Starting my own lil business

Options
Ive recently started buying baby products from a couple of wholesalers and selling on ebay/amazon etc to make a profit. Im not raking it in but am making a little profit which is always good and im learning lots.

My main frustration completely is how the hell people are managing to sell items cheaper than I can get wholesale.

I suppose I just have to put lots of leg work in and search for cheaper wholesalers.

My other idea is to go to baby fairs.

Anyway just wanteed to share we you all hope you will all wish me luck

Comments

• kiss_me_now9
    kiss_me_now9 Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could it be that they're hobby sellers clearing out their garages? Or they're producing their stock for a smaller price? Best of luck :)
    £2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

• Hoody
    Hoody Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    They could be negotiating a discount if they are a regular customer of the whole seller? or buying in bulk which would give them more leverage?
  • no1wf
    no1wf Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    I go to car boots every other week (to buy, not sell) and always see loads of people with tons of baby clothes for really cheap. Not sure how cheap you're getting them for but my friend was given a load of baby clothes by her sister in law to sell at a boot sale and she made about £50.

So yeah, maybe try a car boot see how you get on
    :dance: Best Wins:
    Blu-ray player & B2TF Blu-ray trilogy tin
    2 x Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony Concert tickets
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The more you're in business, the more suppliers and contacts you'll discover, with better terms, or better prices. Maybe they're buying bankrupt stock from a supplier they discovered when they'd been in business 2-3 years or more.

Maybe they are importing them, in container loads. Maybe they have real shops are are offloading their surplus stock at below-cost in order to keep cashflow going.
  • rosejack
    rosejack Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I guess the same way that pound shops manage to turn a profit whilst still undercutting others on the same occasional branded products - bulk/surplus stock etc.

What sort of baby products are you selling - branded, old stock etc.?
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My sister earns her own small business (only started a few months ago) and she took her stuff to a carboot last weekend.
    A bloke came over and bought everything she had for £400!
  • ssddkj
    ssddkj Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    hi yes Ive been odering from baby wholesalers but only some will supply as I am internet based.

I have been trawling the internet emailing etc etc trying to find firstly supplier then low cost ones.

I have thought bout buying bankrupt stock but again where from ?????

Its hard but then I suppose it as t be otherwise we would be saturated lol ill keep researching see where it gets me

this is something I really would like to do. Im hoping it will earn me an income whilst been able to look after my little ones. My partner is a builder things not good employment wise for him so id like to think I could get somewhere with this and give us a little bit more security

Thank for your comments I really apprieciate xx
  • heyboots
    heyboots Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    do you have jack & jill markets near you? they are always REALLY busy, also if you advertise on ebay you are competing solely on price, what about asking if you can supply some stock to a local shop on sale or return basis? maybe a baby clothes shop? you can build a catalogue and people can order? that way you get the people who wouldnt order online. also maybe team up with other local businesses, baby yoga classes, baby rhyme time, antenatal etc ask if you can go along with some products, i find people would rather pay a bit more from someone face to face than an anonymous ebay seller. I own my own business so I appreciate how hard it is. You need to differentate yourself from others doing the same thing. you need to access the clients they arent accessing. hope that helps and good luck!

oh also try wave accounting for easy free accounting software, helps you realise how much you are really making, its easy to forget hidden costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure