PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do I NEED fabric conditioner?

Options
MrsP1983
MrsP1983 Posts: 96 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 23 April 2013 at 3:44PM in Old style MoneySaving
I'm leaning towards not bothering to repurchase it. I ran out about a week ago and haven't noticed a blind bit of difference in our laundry.

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
Starting Mortgage (May 2012): £116,095, Mortgage at September 2012: £115,677.14
Mortgage at March 2014: £110,671.08

Comments

• GreenFairy
    Options
    I use it every now and again as I like the smell on sheets. Last bottle ran out months ago though and I haven't replaced it. I just use a squirt of vinegar in the conditioner bit instead - good for keeping the machine pong-free as well.
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always used to use it but I never do now. Definately a non-essential expensive luxury!
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    I don't use it on towel washes or bedding. Haven't really noticed the difference. However, both of us have to be reasonably smart for work and I find that fabric conditioner makes things easy to iron and less prone to static so I use it on clothes.

Hope this helps.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

why not make your own.

FabCon1

FabCon2
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If your water is soft and you line dry you absolutely don't need it. And it makes towels less absorbent anyway so it's an absolute no for that. Bit of a waste of money the rest of the time too tbh.
    Val.
  • Ellie83
    Ellie83 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    I never use any and I really can't see the difference. If anything, my skin is not nearly as itchy now so I'm thinking it may have irritated my skin...
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tried going without it, but couldn't. The water where I live is very hard and I live in a flat so cannot line dry. The clothes were really hard and stiff when they dried and it was horrible putting them on. My socks were like cardboard!
  • MrsP1983
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, especially the 'recipes'! We line dry outside whenever the weather's good enough and try to avoid the tumble drier where possible. I think I'm not going to bother with it again, apart from some homemade stuff.
    Starting Mortgage (May 2012): £116,095, Mortgage at September 2012: £115,677.14
    Mortgage at March 2014: £110,671.08
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Haven't used conditioner for about 5 years now. Live in a very hard water area but do line dry as often as possible.

Denise
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    We have soft water and I use a tumble drier because washing has a slot in my week and waiting for a dry day isn't that convenient, it rains a lot here LOL.

I rarely use conditioner and after TDing I shake and fold and rarely need to iron things.

I do sometimes use the lavender scented conditioner for bedding as I like the smell and it's supposed to help you sleep.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport