Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd December 2012 (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd December 2012
Views: 12,276
# 1
Dustykitten
Old 02-12-2012, 7:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd December 2012

Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

Link to last week's thread

There are 3 levels per day with Level 1 being very basic, level 2 in the middle, up to 3 which is more advanced and time consuming. Feel free to mix and match to suit your own personal circumstances.

Every room comes back around next week so please dont stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Monday - living room, hallway, stairs
Level One

Clear the floor of clutter
Remove anything now which can give more space for putting the tree up (or tidy your tree if it is up)
Level Two
Vacuum the stairs and hallway and living room
Wipe and water plants
Level Three
Wash the windows
Wipe the paintwork in the hallway and up the stairs

Extras
Get yours overseas cards in the post last dates are this week
International Airmail
Wednesday 5 December Asia, Australia, Far East (including Japan), New Zealand
Friday 7 December Africa, Caribbean, Central America, Middle East and South America
Monday 10 December Canada, Eastern Europe and USA
Wednesday 12 December Western Europe

Write some cards, buy any remaining 'special family ones' before the shops sell out

Tuesday - Kitchen and Dining Room
Level One

Declutter and mop/vacuum the floors
Find and wipe the worksurfaces
Level Two
Wipe the big appliances and units.. don't forget kickboards!
Clean WM and DW filters and top up rinse aid/salt
Sort the cupboard under the sink
Level Three
Wipe the table, including the legs
Sort through tea towels, table cloths etc and find the Chirstmas ones

Extras
Right a list to stock up on Washing powder/liquid, pet food, kitchen roll, foil etc to see you through into the new year

Wednesday - Master bedroom and landing
Level One

Strip the bedding and get it washed
30 minutes floordrobe/junk clearing!!
Level Two
vacuum the landing and floor
Clear and dust one flat surface
Clean the windows
Level Three
HHI
Collect all the dirty laundry from upstairs

Extras
Sort out any extra bedding you will need for overnight guests. Check you have spare tights for any parties.
Does your 'special occasion' watch need a new battery?
Clean any jewellery to make it sparkle

Thursday - Rooms of Doom or just neglected spaces
Level One

Make half an hour for yourself
HH sorting, filing, flinging, putting away
Level Two
Vacuum through the rooms that need it
Wash any soft furnishings that require freshening (cushion covers)
Level Three
Sort out your handbag - I had 15 pencils in mine
Clean out any bins.. and do a binbag dance!!
Wipe keyboards, phones, games controllers etc

Extras
Write a list of all store cupboard items you need to top up, sauces, salt and pepper, pasta, rice, cereals, Tbags etc plus anything you need for Festive baking
Update remaining present lists

Friday - bathroom, study/desk
Level One

Clean the loo and the bath and the shower and the basins!
Defragment PC and run spyware scans while scrubbing
Level Two
Wash windows
HH in your ROD
Level Three
Wash bathmats/shower curtain
HHPaperwork
Extras
Replace any sponges/flannels/toothbrushes etc that need it
throw out any empty bottles.. decant dribbles into fuller bottles - make sure your have enough stock of everything to last the month, including tissues and cold relief, don't forget the cream for the Rudolf nose - festive but sore

The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair

Last edited by Dustykitten; 06-12-2012 at 9:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Dustykitten For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Honey Bear
Old 02-12-2012, 7:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for the list, Dusty, and I'm in again.
KBO
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Honey Bear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
hex2
Old 02-12-2012, 7:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanks for the list Dusty (and to Natty for last week), count me in.
'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to hex2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mrsmortenharket
Old 02-12-2012, 7:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thank you.
I'm in.
Last week went to pot!

Lisa x
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to mrsmortenharket For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
bossymoo
Old 02-12-2012, 7:43 PM

Thanks ladies, I'm in. WFH tomorrow so will do a bit tonight, and more at lunchbreak.

Just watching my eb@ys finish...

See you tomorrow, fevva dusters at the ready!

ETA a pair of wellies has sold for more than the excellent condition clarks little girls ankle boots. How bizarre, lol. FLING! Hurrah. I didn't really care I just want them out!
Bossymoo
Teetering on the edge...

Last edited by bossymoo; 02-12-2012 at 7:49 PM.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to bossymoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
dancemum
Old 02-12-2012, 7:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thank you Dusty and Natty for last week.

I'm in. Concentrating on living room until Wednesday x
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to dancemum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Rowan tree
Old 02-12-2012, 7:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi there. Sorry I've been missing but I've not had chance to post, OH still poorly and I've been busy catching up after my illness last week.

But, today, flypeople, I have flown! Pleased with myself, as I put my teacher planning into progress and chose some important Aims and Objectives and more than completed them! In fact, that's what flying does - makes you select and work to a set time.

Anyway, I've cleaned, changed bed, washed, done Christmas wrapping for folk I'm seeing next week, and to post (thanks Dorajar, you reminded me!). Also done paperwork for work and roast dinner, which us now ready! One meal for now and one for Tuesday!!

Good vibes all round, off I go to make gravy, and see you next week! R x
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Rowan tree For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
ionafan
Old 02-12-2012, 8:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks Dusty, and thanks to Natty for last week's - I'm hoping to achieve most of the list, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmortenharket View Post
Last week went to pot!
So did mine! And this week isn't looking hopeful either, with daytime meetings on four days out of five and an evening meeting on the other. I can't leave all the flying till Saturday either as we're out doing the badges for the Santa Specials again

I have finished shredding 2 years' worth of invoices today and almost filled the dustbin

Now off to pack up my eB@y sales - fling, kerching! - and a Secret Santa present

Glad to say that DS1's school got a good OFSTED result
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to ionafan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
mummyyof5
Old 02-12-2012, 8:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hoping to join in this week..was away with coach last week ..lovely hotel in Llandudno

I am out every day next week I think, so aiming for level 2...2 LOs still covered in chicken pox so not sure when they will be back at school/nursery...BabyD isnt as spotty but very tired...not eating a lot still..LOs spots are very sore and red
Feeding 5 Adults 1 Teen a 7 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 4 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to mummyyof5 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
The Dragon
Old 02-12-2012, 8:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dragon

I'm in again, even if I only get a few small bits done it will be something at least!
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup
NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - 39.43
Every Penny's a Prisoner
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to The Dragon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
clairebear81
Old 02-12-2012, 9:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi All

I dont know how i have only just stumbled across this forum!!! I am sooooo in on this challenge if thats ok??
Ive never done anything like this before and am really looking forward to starting some challenges and getting up todate on some much needed cleaning, sorting and moneysaving.............
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to clairebear81 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Valli
Old 02-12-2012, 9:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Location: In a little cloud of optimism, playing the 'Glad Game' - Feel free to join in!

I am in

from Wednesday, really.
Make two - and freeze one!
Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Valli For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Mumto5
Old 02-12-2012, 9:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm in Dusty, thank you.
Well done Natty for your first week.

I'm working tomorrow. I have time to catch up this week as I lost 2 days with DS3 in hospital.

DD1 is 21 today. She is out with her new man friend. We met him yesterday at her birthday celebration. He is a big improvement on the last BF.

I'm trying unsuccessfully to pursuade DH not to put the tree up this weekend coming. I don't mind the outside lights going up next weekend but not inside. The little ones are so excited after the birthday celebrations, they are at bursting point.

I have a day at bluewater on Tuesday but am rather p'd off with being the buyer of 40 presents for F And F. DH has decided he will shop on 22nd Dec for my present. what would I give to have his simple life!

Last edited by Mumto5; 02-12-2012 at 9:50 PM.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Mumto5 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
froddington
Old 02-12-2012, 9:57 PM

I'm in - thanks Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmortenharket View Post
Last week went to pot!
Last MONTH went to pot here!!

Level One
Remove anything now which can give more space for putting the tree up

Level Two

Level Three
Wash the windows

My one-a-day (or 7-a-weekend!!) extras

- Car checks (including ready for Winter things)

- Cards x2
- Christmas lists
- Books to school
- Charity shop
- Sort ottoman
- 60 in 60 M Tu W Th F
"There's only one way of life - and that's your own"
Depression is not a sign of weakness; it's a sign you have been strong for too long
MFW No.3 Mortgage OPs 2014 1100
Cross Stitch Cafe Member 73
101 in 1001 16/101 since 01/01/13
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to froddington For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Rummer
Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 PM

I would like to join in this week, maybe checking the lists will help to keep me on track
Taking responsibility one penny at a time!

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Rummer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Narc0lepsy
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'll do what I can, but it's a really busy week - Mon and Tues nights out, going down to stay with my brother Thurs night till Sat. At least I can't make any clutter while i'm not there.

Did manage a quick rifle through wardrobes and halfway through bedroom chair hotspot this evening as charity collecting bags of clothes tomorrow. Filled a bag.

Good luck and happy flying everyone.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Narc0lepsy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
missymoo81
Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Im in, might not be able to do things in the right order, but im definitely in for a good old tidy
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to missymoo81 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Natty68
Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Natty68 Send a message via Yahoo to Natty68

Thanks Dusty for the list and thank you - oops nearly thanked myself there..lol. Well last week I actually managed to do more than I thought, but well from Friday it went downhill. My house now resembles a building site with plaster from the old kitchen ceiling lying all over the back of the work surfaces. Unfortunately it isn't finished either as my builder friend has to come back and sand the plastering he has done on the ceiling. I am dreading that as I know it will look like it has snowed indoors then..lol Anyway I am off Christmas shopping tomorrow so I intend on shutting the front door and forgetting about it.

Plus I don't have to worry about the dinner for tomorrow night now as I put the stew on automatic timer on the cooker, so that it would be cooking while the builder was here. Well silly me forget we had a two hour power cut in the week, or last week I forget - and I hadn't changed my oven clock to the correct time. So you can guess what happened, the stew didn't come on until 7.00pm - oops! KFC it was instead. That's three days of non "normal" food (mash, veg and meat!). Oh well DH was okay about it, he actually thought it was quite funny. So the stew cooked this evening and will be put in the fridge before bed, then reheated tomorrow evening when I shall make the dumplings.

Spent some time this afternoon, inbetween all the building materials in my lounge, writing out Christmas cards to be posted abroad. Wrote my shopping list for Christmas food and also sorted the list of presents bought and to buy for various people.

DH even went outside and put up the outside lights, which he doesn't normally do until about 14th December. So I may not have any decs up indoors but we do have the lights on timer - so it looks lovely and festive now. Oh and I have a lovely little reindeer lit up in the lounge window, which looks really sweet The main reindeer is upstairs being rested after an emergency repair to the legs, that will go out next week end.

Oh well better head off to bed, early start tomorrow - ugh!!

Welcome back to the thread hex, great to see you.
Welcome to the newbies

Hugs and spoons to everyone

Level One
Remove anything now which can give more space for putting the tree up (or tidy your tree if it is up)
Level Two
Wipe and water plants
Level Three
Wash the windows

Extras
Get yours overseas cards in the post last dates are this week

International Airmail
Wednesday 5 December - Asia, Australia, Far East (including Japan), New Zealand
Friday 7 December - Africa, Caribbean, Central America, Middle East and South America
Monday 10 December - Canada, Eastern Europe and USA
Wednesday 12 December - Western Europe

Write some cards, buy any remaining 'special family ones' before the shops sell out
NSD Challenge:
Debt free as of 3rd May 2012

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Natty68 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
mrsmortenharket
Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Oh thank goodness other people's weeks (and months!) went to pot!

Lisa x
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mrsmortenharket For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
joannasmum
Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm in again, will try to do better this week, quiet frankly it can't be worse than last week when nothing happened!
Sorting my life out one day at a time
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to joannasmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>