Making overpayments to HSBC mortgage

Options
We have just bought our first house and we have known since before we bought it we wanted to make overpayments each month to really build up our equity and pay the mortgage off as soon as possible.

With our HSBC mortgage we are able to pay up to 20% overpayment each month. However, because i am self-employed our income fluctuates from month to month so therefore so will the amount we will be able to overpay each month. My husband has spoken to HSBC about how to make overpayments and they have said that we will need to set up a direct debit. Will this mean that we will have to change the direct debit amount each month to what we want to pay in overpayment? Also, can we only make one overpayment each month if it comes out by direct debit? Does anyone have a HSBC mortgage and know how it works?

Before we bought our house i was always reading the mortgage forum boards on here and it sounded like people just sent payments as and when they chose to for differing amounts. It sounded so easy. HSBC seems very rigid in comparison.

Thanks in advance!
Mortgage - £105,500

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    Options
    Keep track of your overpayment money in your bank account. If you have £300 available right now, set your overpayment at £100/month [1/3 of the amount available]. If your available amount drops to £225, drop your overpayment to £75/month. If it rises to £375, set it to £125/month. Be consistent and always work out the amount on mortgage day, or the first or the last day of the month. If you were employed, you could work it out on payday or the day before.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Yes unfortunately you can't pay in lumps sums whilst, for example, still within the discount period. If you do charges are incurred.

All you can do is budget for 'up to' 20% overpayments.

No online facility either.

A bit crap but made up for by great % rates and customer service.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just for anyone else reading - this only applies during periods where you're limited in your maximum overpayments (2/3/5 year fixed/discount rate etc).

Once on the SVR, or on their lifetime tracker mortgages, you can overpay whenever you like through online banking. We just go in and transfer money from our current account to our mortgage account.
  • jonas123
    Options
    I assume you've checked that you can't just make one-off payments? I don't have much experience with the 'fixed term' deals, but I'm on the lifetime tracker with HSBC and you can just make transfers straight into the mortgage account. It doesn't have any restrictions on it though regarding overpayments so that might be why.
  • exarmydreamer
    Options
    Hi:j

We were on a 5 yr fixed rate, which ended in July. Since then I have made loads of overpayments, using the internet banking.

We were only allowed to overpay the 20% during the fixed rate, so arranged for that to be taken out at the beginning of the month with the regular payment.

Now having made large over payments during last month, I was surprised not to see a change in interest rate at the beginning of this month. So, I phoned up and was told that interest is calculated one month behind so should see beginning of October what difference my payments have made, in July!. Hope this helps.
    Mortgage: Aug 12 £114,984.74 - Jun 14 £94000.00 = Total Payments £20984.74

Albert Einstein - “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”
  • diadeb
    diadeb Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are also on the lifetime tracker - great product, thanks HSBC, although all their savings products are pants......;)

I make occasional overpayments and always do this online - it's very easy, but of course there are no restrictions on this mortgage.

In your case OP, I would start putting aside any spare money you have into a savings account and then work out what you can afford to overpay from this, over a few months. You can adjust overpayments as you go as DVardysShadow suggested.

However, I have absolutely no understanding of how the interest gets adjusted! Regardless of what overpayments I have made, the monthly interest payment going out remains the same, which is fine, as I don't want to reduce this. I cannot see how the interest charged is worked out though, as it varies so much from one month to the next. I can understand the odd variance, for example in the shorter months? However in the last few months the amount of interest has varied between a saving of £4.49 up to £34.21 a month, going up and down every month, despite steady overpayments and with the mortgage gradually going down (in very small increments!). Anyone shed any light on this?
    MFiT-T3 Number 61 Reduce mortgage by £50000
    Mar 13 £5660/11.32% June 13 £12513/25.03% Sept 13 £16951/33.90% Sept 14 £38391/78.78% paid off
    MFiT-T2 Number 34 Reduce mortgage by £66471
    Dec 12 100% paid off!
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    they have said that we will need to set up a direct debit. Will this mean that we will have to change the direct debit amount each month to what we want to pay in overpayment
    Are you sure it's direct debit and not standing order?

A DD is simply your instruction to allow the bank to take amounts of its choice on unspecified dates. I don't understand why another DD would be required if you already pay your mortgage that way.

A SO is your instruction to your bank to pay set amounts on set dates and can be varied by you at any time. If you use internet banking, you could change the amount each month if you choose to.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • varghesejim
    Options
    Am I correct in assuming that any over payments done on HSBC tracker mortgages goes toward to the principal amount ONLY?
  • LEP
    LEP Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want to change the amount you overpay each month you need to give them at least 5 working days notice before the DD date....or at least that's what they told me when I arranged to set up overpayments last month.
  • jimmy125
    Options
    You can alter the amount that HSBC take through the direct debit by using the "my messages" feature on internet banking. Simply send an instruction and you will receive confirmation in around 2 days. They will then take this new amount until you inform them otherwise.

There is a way to effectively circumvent the 20% cap on HSBC fixed rates which is to reduce the mortgage term however, once you have done this there is no going back and if you want to re-extend the term it requires a new mortgage application.
    Mortgage April 2011 - £135000
    Original Finish Date April 2036

Mortgage Balance August 2012 £128203
    Current Finish Date [STRIKE]Feb 2030[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]July 2026[/STRIKE]June 2024
    Ideal Finish Date April 2021
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport