Real-life MMD: Should friend cough up for broken iPhone?

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 11 September 2012 at 4:47PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should friend cough up for broken iPhone?

My 13yr old saved up for two years to get an iPhone, which he bought six months ago. Last week one of his friends pushed him in a river and now the iPhone no longer works. The phone recycling companies won't offer more than £50 for it and though it's covered by my home insurance, the excess makes it not worth claiming. Should he ask the person responsible to contribute a little?
Click reply to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Previous MMDs:

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• Actions have consequences and his friend should have really given some consideration before pulling the prank, if the tables were turned I'd guess his parents wouldn't hang around in asking for at least a contribution towards a replacement phone.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, he and his parents should pay for the phone in full or replace it with one of equal value (before it got wet). I'm not sure how you'd go about it though, I would be tempted to put the insurance claim in and give the name and address of the perpetrator with details.

Pushing someone into a river is more than 'a prank' - endangering person & property more like.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'd want to know why anyone thinks it acceptable to push a 13yo in a river! Never mind the bliddy phone, he could have drowned!

But yes, they ought to contribute in some way.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    On the basis that his friend probably knew he had a mobile (let alone an i phone), yes he should face the consequences and pay for it.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • I’m sorry if this gets the PC brigade going BUT - The trouble with kids today (IMO) is that we as parents don’t make them accept responsibility for their actions. What should happen is that you tell the kids mother he pushed your son in the river, she gets him to apologise and reimburse (out of his pocket money) the cost of a refurbished phone – from a proper phone shop.
    What probably will happen is that either you wont like to say anything, or if you do, the kid’s mother will come up with various reasons why sonny shouldn’t pay, you will replace it yourself – and neither kid will learn what ‘responsibility’ means.
  • im-lost
    im-lost Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    lizardking wrote: »
    Actions have consequences and his friend should have really given some consideration before pulling the prank, if the tables were turned I'd guess his parents wouldn't hang around in asking for at least a contribution towards a replacement phone.
    tgroom57 wrote: »
    Yes, he and his parents should pay for the phone in full or replace it with one of equal value (before it got wet). I'm not sure how you'd go about it though, I would be tempted to put the insurance claim in and give the name and address of the perpetrator with details.

Pushing someone into a river is more than 'a prank' - endangering person & property more like.
    bossymoo wrote: »
    I'd want to know why anyone thinks it acceptable to push a 13yo in a river! Never mind the bliddy phone, he could have drowned!

But yes, they ought to contribute in some way.

Its called being a child and having fun. do you remember what that
    is like? im guessing by your replies you have long since forgot about
    what you got up to in your childhood, either that or you were one of
    these kids that roamed around in their gardens for a few minutes a
    day, befor being taken inside by your oh so lovely and doting parents.

Action and consequences my foot.

If the 'other' child is at fault, then surely the one who has a wet phone
    is also at fault for taking it whilst playing near rivers..
    children don't go and play near rivers to sit on the bank staring up at
    the clouds..
  • No messing about here, the boy could have been seriously hurt apart from the phone. tell the parents that unless they pay for a replacement phone you will be taking out a summons against their son for assault and suing for damages and costs of his phone and clothing. he could end up with a criminal record and or fine/community service depending on his past behaviour. be polite and take a large friend who stands some distance away but can be seen, when you go to see them and be prepared for a punch in the mouth. you may get a promise to pay. explain if you do not receive money in 28 days you will take out summons without contacting them again. or you might just get the money.... choose time of seeing them carefully best in public place spoken quietly with plenty of witnesses. good luck!
    The richard montgomery matter

• im-lost wrote: »
    Its called being a child and having fun. do you remember what that
    is like? im guessing by your replies you have long since forgot about
    what you got up to in your childhood, either that or you were one of
    these kids that roamed around in their gardens for a few minutes a
    day, befor being taken inside by your oh so lovely and doting parents.

Action and consequences my foot.

If the 'other' child is at fault, then surely the one who has a wet phone
    is also at fault for taking it whilst playing near rivers..
    children don't go and play near rivers to sit on the bank staring up at
    the clouds..

I agree entirely.

Kids are kids. This could so easily have been rough and tumble in the playground rather than pushing in the river. Either way, the phone would be dead.

I think that the only way we can give 13 year olds valuable, vulnerable and portable devices is if both they and all those they come into contact with agree to surrender their childhood.

It's not going to happen.

Bad idea to let kids have iPhones.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mr-tom wrote: »
    I agree entirely.

Kids are kids. This could so easily have been rough and tumble in the playground rather than pushing in the river. Either way, the phone would be dead.
    yes rough and tumble in the playground is how the school described all bulllying so as not to make it seem a problem ,
    the fact that everyday i would have to put up with "rough and tumble" even though i wasnt wanting to be involved

i am sorry but pushing someone in a river is not rough and tumble its unacceptable the boy could have drowned!!!

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    It seems everyone is assuming it's a Amazon-wide torrential flooding rapids. It could just as easily have been a local paddling stream or brook?
    Sure the kid should pay towards a replacement but I would also question the sensibility in 'going out to play' with a high value electronic item.
    Street cred comes at a cost!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport