IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Real-life MMD: Whose glitch is it anyway?
Closed Thread
Views: 11,053
# 1
Former MSE Debs
Old 15-10-2012, 11:40 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Real-life MMD: Whose glitch is it anyway?

Money Moral Dilemma: Whose glitch is it anyway?

My friend agreed to get me some currency for our holiday, so I transferred him the 200. When we got back, he found he had 200 extra in his account as the bureau mistakenly didn't charg him for my euros. I asked him for the cash back, but he said it was rightfully his. Should I ask for it back, confess to the foreign exchange or let him keep it?

Click reply to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Previous MMDs:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 16-10-2012 at 6:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Former MSE Debs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
barginpleasure
Old 16-10-2012, 8:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

50:50 surely.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to barginpleasure For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
lvm
Old 16-10-2012, 8:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I agree...halfers seems fair!
DEBT - 10,176.11 (Jan 2011) ---> 2,901.70 (Jan 2014)
SAVINGS - 0 (Jan 2011) ---> 35688.08 (Jan 2014)
MORTGAGE - 65,000 (Jan 2011) ---> 62, 160.35 (Jan 2014)
CHALLENGES - MFIT-T3 #3(7052.16/35k)
NET WORTH - (10,176.11) (Jan 2011) ---> 34, 126.03 (Jan 2014),
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lvm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mayling03
Old 16-10-2012, 9:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Go halves!
The Following User Says Thank You to mayling03 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Torry Quine
Old 16-10-2012, 9:17 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I would be telling the currency exchange as I couldn't relax and enjoy spending money that I hadn't paid for.
"How many times I have desired to gather your children as a hen that gathers her chicks and you were not willing! Luke 13:34

"When the day shall come, that we do part," he said softly, and turned to look at me, "if my last words are not 'I love you'--- ye'll ken it was because I didna have time." (Diana Gabaldon- Fiery Cross)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Torry Quine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
giltbrook
Old 16-10-2012, 11:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

If the bank realise the mistake, the person whose bank account was used for the purchase will be liable to repay the money, so the friend should be 'holding' the money ready to pay the bank back when they request it, even if that takes several years

Last edited by giltbrook; 16-10-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: edit
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to giltbrook For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
scotsbob
Old 17-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You got the Euros for the agreed price. What happens between him and the bureau is his concern.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to scotsbob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
scoobydoobydoo
Old 17-10-2012, 1:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Go halves but agree to repay your half if they charge him at a later date, providing he gives your proof.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scoobydoobydoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
alone103
Old 17-10-2012, 6:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Many years ago I paid for a jumper in a well known store who debited by card at the time and then 48hrs later the money was back in my account, some 3 months later it was debited out of my account. That money has been earmarked and whether it has been collected or not it will be at some point.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to alone103 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
cazpost
Old 17-10-2012, 7:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

It certainly isn't your money,you've got the Euros you paid for.It certainly isn't his money either,as there has obviously been a glitch.At some point the bank will ask for it back,so I suggest you either have half each on the understanding you will pay it back when the bank ask for it,or more sensibly your friend goes to the bank now and tries to sort out the mistake.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cazpost For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
ripongrammargirl
Old 17-10-2012, 8:09 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Seems to me that you do not need a thief as a friend. He is stealing from you and the exchange bureau. Sooner or later they will catch up with him and retrieve this cash. Makes me wonder what other laws he breaks and the trust in this friendship should be seriously questioned. Why can't people just be honest and then the world would be a much better and safer place. Unbelievable
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ripongrammargirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Spatton
Old 17-10-2012, 8:09 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Something similar happened to me and the money wasn't taken at the time (it was a payment by cheque which they didn't cash). Cheques expire after 6 months, but I still owe them the money and nearly two years later they have come to ask for it. I don't really have a choice but to pay as I've had use of the goods for all this time. It would be surprising if the exchange didn't work out where they were missing their money from eventually and they've got every right to ask for it back. At least in the meantime you / your friend get to earn interest (at a paltry rate - granted!).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spatton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
qetu1357
Old 17-10-2012, 8:18 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Be honest, repay the bureau.

But then check the weekly MSE email.

Tesco have mispriced catherdral city cheese at a 1 and the weekly email from MSE is telling us to exploit it.

Surely it is wrong to exploit this when it was not Tesco's intention to sell the cheese for a 1?

Last edited by qetu1357; 17-10-2012 at 8:21 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qetu1357 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Ebenezer_Screwj
Old 17-10-2012, 8:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

So, youve paid for your euros, presumably spent them on holiday and now you want your money back ? This is not on, is it ? Its a matter between your friend, his conscience and the bureau de change who supplied the euros. It's your friend's moral dilemma, here is a clue as to what he should do : He has got some money in his bank account which doesn't belong to him . . .
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ebenezer_Screwj For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
georgim
Old 17-10-2012, 8:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

He doesn't sound like a very nice friend. As everyone has said the travel bureau will most likely debit the cash another day, so let him deal with it, and you can basque in the glory of being morally correct.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to georgim For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
weebit
Old 17-10-2012, 8:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Your friend should keep hold of the money because sooner or later, the BDC will take the 200 from him!
Yo-yo DFW!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weebit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Fatabelly
Old 17-10-2012, 8:45 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

It's his money.... It's his account and he did you a favour.
Why didn't you do it yourself? You're only jealous because he was lucky to get the glitch.... Get over it!!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fatabelly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Sneezy
Old 17-10-2012, 8:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ring the exchange and tell them.

When they notice (and potentially maybe unable to see where there was a shortfall) it could be someone's job on the line and/or deduction of wages
Using my phone to post - apologies in advance for any typos
The Following User Says Thank You to Sneezy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Inverness
Old 17-10-2012, 8:55 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This "glitch" is an honest mistake. Keeping the bureau's money, mistakenly left in the friend's account, is a criminal offence under the Theft Act 1968. Conviction offers your friend the opportunity to enjoy up to 10 years imprisonment.

Last edited by Inverness; 17-10-2012 at 8:59 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inverness For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Cimscate
Old 17-10-2012, 9:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default What!

I'd ask for the money back and get a new friend!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cimscate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread