Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > OS Daily Wednesday 5th December 2012 (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
OS Daily Wednesday 5th December 2012
Views: 2,076
# 1
donny-gal
Old 05-12-2012, 5:35 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default OS Daily Wednesday 5th December 2012

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

A first for me today, posting whilst in bed! DH & akye still snoring, nowhere to get up to in a hotel room. Will wake him at 7am so. We can get off OK.

TT Congrats on the job.l
Judi - The word is NO - Now practice it!!
Julie - We won't cross as we are driving, but have a good journey and a great time
BB - Pleased to hear the dogs are on the mend.
Monogran - Apart from on line shopping, Christmas prep cannot start until Monday!!
HH - they claim there are no jobs, but cannot get any to help your DH

Another one here who has a twitter I.D. as this, but don't really use it unless tennis is on.

Take care all. (((Hugs))), Spoons, Hi-5s as wanted/needed. Just grab hem. DG
Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?

Last edited by donny-gal; 05-12-2012 at 5:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to donny-gal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
bargainbird
Old 05-12-2012, 6:15 AM

Morning DG and all who follow,

DG - Safe journey x
TT - well done missus

It's snowing , Kids will be staying off school, both have this man flu they've caught from DH, I've slept downstairs for 2 night in the hope i didnt get it but i'm starting to feel odd, so have taken some p/tamols and vit c tablet .

1 PF clean for me kiddies will come, then Mr A are delivering,
Tea will be mash cauli cheese and wrapped chicken.

Take Care my lovelies xx
You know your getting old when you
go to the pub sit outside
and admire the hanging basket
Is officially 48% tight
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to bargainbird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Molly41
Old 05-12-2012, 6:44 AM

Good Morning x

Snowing here too but tailing off now x

Topsy - so pleased for you

Im trying really hard to get motivated for christmas but failing dismally atm.

Any ideas for stocking fillers for DD age 20 and DS's GF age 21 and DS's ages 16 to 21???

Also need to ask for opinions re funding for my operation? I have been turned down twice by the PCT for a neuro - transmitter to control my symptoms. Im not exceptional enough So instead I have decided to fund raise but have not a clue where to start?? Any ideas or pointers would be so appreciated from my OS friends xx
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Molly41 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
bargainbird
Old 05-12-2012, 6:50 AM

Molly - Start here , decide on event...coffee mornings etc the get papers/tv onboard
Is officially 48% tight
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to bargainbird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Pooky
Old 05-12-2012, 6:58 AM

Morning all

Cold and frosty here but no snow . I love sow and would have loved it today as I'm wrapping pressies....would have been bliss to have the fire roaring and the snow falling. Ah well, I'll light the fire, stick on a Christmas DVD and open the Christmas wrapping box of brandy chocs (got to be some perks to the job)

DH has been awake half the night with a stuffy nose, he uses a cpap machine at night to keep him breathing but cant wear the mask when his nose is blocked. I will let him sleep on (he's all propped up) for a couple of hours.

Lunchboxes are made, hot travel mugs of tea are waiting too. DD2s bus journey to school takes 25 mins, DD1s is 2 buses and an hour and a half....they do appreciate a hot drik on the journey. Cottage pie for tea, made the mash last night so will bung the mince and bits in the SC and then make it up when I've finished wrapping.

WM and DW waiting to go on, supposed to be quite sunny today so will make the most of the free electricity.

Hope you all have a great day
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Pooky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
camelot1001
Old 05-12-2012, 7:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Morning All

Cold again here, the snow is frozen on the ground so driving will be interesting again today. Once we get onto the main road it's fine but our little road is just about the last one on earth to be gritted!

Off to see Mumford & Sons in Glasgow tonight, it's my Christmas pressie from DD (she's going too). Really excited, just hope this cold dies down a little.

Molly - I usually get pjs, socks (ordinary and slipper types), undies, scarf, belt, diary, a piece of jewellery for the girls, this year I have bought travel mugs too. Can't think what else at the mo.

Take care all, especially with the snow around. XX
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to camelot1001 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
esmf73
Old 05-12-2012, 7:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Morning all, colds sound nasty, think I'm getting one too. Can't open my eyes this morning as all gummed up - conjunctivitis I think!! Painting the kitchen today in an attempt to get it back to working order by Christmas! Dinner tonight is sausages,might do them with Yorkshire puds. Boys will no doubt want something sweet afterwards so thinking of rice pudding!
2014 will be all about ME!

Mortgage free. Will be debt free in October 2014. Credit card £3000
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to esmf73 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
redruby
Old 05-12-2012, 7:21 AM

Morning all,

Brrrr freezing here today, but no snow, just a little would be nice .

off to work for me and OH, dd is at college, rubbish needs to go out this morning, OH can do that, its too cold

Curry for dinner tonight, I cooked it on Monday, and then froze it, ready to re heat today, (I dont like reheating cooked chicken unless its been frozen.) So just need to shove it in the oven, and cook the rice.

Got a work meeting at 7 tonight (for my other job) she always comes in the evening, when I want to settle down, and she is always late, so messes the evening up really, still never mind, its a well paid job.

Ok I had better get on, lunches to make,

Have good days all xx
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to redruby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
topsyturphy
Old 05-12-2012, 7:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

An early post

We Have snow - yippee
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to topsyturphy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
miffy257
Old 05-12-2012, 7:33 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Morning all, no snow here but cold and damp. Off to the mad place in a while , more glue and glitter have to put washing in TD as too wet outside. Will have a quick tidy of lounge tonight as it's getting cluttered again. DH is doing DIY so tools everywhere.
WELL DONE TOPSY.. hope your new job is fab and your employers are kind and supportive.
Safe journey DG and BBird hope you don't get the flu. Hugs to all in need esp Molly. LW and Hilstep. Beemuzed hope hubby is doing well, went to see my friend who has breast cancer yesterday , she has had chemo and a mastectomy so is now waiting for radiotherapy. She looked very well and is so upbeat and positive. Hope you al have a good day and for those with snow stay safe and warm
£450.00 in 'sistercas'fund
Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.
Samuel Smiles
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to miffy257 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
bargainbird
Old 05-12-2012, 7:36 AM

camelot - Careful on those roads, i love mumford and sons you lucky lady (my fav)
Is officially 48% tight
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to bargainbird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
nmlc
Old 05-12-2012, 7:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that need/want them that are having a hard/sad time at the moment x

Be careful in the snow those that have it x

Now getting light, raining and chilly here this morning. DH up and off to work stupid early.

Dinner last night was the LO roast lamb, mash, carrots, green beans, cauli/brocc cheese and yorkshires - was lovely, dessert from the tins for the menfolk. Tonight we will be having chicken chasseur.

Work was not so busy yesterday and we had a much better day with the computer systems, most now seem to be working.

My back feels much better, have been using pain relief gel - it's suits me much better than taking tabs etc, have also been having a hot bath in the evenings.

Only working until lunchtime today, then have the normal list of chores to do, want to get some washing in the machine as the basket seems rather full all of sudden, asked the boys to tidy their rooms and then the wash basket seems full (wonder how that happens??!!) Will get the last 2 xmas prezzies sorted by this weekend, so then just my boys to finish and the remaining food to either order or buy etc.

Have a great day everyone, stay safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to nmlc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Essex-girl
Old 05-12-2012, 8:27 AM

Morning All

Completely white here today looks pretty at the moment but I have to be truthful I hate it.

DD has no college today DS' school isn't open till 10.45 so they are both still in bed. Been on the phone all morning sorting work stuff so am running a little behind. Going to throw some clothes on and get on with stuff now.

Roast chicken for dinner tonight - perfect for this weather

Molly - sorry I am so useless at that sort of thing but bet there will be loads of people who will be able to help.

Have a great day all.x
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Essex-girl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
tru
Old 05-12-2012, 8:54 AM

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening?
In the lane, snow is glistening
A beautiful sight,
We're happy tonight.
Walking in a winter wonderland
In my calender - an elf

Morning

Congrats Topsy

Cold and damp here, I want snow

I've been sorting and making lists. I'm getting organised - thought I was organised before but this is something else I have some friends cheering me on, which is very helpful.

I've done a bit of handwashing and cleaned out the animals. I need to sort through the freezer and make a few meals, which I'll split into portions then freeze. Still haven't got enough room for my party food, but this'll help a bit

I've been told what the other trus want for Christmas. It's mostly DVDs which is great, I don't even have to leave the house I'm heading over to Amazon in a mo.
Don't be a drag, just be a queen
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to tru For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
nlj1520
Old 05-12-2012, 8:57 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Morning all, snowy here. It's beautiful but I'm dreading the drive over to my son's.......it's nearly all on country roads. Normally takes about 45 minutes, but i'm going to allow extra time today and take it slowly.
Son has some alarming medical symptoms, carers took him to the doc who was fairly relaxed about it. I am torn between the likeliest cause and thinking something terrible is going on. Son wouldn't let doc view the related area, so I am going to try to have a look today. Worrying about it kept me up all night, so feeling really groggy now. One of autism's 'symptoms' is a lack of or reduced response to pain, so it's really difficult to know when anything is going on. When my son fell off his bike and broke his thumb he just looked slightly surprised, he cracked a vertabrea and none of us knew until he grew a lump on his back that was healing tissue and obviously had to be investigated. I try not to be a panic monger, but I do get scared. Pain is the body's early warning system (usually) and he hasn't got it.
Spoke to a nurse friend about it (she has a sister with special needs) who said probably simple cause but try to get a good look as there's one or two things that might need further testing or treatment. And if it happens again kick up a fuss until it's properly investigated.
Sorry to waffle on, just letting off steam. Feel free to ignore all that.
Need to make a few more gift tags and wrap last few presents. Need to get present for my step mom and for the people who support my son and do such a wonderful job. Write cards, wrap last few preseents and then I'm ready!!! Had my first card yesterday and I think I'll put the decorations up this year, can do that with OH tonight.
Take care in the snow everybody, keep warm and look after yourselves.
'Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.' T S Eliot
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to nlj1520 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
JackieO
Old 05-12-2012, 9:19 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Good Morning all, and bon voyage to those who are travelling today Its snowing here in Kent and laying slightly but not too bad, I hope it goes away as I too am not a lover of the stuff.Looks nice but is awful to walk in when you need a stick as I do, but then I just have to stay indoors until its gone, as falling over at my age is a bit dangerous, and the NHS dosn't need me clogging up a bed.
I have lots of stuff indoors anyway so have no need to go out for anything.I have today off as its DDs Wednesday off this week, so I am just going to potter around and make some cakes today.It was lovely to see my brother Davy, he is looking so well, and he got to see both of my DDs and families ,and is now on his way back to France where he lives, he is hoping to come back next May for a slightly longer visit which will be great if he can.

Eldest DD Shelley is coming on O.K. and sensibly for once is listening to her old Mum, and slowing herself down a bit.She will be off for at least another 3 weeks and probably just pop in to work just before they break up for the holidays, so she will get another two weeks on top to help her recouperate a bit.
She is really pleased as British Airways sent her a cheque to cover her additional days at her hotel when her and her OH were stuck in NYC during Hurricane Sandy.It was very good of them and it was quite a chunck of cash so well done B.A. for looking after their customers for a change

Right, time I got the coffee pot on as I am in need of some caffeine to jump start my day.Victoria sponge cake and some cookies are on the menu for baking this morning.
I have two chaps from my late OH's lodge coming tomorrow for a home visit so some HM cake will go down a treat I think.
Take care everyone, and do be careful if you are driving or walking, especially if you are like me (I'm maybe weeble-shaped but I definitely don't bounce when I fall over )
Cheers chums
JackieO xxx
R.I.P Alan 17/5/1933-14/7/2003

Last edited by JackieO; 05-12-2012 at 9:22 AM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to JackieO For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Time to face the music
Old 05-12-2012, 9:19 AM

Good morning

Flying visit but wanted to say congratulations on the new job to Topsy and to tell everyone to keep warm and safe as Winter truly seems to be upon us. Freezing here but no snow, just lots of ice on the car to scrape off.

Well wishes to all sick people and pets and hugs for those who need or just want them. Have a super day everyone

PS: I love the little Christmas messages from Tru.
LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 5/2/12: £82344 ~ Month 31: £12962=84.26% paid ~ DFD 31/1/16 ASAP
9/11 unsecured debts down, 2 to go ... Next target Marbles
Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/4 MFW threads
“Home life ceases to be free and beautiful as soon as it is founded on borrowing and debt” Henrik Ibsen
Proud to be dealing with our debt and making our money our own
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Time to face the music For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
bargainbird
Old 05-12-2012, 9:32 AM

Nj - Hope you can "look" at DS.

Well tiddlers aren't at school, DD1 left groaning about the snow...she was wrapped up like a yetti when she left, shirt, jumper, blazer, coat, scarf. I've just seen her gloves on her bed....<rolls eyes>. Have swept and mopped downstairs, Shake n Vac'd upstairs, WM is on, TD will follow. I've got a PF clean todo today, might ask mil/fil to pop up or i'll cancel (dont want them getting it).

So for me a lovely day in
Is officially 48% tight
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bargainbird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
taplady
Old 05-12-2012, 9:46 AM

morning all!

didn't get time to read or post yesterday - work, hospital appointment plus collecting DS from work meant no spare time!

Work later, late shift today and we're taking a service user with severe disabilities to a Christmas disco/buffet I love going to these discos, its so wonderful to see everyone enjoying themselves

This morning I'm catching up on housework and laundry/ironing.

DS1 had an interview yesterday for a full-time job, he thinks it went well and he should know in the next few days so please cross your fingers for him.

Topsy - well done

DG - safe journey x

No snow here, don't want any either as it's horrible driving in the countryside on ungritted/cleared roads and I worry about DH being out on his milkround.

Beter crack on.

Take care all x
Every penny saved is a penny saved
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to taplady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
ally18
Old 05-12-2012, 9:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Morning everyone,

Very cold here in Notts but no snow. Had to defrost the car as I had forgotten to put my blanket over the windscreen as I normally do which was annoying.

I have decided I am going to write a letter to the college to complain. Like you say, another trip may not turn out so well and the tutors need to take more care with the kids in their charge!

My central heating seems to be playing up, it makes a roaring noise when the gas burners are on when on high. Ive spoken to the plumber who serviced it back in October but hes too busy to sort it out at the mo so must keep an eye on it and just keep it on a low setting but for longer to heat up. I think my bill is going to be high next time.

In work today, going to be quiet I think so i've brought in some dvds to watch to pass the time. Going to have soup again for tea when I get home at 7, thats what I had last night as well but its my comfort food. Not lost any weight this week but I didn't expect to as I've been pigging out .

Congratulations to TT on the new job.
Molly, I do my girls stocking fillers with fluffy socks, posh shampoo & conditioner, kiddy sweets, pjs, deodrant, body sprays and hair stuff. (Basically the stuff they like but I don't normally buy each week because of the expense). Hth
nlj, try not to worry too much, you will make yrself ill, hope its all ok.
Pooky, so envious of yr roaring fire, going to go away and dream now.

Best wishes all, have as good a day as you can and enjoy.

A
M1 2009 - £68,453 M1 June 2014 - £51,308
M2 2009 - £21,000 M2 June 2014 - £903
2009 mfd - 2036 2014 mfd - aiming for 2026
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ally18 For This Useful Post: Show me >>