E: 17/10 Win a luxurious three-night break for two in Hampshire

Options
Etch
Etch Posts: 844 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 14 October 2012 at 11:16AM in Game Over Archives
Sunday Times Where Was I? competition

The prize:
The winner and a guest will stay for three nights, B&B, in a junior suite at Chewton Glen — a luxurious hotel on the southern edge of the New Forest, 10 minutes’ walk from the sea. The hotel is centred on an 18th-century house, remodelled in the 1890s, and has 130 acres of grounds, spa and leisure facilities and a recently refurbished restaurant, Vetiver. This summer, it opened state-of-the-art £6m treehouse suites, set in a wooded valley called Chewton Bunny.

The prize includes a five-course Taste of Autumn dinner for two at Vetiver and a 60-minute spa treatment for each guest.

It must be taken before March 31, 2013, subject to availability and excluding Valentine’s Day and public holidays.

Questions

Question 1: What is the name of the art school?

Answer: Glasgow School of Art

Question 2: Who was the chocolate manufacturer?

Answer: George Harris

I haven't been able to connect George Harris with Govan/Glasgow but other than that he's the best fit I can find - born 1896 and worked for Rowntrees:
http://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/events/public-lectures/spring-2012/sheldon-lecture/

The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography may be able to confirm, but I don't have a subscription!:
http://www.oxforddnb.com/index/47/101047603/

Comments

• el-UK
    el-UK Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, it is George Harris. I work at a uni and have access to Oxford DNB.

Harris, George James (1896–1958), chocolate and confectionery manufacturer, was born at 383 Paisley Road West, Govan, Glasgow, on 8 August 1896, the son of Charles Harris, an engineer's draughtsman, and his wife, Agnes, n!e Brownlie.
  • ronS_3
    ronS_3 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 October 2012 at 7:49PM
    Options
    George James Harris was almost certainly not born in Govan. I have come across a family tree which says he was born in Largs, in Ayrshire.

I tried checking his birth on the Scotland's People website where all Scottish births are listed. There was a George James Harris born in 1896 in Scotland, but when I tried a search specifying either Govan or Glasgow, it does not register a hit.

Btw, why do people feel the need to put the answers on here? Just to prove how clever they are?
  • Auntywin
    Auntywin Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I for one am very grateful to people helping with the answers.

It sometimes confirms my own thoughts on the answer required.

I think it is a kind thing to do personally.

You may find you need help with the answers one day.

Barbara
  • Alidolly
    Alidolly Posts: 791 Forumite
    Options
    RonS I think you'll find that most people who post comps here give the answer if they can to help everyone else (who might not know / have access to facilities to double check or buy the publications in question I.e. all the puzzler magazines for example).

I'm always extremely grateful to everyone who posts competitions (and yes, the answers).

Aren't you sort of doing the same by commenting on the answer being potentially wrong :p
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 October 2012 at 10:52PM
    Options
    ronS wrote: »

Btw, why do people feel the need to put the answers on here? Just to prove how clever they are?

Just how we do it on here :-)

Just saves time for everyone & speeds the entry up.

No cleverness here :D

Some sites do not give the answers but we do.At least when the promotors to not object & we can find them as a collective.

I think Loquax do not post answers,hence maybe why lots like MSE :-)

Before I found MSE Comps I used a portal that did not give any answers.
    I wasted so much time Googling it's no wonder I did not enter many comps.
    I much prefer the MSE way :-)
  • velocity_girl
    Options
    ronS wrote: »
    George James Harris was almost certainly not born in Govan. I have come across a family tree which says he was born in Largs, in Ayrshire.

I tried checking his birth on the Scotland's People website where all Scottish births are listed. There was a George James Harris born in 1896 in Scotland, but when I tried a search specifying either Govan or Glasgow, it does not register a hit.

I just did a Scotland's People search myself and there's a George James Harris born in 1896 in the district of Plantation, Glasgow. If you google it you'll see Plantation is really just a name for a part of Govan. The answer is definitely George Harris.

There, look how clever I am! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    2018 wins: Aspinal of London jewellery box, Boudavida gym outfit, HP Pavilion laptop, The List party tickets, All Points East festival tickets, Kiehls moisturiser, By Terry cc serum, Nars Liquid Bronzer, Benefit highlighter, Nars illuminator, Fresh advanced lip trio set, Cetaphil sample set, signed copy of My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure