Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > what book would you recommend (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
what book would you recommend
Views: 758
# 1
gremlin
Old 05-12-2012, 1:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: Hidden somewhere between the dirty laundry and the cooker!
Default what book would you recommend

Hi all

Im lookig for recommendations for a recipe book.

I can cook and bake a bit but I just tend to stick to the same old same old.
Also Im vegetarian but my OH and kids arent. I do make them meat dishes but I cant taste them so stick to my tried and tested meals that I know they like.

Im not looking for advanced gourmet recipes that cost a fortune in ingredients and take 4 hours to make, just a sort of improvers stage of cooking that gives me more dishes to play with.

What books do you use most often? Who does the best chuck it all in recipies?

Thanks
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye" - Miss Piggy
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to gremlin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Meadows
Old 05-12-2012, 1:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Location: England, United Kingdom, Earth, Milky Way, The Universe

Rather than buy books (as this is amoney saving site) source your recipies online and then save them to a file on the PC/Laptop so you have them there for next time.

Many good recipe sites out there including just do a Google search
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...w=1920&bih=869
♦ ☼ ♦ ☼ ♦ ☼ ♦ Meadows ♦ ☼ ♦ ☼ ♦ ☼ ♦
Sometimes - you can't make it on your own!
♦ ☼ ♦ ☼ ♦ ☼ ♦
When man to man is so unjust in deed or word you should not trust.
Take my advise, never ask to borrow but pay today and trust tomorrow!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meadows For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
maman
Old 05-12-2012, 3:30 PM

I do have an old Mrs Beeton and a Good Housekeeping that I just use to check quantities/times of basics I haven't done for a while but I've had those well before Google was invented!

I'd agree with meadows that you'll find anything you want on the web these days. If you like the idea of having something written down you can make a file of favourites. I've built one up from tried and tested recipes going back to when my children did cooking at school (!!), recipes from friends and family, things I've cut from magazines and things from the net.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
krlyr
Old 05-12-2012, 3:41 PM

We have a book club that drops a box of books into work and I saw a good book the other week, it was recipe that only have 3 (or was it 4) ingredients in them. OK, it cheated a bit (might list pastry as ready-made, so its just one ingredient) but it had some good recipes in there that weren't too daunting since the ingredients list was so short. Can't remember the name but sure you'd be able to find it on Google (or similar)

I agree with using recipe sites though for free recipes. I find www.allrecipes.co.uk quite a good site as they're user-submitted so generally not too wild/out there like some TV chef published recipes can be!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krlyr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
kaydn
Old 05-12-2012, 4:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would agree with the internet, I save mine to my channel 4 scrapbook, you can save a link from any site, would also reccomend libraries to borrow books, charity shops and in the summer car boot sales. For shops WHS and supermarkets tend to have good offers on new books.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaydn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
*Beki*
Old 05-12-2012, 4:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

BBC Good Food is brilliant- if you register on their website, then it creates a binder where you can save recipes that you like.

I would also recommend Jamie Oliver's book Ministry of Food - it has some really great tasty but simple recipes, I use it all the time. The soups particularly are great- really easy but make huge quantities!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Beki* For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
dandelionclock30
Old 05-12-2012, 4:57 PM

The Good Housekeeping vegetarian cookery book is good. Plenty of ideas for all sorts of vege dishes and its straightforward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dandelionclock30 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
jackyann
Old 05-12-2012, 5:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I use BBC food a lot. I also have a huge number of cookbooks - love 'em - and know that the most wonderful recipes turn up in unexpected places. In fact I find when cooking for a mixed bunch, classic vegetarian recipes are not always the best.
I suggest you get cookbooks from the library if you prefer browsing books.
Here are some of my favourites:
Nigella Lawson "How to Eat" her first & best, packed with real recipes
Rick Stein's books on France & Spain: detailed & careful
Leon: lots of veggie friendly recipes
Anything by Delia!

I'll add my favourite veggie friendly recipe:
It's any variation on spanish omelette / piperade / huevos rancheros, all of which use very similar ingredients. Veggies eat as is, and I cook some bits of bacon or sausage, or slice some cold meat for the carnivores.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jackyann For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
trulymadlydeeply_indebt!
Old 05-12-2012, 5:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good old-fashioned Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course was the first book I got when I got married 20-odd years ago and I still refer to it for basics.

In these modern times, I tend to go onto BBC Good Food and key in an ingredient and it tells me what I can do with it. I've used it loads recently for ideas for my new catering business, with great success.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trulymadlydeeply_indebt! For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Callie22
Old 05-12-2012, 6:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I quite like the 'Saving Dinner' books. They are American so you can't get hold of everything, but the recipes are all fairly simple and most are really tasty. Not too 'weird' for families either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Callie22 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Mands
Old 05-12-2012, 6:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post

Im not looking for advanced gourmet recipes that cost a fortune in ingredients and take 4 hours to make, just a sort of improvers stage of cooking that gives me more dishes to play with.

One of the Nigel Slater books.

He spends a lot of time talking/writing about why things cook the way they do and what goes well together and how you can tell when things are just at the perfect point of doneness. But, what might be useful for you and your meat dishes, in some of his books he finishes up each recipe with suggestions along the lines of "if you enjoyed this then think about using the same recipe but swapping this for that."

I'm decorating so my cookery books are stashed away but Appetite is are worth considering.

Mands
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mands For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
room512
Old 05-12-2012, 6:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I love The Complete Cookbook by Mary Berry (I got it years ago from the Book People!) - has all sorts in it with pictures and is separated into how much time you have to spend on a particular recipe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to room512 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
zippychick
Old 05-12-2012, 9:53 PM

There's a mega recipe book recommendation thread - although it hasn't been updated in a year

Cook book buying addiction is also great!!!!

My current favourite is Madhur jaffreys curry bible and jamies ministry of food. Although i tend to use different recipes from different ones and have loose ones all thrown in a folder. Silly things like recipes for chilli jam on an envelope on the inside of one of my cupboards

Ill merge this later on

Zip
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zippychick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
heavenleigh
Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

None....... it is money saving to buy NONE! Because once you start buying you end up like me and have hundreds of the things!
On a more serious note i'm another to back Delia/Nigel slater and Jamies Ministry of Food for ease and non complicated recipe lists.
BBC good food is always good but as others have said you have the world at the end of your finger tips with the internet all supermarkets have recipe pages and i use allrecipes.com alot because other half is American and loves Mexican food and it has hundreds of reviews to read to see if it works xx
I will save my tesco 1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = 50 (full card#1)
Card #2 6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total 56
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heavenleigh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
sonastin
Old 05-12-2012, 10:44 PM

The Takeaway Secret has revolutionised my cooking. It gave me the confidence to use different flavours and spices and to properly go for completely cooking from scratch. Pretty inexpensive as recipe books go too, and helps by giving recipes for basic building-blocks to prepare in a batch cook session so that you can throw a meal together really quickly. Has all sorts of different foods in it - somethings I would never dream of purchasing from a takeaway!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sonastin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
gremlin
Old 06-12-2012, 1:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: Hidden somewhere between the dirty laundry and the cooker!

Fisrt can I thank each and every one of you for your replies and recommendations.

I take it on board about using the net to save money and will get scouring the net for recipies especially the BBC and alltherecipies.

I sort of fancied a book recommendation as a bit of a christmas pressie for myself as I really want to get into cooking again and push myself a bit further that the bog standard.

I'll see if I can get any of the books mentioned from the library . I love JO & Nigel Slaters programmes so will try to hunt them down in particular.

sonastin - thats one of the issues I have. I have a herb garden and like using herbs & spices in my cooking but other than basics I'm not sure what spices go with what in normal day to day cooking (not just currys etc IYSWIM?) I remember curry queen years ago putting up some recipies for great home made currys so I'll have a dig around for them

Apparently what I cook is good and I've been told I make a great Roast which is odd cos I cant taste them lol

again thanks for the recommendations all

xx
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye" - Miss Piggy
The Following User Says Thank You to gremlin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Seakay
Old 06-12-2012, 2:28 PM

If you are looking for reliable recipes then you can't go wrong with Delia - borrow a few from the library to see how you get on but the main benefit for you would be that as long as you follow the recipe to the letter it will come out right, and you don't have to worry about not being able to taste meat dishes to check for flavour etc.

The Winter Collection has some lovely stews etc, but all of her recipes are good and my step-father taught himself to cook everything from Sunday lunch to bread and marmalade using her books after my Mum died, especially the How to Cook trio, and successfully made dishes containing ingredients he'd never used before.

Last edited by Seakay; 06-12-2012 at 2:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seakay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver
Old 06-12-2012, 2:36 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rose-Elliots...pd_sim_sbs_b_1
I have this one, and also quite a few Veggie cookbooks.
This book has a 1000 recipes so pretty comprehensive and is also vegan friendly if that is ever an issue.
I also agree with googling recipes, it is something I do all the time, my personnal favourites are BBC Food, BBC Good Food (just ignore the lazy product placement though product direction can be helpful), Chow, Epicurious. I believe you are only as good as your cookbooks, recipes and ingredients however frugal so long as you manage to lock down the all important flavour/s.
70/522 unread books 4/12 NSD
Wouldbe QUALITY MSE Challenge Queen.
Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:beer:
[B
I've found that if you bash yourself over the head every few days then every discussion on MSE seems new[/B] The Bashed will strike back
The Following User Says Thank You to wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>