Are we entitled to anything ? dead ends?

Options
Hi all,
Im after a bit of advice.
we are a couple with 2 kids.
I was made redundant 15 months ago
my partner is a nurse off on maternity leave.( paid not full pay)

I dont get any benefits as my partner is in full time employment

my partner gets no benefits other then £21 a month child tax credit (this is one problem) we also get the child benefit which everybody does as this is not yet means tested.

Iv done the calculators and they give me the impression we are being short changed by the government ?

I have no experience claiming benefits as we have always worked until the last year or so.

our household income was around £26,000 (before tax) between april 2011 april 2012

we own our own house, and a car which is about to die a death tho its had a good innings ...

going by websites and a phone call to tax credit helpline we cant get any working tax credits as a couple we earned over £19,000 ?
(is this correct) as i found 26,32 and 41.5 on websites?

and child tax credit website says £1900 the paid us last month £21?

We will endêver to call them and clock up a nice phone bill in the process, they take forever to pick up the phone and seem very keen to put it back down,

So in a nutshell
A couple with 2 kids
own house
1 working but on mat leave
1 not working (not eligible for any benefits ) when i asked in april
we don't have stocks and bonds or a million pounds in the bank.

Are we not entitled to anything as the people on the phones dont seem to think so,

I was hoping somebody who has maybe had experience with such matters could shed some light on it..

I hope to find a job asap but any help after been out of work for a year now is much needed or it will be the house on the market next...

Ill probably be entitled to all sorts once were broke and homeless but i hope not to get there...

Any help and advice would be great cheers

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems totally wrong to me. With 2 children then the earnings limit seems to be approx. £32000.

See here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/wtc2.pdf

Have you put your details into the benefits calculator on www.turn2us.org.uk?
  • Pink_Fairy_2
    Pink_Fairy_2 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    It's a bit of a saga, but hubby had an accident in work in November 2011. He was paid until 31st May at full rate but is now getting £31 per week. His company has insurance through UNUM and he had a 3 hour rehabilitation assessment at the beginning of July, the report has been sent to UNUM who have made their decision. On Monday we were told that a letter has been sent, but we've not yet received it. I was previously unemployed for 3 months but am now working full time. However we currently have a short fall of £700 per month to meet all regular bills and token payments of £1 to creditors.

Presently, his employers have not yet accepted responsibility for his accident. (He slipped in water in the back of his lorry, did the splits and snapped one of the tendons at the top of his hamstring, the water coming from the required washing down of the product he carries - being careful what I say here).

In the meantime, if it had not been for help from family, we wouldn't have got through the month. He is still employed, so we have been told he cannot claim any benefits, we can't claim on PPI, as he is still being paid (very little) plus we now find we need copies of all his sicknotes since November which we don't have; and he cannot resign as it might jeopardise his compensation.

It may be that the insurance company has found in his favour & his pay will be reinstated, including back pay,which would resolve the immediate situation, but if they don't, we'd like to know where we stand as unpaid bills are now mounting, but also hubby's GP doesn't think he can return to his former job as he should be OK for driving, but will be unable to do the loading & unloading required by the job.

We are seriously considering selling the house so we can pay everything off, but would still need to find accommodation for us, 2 dogs, 2 cats & an aquarium. We want to relocate to Southern Ireland where we have family we could stay with, complete with dogs, but cats would need to go in a cattery. I would be able to find employment but we can't go as hubby is still employed but can't return to work and can't resign! Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we can go from here as we are in despair? :cry:
    DMP mutual support thread No: 433 - Mortgage - £54,556, Credit cards - £4012, Unsecured loan - £3,376, Other - £419

Now isn't always!
    Major Stella Ward
    1928 - 2007

• ROBIN_HOOD_3
    Options
    I know ,but if i or my partner phone and they tell us one thing we are stuck,or they will take 4 weeks sending out another form to fill in and take 4 weeks to reply to that.... We all know they dont care as they are all on crap wages not giving a stuff but sombody must be able to do there job and have ALL the info and answers to all the questions .... if we are not due anything fine but with soooo soo soo much contradicting info online.....
    Its bonkers to think if we lose our house we get everything paid for but we get no help for trying to do it all ourselves and save the government some money...?

[889]Seems totally wrong to me. With 2 children then the earnings limit seems to be approx. £32000.

See here:

Have you put your details into the benefits calculator on [
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family