Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 1st Nov 12, 9:09 PM
    • 5,176 Posts
    • 80,634 Thanks
    fuddle
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:09 PM
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:09 PM
    Yey! thank you mama67.

A lovely thread title too. Really fitting. Long may the tough threads continue.

Over 10 000 posts in a couple of months. We sure do need it!
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 1st Nov 12, 9:11 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 38,076 Thanks
    Pooky
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:11 PM
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:11 PM
    yay, shiny new thread
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Sunshine4
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:15 PM
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:15 PM
    Shiny new thread
    C.R.A.P. R.O.O.L.Z. Member. 21 Norn Iron deputy h
  • jem132
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:16 PM
    Do we post hear now instead of the other thread? Sorry I feel really slack today

I have dyslexia so I apologize for my spelling and grammar
  • pinkieminkie
    Been lurking on the old thread for ages and as a new thread has now been started then I think that it is time that I join in and say 'hello'! Everyone seems so friendly and supportive, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all a little better
    • kidcat
    • By kidcat 1st Nov 12, 9:19 PM
    • 6,042 Posts
    • 73,181 Thanks
    kidcat
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:19 PM
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:19 PM
    welcome pinkie - good day to join us, I have huge amounts of scones leftover!!

• bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 1st Nov 12, 9:21 PM
    • 6,208 Posts
    • 78,835 Thanks
    bossymoo
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:21 PM
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:21 PM
    Congratulations on the new thread, toughies!

(long time lurker)
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 9 - #91 - 150 so far
    • kidcat
    • By kidcat 1st Nov 12, 9:22 PM
    • 6,042 Posts
    • 73,181 Thanks
    kidcat
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:22 PM
    • 1st Nov 12, 9:22 PM
    hi bossymoo - have a scone

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 1st Nov 12, 9:26 PM
    • 5,176 Posts
    • 80,634 Thanks
    fuddle
    That's why I love it when we start a new thread. Welcome pinkieminkie hullo bossy

Wellies? Mine are in a bit of a state. How can I get the shininess anywhere near back? I was thinking rubbing them with olive oil?It works on me face!

yeah post here jem, hopefully a board guide will lock the other one now.
  • nuttyp
    Wow nice new chapter and thread. Long may we continue to chat.
    BSC member 137

BR 26/10/07 Discharged 09/05/08 !!!

Onwards and upwards - no looking back....
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 1st Nov 12, 9:45 PM
    • 4,769 Posts
    • 45,863 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Hi Pinkie and Bossymoo.

Fuddle, really did miss you...would second advice to be cautious about quitting ADs.

All good wishes for many years of health and happiness Stiltwalker.

Sleep well all

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • lisakay
    • By lisakay 1st Nov 12, 9:48 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 6,131 Thanks
    lisakay
    Kidcat, chuck us a scone please

Yay, new thread

hope you've all had a good day, will go back and make sure i've not missed much on the old thread shortly x

Things here are looking to get really tough soon
    Apart from DH's possible redundancy, he also has arthritis in both hips and is really struggling with the pain. He did a couple of driving shifts (Overtime, he's normally in the office) and can barely walk today, which means he'll have to cut back on the OT and possibly have to take sick leave at some point for another op...we'll be up that creek, will have to start whittling a paddle out of recycled pallets!
    I'm going to up the ante on advertising my childminding more and I have a seed of an idea starting to germinate to sell some crafts/run some courses at the school.

We have 18mths left to pay on a loan, that with both incomes is being paid off comfortably, but going to start cutting back further on outgoings to try and pay it off early. Sky tv already cancelled (but have now got it free until after christmas and it's on the calendar to cancel before we have to pay again). the animals are already happy eating the cheapest food and DH agreed to no more beer and to cut back on meat portions (he would happily eat 3 or 4 pork chops in one meal he'll now be getting one and only one!!)
    everything in this house gets recycled, repurposed, reused and lots of other people offload stuff that they can't use because they know I will. (one of my colleagues laughed at me when I grabbed a big plastic tub with a lid out of the bin to store the kids lego in because you can buy one for a quid...there gonna laugh at me even more when i rifle through the bin for the big baked bean tins to repurpose )

operation skinflint has begun!!!
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire
    • kidcat
    • By kidcat 1st Nov 12, 9:52 PM
    • 6,042 Posts
    • 73,181 Thanks
    kidcat
    lisa - have you considered DLA for your hubbys arthritus? If its that painful and ongoing he may get at least a little to help.
    Have a scone, in fact have two - I baked fifty this morning in a major operation to keep me focussed and make sure we had something nice to offer new people.

• mama67
    • By mama67 1st Nov 12, 9:52 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 16,219 Thanks
    mama67
    DH was made redundant at end of Aug and we have had a battle to get even JSA it took 6 weeks before we got any payments, (not sure how they thought we'd pay the bills).

We have been waiting on the Gov to pay the redundancy as the firm went into Insolvency. Have had a letter through to say it will be within the next few weeks, so then we can look at the next stage.

So it has been belt tightening all round in the meantime.

DH is hoping to set up his own House and Garden Clearance business once the money comes through as there seems to be lots of work for people doing that.

Anyways onwards and upwards
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
    • lisakay
    • By lisakay 1st Nov 12, 9:54 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 6,131 Thanks
    lisakay
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7156392_clean-hunter-wellies.html

here ya go fuddle x
    hi pinkieminkie and bossy moo.
  • The Dragon
    Blimey a new thread already!

Happy new thread folks!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - 39.43
    Every Penny's a Prisoner
    • Possession
    • By Possession 1st Nov 12, 10:02 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 41,491 Thanks
    Possession
    Woo hoo, new thread! Nice to see you back Fuddle, otherwise you were scheduled for a PM tonight!
    Welcome Pinkie and hello again Bossymoo.
    DH now has a contract to sign and no firm offer from the other company so it looks like the decision will be made for him, thank goodness for that! He may even be starting work on Monday which I guess will mean almost a full month's wages at the end of November. Our bank account may go into shock, particularly since this weekend will need to be spent adding to the one and only suit he has in his wardrobe!
    Wishing good wedding vibes for tomorrow.......

• lisakay
    • By lisakay 1st Nov 12, 10:04 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 6,131 Thanks
    lisakay
    we haven't looked into any benefits yet, but having been daft with money in the past and having got together with DH when he had big debts from a previous marriage, we have high outgoings that wouldn't get paid by benefits. It's all ours to deal with how lovely! once that one loan is paid off we'll have a lot more breathing space and will look into what we could get to help if he needs to take time off. will keep hoping that this winter isn't too cold as that makes it worse for him (and me, because he's a grump when he's in pain (as i would be too)).
    IME things rarely turn out as badly as you expect them too, so we'll be hoping for the best, whilst preparing for the worst.

ETAn ooooh yes! the wedding! here;s hoping you have a fabulous day, with love, Lisa x
    • kidcat
    • By kidcat 1st Nov 12, 10:05 PM
    • 6,042 Posts
    • 73,181 Thanks
    kidcat
    possession - am really pleased for you

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

2,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick goodbye (for now)... https://t.co/00uuzdpqAv

• Still fighting - hoping for chinks in the armour as there's a new administration https://t.co/XMYOGshhI0

• About to speak to talented teens from underprivileged backgrounds re student finance. Far more difficult to be +ve after retrospective hikes

• Follow Martin