets)

Start posting Christmas cards. Will use franking machine at work to reduce postage cost (always pay work for the amount though, but cheaper than stamps)

Hope you all have a lovely day x
LBM 11/06/2010
DFD 30/04/2013
Total repaid: £10,490.31

New challenges: Emergency Fund 1000/1000 House Deposit 3250.00/5k
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to carrielovesfanta For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
allydowd
Old 06-12-2012, 3:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrielovesfanta View Post

ally - hope you have a better day today
Nope! Going to work was still rather like stepping into a parallel universe...
Credit Card ...........................................£1,680
Original debt.........................................£12,000

"
Everything works out well in the end; if all is not well, it's not the end."
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to allydowd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
little pink purse
Old 06-12-2012, 4:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Afternoon

thanks for starting us dnms

well ive been busy got more items in for xmas store cupboard and more items my
24 dec-22 jan lock down where i use up all items so i try and not spend huge amounts on food and use up the stores for the restart of feb it normally works well

so today
check banking
write xmas cards and send 2nd class
get ready for work on overtime so i will smile
re check xmas todo list
sent hubby up the loft for xmas stuff from last year 1/2 price sales
restart new meds for the tooth/mouth again still in pain joy

meals from stores

better get my tea on iam starving
N.S.D in July 3/10

42 k 2009 down to 18k 2014

get 18k of debt down to 12k before xmas 2014
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to little pink purse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
allydowd
Old 06-12-2012, 4:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

VOUCHER CODES

10% off Hawkins Bazaar online. Put the code SECRET in at the checkout before midnight 12 Dec. Lots of items for under £1. (Link.)

Free delivery on all orders at IWOOT. No minimum spend. Use code VC5D for 5% off. (Link.)

Thorntons online 20% off. Expires today. Use code XVXC. (Link.)

50% off Body Shop online. Use code CHRISTMAS. Expires 12 Dec. (Link.)
Credit Card ...........................................£1,680
Original debt.........................................£12,000

"
Everything works out well in the end; if all is not well, it's not the end."

Last edited by allydowd; 06-12-2012 at 5:47 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to allydowd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
FatVonD
Old 06-12-2012, 5:23 PM

Another no spend day, porridge from the drawer for breakfast and last nights leftover sausages for lunch. Crackers (from my drawer) mid afternoon. Running low on food so dinner may be somewhat eclectic!

Printed out quotes for BT/sky/tesco phone/internet/TV packages so I have the facts and figures in front of me to leave or get Virgin to match the price.

Rooted out 3 more things to sell on ebay
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FatVonD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
rising from the ashes
Old 06-12-2012, 5:33 PM

Haven't achieved much on my list today ... have spent a lot of it setting up a new DFW diary ..... and the rest sleeping!

Really tired the past couple of days and just can't seem to shift it .... hospital tomorrow so will be away most of the day (and really early)

Oh - will go & reserve the iron right now as I must do that!

ETA Arrrrrrgggghhhh - just tried to do it and I can't collect it until after 4pm on Saturday - what! that's no good - guess I'll have to hope they have one tomorrow ....
CCP claim success!

Last edited by rising from the ashes; 06-12-2012 at 5:36 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Pernicious
Old 06-12-2012, 5:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yay! Just checked how much Brave is & it's back down to a tenner! With my student discount I only paid £9.50 with free delivery, very happy with that

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pernicious For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
mineallmine
Old 06-12-2012, 9:47 PM

1. Put WM on timer, on a hot 60 wash for the whites, to use cheap electricity overnight.
2. Simple meals. Lidl mozerella sliced, in peppers cut in half then roasted in the oven
3. NSD

Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
Less things. Less stuff. More life.
Fab thread: Long daily walks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
headoutthesand
Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Evening all. Another quicky from me tonight.

Today I:-
Checked banks - all good
Shopped eBay for Xmas present
Lunch from stores
NSD
Dinner from stores
Heating on v low and constant to avoid the freezing pipes
Official DFW nerd no 551 - proud to be dealing with my debts
Debts as of March 2014
Nationwide - £5745, Overdraft - £350,
Debts as of August 2014
Nationwide - £5343, Overdraft - £0
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoutthesand For This Useful Post: Show me >>