Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Universal Job Match at http://jobseekers.direct.g... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Universal Job Match at http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk
Views: 92,636
# 1
MissSarah1972
Old 13-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Universal Job Match at http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk

Job seekers have you seen this

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/home...842f1e01&pid=2

It says:

Universal Jobmatch is coming on 19 November 2012.
Universal Jobmatch will replace the Jobs and Skills service and will make looking for jobs easier and quicker. You will be able to build or upload a CV online and Universal Jobmatch will automatically match your CV to jobs posted on the service.
Watch out for this new service launching and use it to find the job you want.

A few weeks ago someone said that the job centre was going to keep a check of all your applications (or something like that) online and I guess this is what they meant but not totally true. It seems it's just going to be just like any other job board. Maybe like Indeed where the job links take you to another site but I guess we will know for sure when the 19th November comes.

Edit

More here http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/update...rsal-jobmatch/

Ah ha on page 2 here

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/universal-jobmatch-faqs.pdf

It says:
Allows the JCP adviser access to all your job activity record

I am right to assume then that EVERY single job advertised on the net will be on this site? Probably not eh. Then it's going to be rubbish as it will out do sites like Monster, Reed, Jobsite etc and I can't see those sites allowing that to happen.

So nice to know that the JC have told everyone about this new site.

Last edited by MissSarah1972; 13-11-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
1940sGal
Old 13-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I heard that it would be like indeed et al where you upload a CV and employers can search them instead of posting a job or the job centre can match you to a job based on your CV. I don't think it will make a massive difference tbh.
# 3
MissSarah1972
Old 13-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1940sGal View Post
I heard that it would be like indeed et al where you upload a CV and employers can search them instead of posting a job or the job centre can match you to a job based on your CV. I don't think it will make a massive difference tbh.
The JC can see all the jobs you apply via the site so it says when you register.

Not every job will be advertised there as it can not be.
# 4
Daedalus
Old 13-11-2012, 12:35 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSarah1972 View Post
Not every job will be advertised there as it can not be.
Of course not. But spending 30 mins a day on the site allows you the other 7 hours looking for the more elusive jobs, spending time tailoring CVs etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daedalus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
MissSarah1972
Old 13-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Of course not. But spending 30 mins a day on the site allows you the other 7 hours looking for the more elusive jobs, spending time tailoring CVs etc.
It does say they can see all your activity when that's not true if all your activity is not happening there.

Why the name the Universal Job Match as it's a bit misleading.

I wonder if they are are going to get better jobs on there - people who will actually apply or take the application seriously.

Last edited by MissSarah1972; 13-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.
# 6
Daedalus
Old 13-11-2012, 1:23 PM
PPR

Quote:
It does say they can see all your activity when that's not true if all your activity is not happening there.

Why the name the Universal Job Match as it's a bit misleading.

I wonder if they are are going to get better jobs on there - people who will actually apply or take the application seriously.
They can see all you activities on the website. Like indeed is the site they demand everyone check, this will hope to over take indeed so they can monitor that you are on the site daily, for how long, how many jobs you actually applied for etc.

They will still encourage you to use friends and family to find vacancies before they exist, still to look in all the normal places.

It is a name, it is to be catchy. 'Universal but not quite universal job match doesn't work'.

If it is like indeed then they will link you to the companies website to apply via that, so you apply like everyone else via their website.

You need to realise that what people say should not always be taken literally. The JC will say 'You need to attend all interviews offered, we will check up', reality they can't check everyone and wouldn't even know you have an interview.
# 7
MissSarah1972
Old 13-11-2012, 1:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
They can see all you activities on the website. Like indeed is the site they demand everyone check, this will hope to over take indeed so they can monitor that you are on the site daily, for how long, how many jobs you actually applied for etc.

They will still encourage you to use friends and family to find vacancies before they exist, still to look in all the normal places.

It is a name, it is to be catchy. 'Universal but not quite universal job match doesn't work'.

If it is like indeed then they will link you to the companies website to apply via that, so you apply like everyone else via their website.

You need to realise that what people say should not always be taken literally. The JC will say 'You need to attend all interviews offered, we will check up', reality they can't check everyone and wouldn't even know you have an interview.
No one has ever demanded me to look at Indeed (I found that site myself years ago). In fact when I first went to sign on I provided them with a list of at least 20 sites I was using and they were gobsmacked and just went 'oh this is a lot'

They are only going to see what you are doing if in fact you register. This may be not even be optional as contact details may not even show up so therefore not allowing you to contact the employer direct.

Indeed dont just link you to employers but agencies too.

I am still amazed that the JC think they have the most job adverts compared to every other site on the entire internet! LOL

I know the advisers you sign with have no internet access so would love to know who is going to check all this as even my written job searched have not been looked at for over 6 weeks.
# 8
csmw
Old 13-11-2012, 1:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yet another attack on the job centre I see.... Maybe if you spent as much time job searching as you do moaning about the job centre you would have a job by now.

Oh and by the way ALL advisors have access to the Internet!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to csmw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Daedalus
Old 13-11-2012, 1:54 PM
PPR

Quote:
No one has ever demanded me to look at Indeed (I found that site myself years ago). In fact when I first went to sign on I provided them with a list of at least 20 sites I was using and they were gobsmacked and just went 'oh this is a lot'

They are only going to see what you are doing if in fact you register. This may be not even be optional as contact details may not even show up so therefore not allowing you to contact the employer direct.

Indeed dont just link you to employers but agencies too.

I am still amazed that the JC think they have the most job adverts compared to every other site on the entire internet! LOL

I know the advisers you sign with have no internet access so would love to know who is going to check all this as even my written job searched have not been looked at for over 6 weeks.
I have no idea what you are chatting about. A site as comprehensive as indeed but owned entirely by the JC will give the JC a lot more information, both of jobs that are available and whether claimants are looking. It will without doubt become one of your job search criteria to check the new site.
# 10
MissSarah1972
Old 13-11-2012, 2:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmw View Post
Yet another attack on the job centre I see.... Maybe if you spent as much time job searching as you do moaning about the job centre you would have a job by now.

Oh and by the way ALL advisors have access to the Internet!
I spend at least 10 hours a day actaully and if that was the case when I told them to check my applications online she replied 'we have no access to do so'
A lie I guess.

Aren't you meant to be working? Oh no, you are on the net!

Last edited by MissSarah1972; 13-11-2012 at 2:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissSarah1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
MissSarah1972
Old 13-11-2012, 2:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I have no idea what you are chatting about. A site as comprehensive as indeed but owned entirely by the JC will give the JC a lot more information, both of jobs that are available and whether claimants are looking. It will without doubt become one of your job search criteria to check the new site.
The site address will be the same so as my job agreement says I look every day - no difference there.

Lets just see if it is comprehensive as any site on the net.
# 12
Daedalus
Old 13-11-2012, 2:17 PM
PPR

Quote:
I spend at least 10 hours a day actaully and if that was the case when I told them to check my applications online she replied 'we have no access to do so'
A lie I guess.

Aren't you meant to be working? Oh no, you are on the net!
I am dubious of people who say 10 hours. You shouldn't be spending 10 hours a day job searching. At first sure 8 hours a day is good to get all the bookmarks, to tweak CVs etc, but the longer you unemployed the less time you should actually be job seeking. You should be volunteering, working on skills. I have seen people who have mastered MS office within the month or two of being unemployed, and I mean mastered, not this 'intermediate knowledge'. That is far more useful then looking for 10 hours what you could do in 2.

This might not be official policy, but then official policy speaks to the lowest common denominator.
# 13
MissSarah1972
Old 13-11-2012, 2:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I am dubious of people who say 10 hours. You shouldn't be spending 10 hours a day job searching. At first sure 8 hours a day is good to get all the bookmarks, to tweak CVs etc, but the longer you unemployed the less time you should actually be job seeking. You should be volunteering, working on skills. I have seen people who have mastered MS office within the month or two of being unemployed, and I mean mastered, not this 'intermediate knowledge'. That is far more useful then looking for 10 hours what you could do in 2.

This might not be official policy, but then official policy speaks to the lowest common denominator.
I send at least 5 speculative CV's/applications and a lot of time is spent looking for companies I have not already contacted. Plus there are jobs going up live online every minute and you have to be first to apply like people say. They is no point waiting till 5pm to apply or the next day. Last job under Accounts on Jobsite is listed as Date posted: 13/11/12 14:29

No one tells you how long a day you must look for work. Maybe I should just do what is expected of me and that's 6 things a week to look for a job.

I have been doing online courses too in the time I have been out of work and researching my family tree.

Last edited by MissSarah1972; 13-11-2012 at 2:34 PM.
# 14
1940sGal
Old 13-11-2012, 3:30 PM

Am I missing something? How exactly can they monitor exactly what you've looked at on there once this thing comes in to effect? And if they can, who is going to be doing it? And will they do it for every single person who is claiming JSA?
# 15
Daedalus
Old 13-11-2012, 3:34 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1940sGal View Post
Am I missing something? How exactly can they monitor exactly what you've looked at on there once this thing comes in to effect? And if they can, who is going to be doing it? And will they do it for every single person who is claiming JSA?
They could ask for your username/email address. It would be simple and foolish not to set up a simple interface to allow JC advisers access to information that is already collected.

It will be like what is done currently. If they have suspicion you are not doing all you can, or you are lying then they will flag your claim and someone will investigate it further.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daedalus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Morlock
Old 13-11-2012, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Then it's going to be rubbish as it will out do sites like Monster...
Monster have been commissioned by the government to set this up, so they will be quids-in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morlock For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Morlock
Old 13-11-2012, 5:11 PM

The Universal Jobmatch site is based on a similar idea utilised in the USA:
https://www.usajobs.gov/

They have very interesting Terms and Conditions for using the site:

"All access or use of this system constitutes user understanding and acceptance of these terms and constitutes unconditional consent to review, monitoring and action by all authorized government and law enforcement personnel. While using this system your use may be monitored, recorded and subject to audit."

https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/U...ditions_of_Use

Why do government bodies constantly look to the USA as a source of inspiration? I can't think of any other countries whose culture is as repulsive as the USA, yet the UK government constantly idolises it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morlock For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
TrickyWicky
Old 13-11-2012, 8:02 PM

I think it'll be a minefield. Not least because it'll apparently keep details of those who aren't on benefits (DPA applies because they have no business need for your details) and the fact that they still can't get their website to work properly.

Everytime I visit it I get a "Your session has expired" message at the top of the page. You'd think they'd manage to solve that little quirk wouldn't you but no, it's still there.
# 19
naf123
Old 13-11-2012, 9:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This is tricky one. If it involves uploading your CV, there are data protection issues and you have the right to decline it.

If it just an replacement for what the paper forms are i.e instead of writing down your job search, you just record it online, then I don't see any issue with that.

Once it start asking for my personal details and whoring it around to prospective employers, I think I have every right to decline consent to that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naf123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
1940sGal
Old 13-11-2012, 10:24 PM

From what I've heard, registering with it sounds entirely optional in that you can still use the job search without registering.