PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Who doesn't have a stock cupboard

Options
On various internet forums, there are people that say that have no food in the house - not even pasta, a tin of tomatoes etc.

I cannot believe some people don't have a stock cupboard. Not just because if their bank has system problems, but when in situations where you cannot go out because of your ill, injured or snowed in. Plus when you have an unexpected expense such as a bill for the car etc.

I know most of you do. But I bet you know someone that doesn't. So when it comes to doing their weekly shop, they just have literally Oxo cubes, herbs/spices, a few open jars/bottles of jam, ketchup and nowt else.

Comments

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    *raises hand then leaves quickly*
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    Options
    I dont, it was only the other day my mother-in law was telling me how many cans etc she has in her cupboard in the garage she said about 40 cans of various bits and pieces anyway I said to her I think I only have about 10 cans in my kitchen cupboard.
    So I got home and checked and it was only 8 cans in the end and one was a tin of mackeral fillets which is the dogs and a can of coconut milk for cocktails.
    I do cook from scratch and have all fresh vegetables so dont see the need for it and if I had it, it would probably go out of date.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 June 2012 at 10:16PM
    Options
    I have always had a store cupboard which I rotate for use by dates.(sometimes things do get shoved to the back ) but they still get used when i find them.My store cupboard would probably with my freezer contents keep my fed for about a couple of months at least.Apart from fresh veg and milk I could survive fairly well.When I was going through cancer treatment a few years ago I was glad of my cupboard as there were times when i just wasn't up to going shopping and when on Chemo my immunity was very low so crowded places were not a good idea.in the bad weather I have always been glad of my stores as if it snows or is icy I cannot venture out as I am mobility impaired and cannot walk very well with my bad joints and stick and its far safer for me to stay indoors in the warm than take a chance on a broken hip (although it might move me up the replacement list a bit :):))
    having been brought up during the 1940s and 50s a store cupboard was normal for any sensible thinking housewife and my Mum certainly had one herself (albeit rather small) Maybe today families find it harder to keep much in store owing to finacial reasons .My DD hasn't got a great amount of stuff in store for long as she has four permanantly hungry boys to feed and they can do serious damage to any food store that they find (especially the biscuit tin :))Plus she only has a limited amout of space in her tiny modern kitchen .Even though its four bedroomed house, the kitchen isn't much bigger than my bathroom :)
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    she only has a limited amout of space in her tiny modern kitchen .Even though its four bedroomed the kitchen isn't much bigger than my bathroom :)

A four bedroomed kitchen?;)

I have a store cupboard largely because I like to buy things on offer and know that I have a stock of them until they come on offer again. I rarely buy pasta, tomatoes, baked beans at full price. I keep some long life milk in case of emergencies (tho thankfully I havent' had to use it but it means a couple of cartons are going to be chucked).

And then I have washing powder which i always buy on offer and toiletries as I get them from £land or B&M and can't get there easily so i buy a lot when I do.

The danger is that sometimes i assume I have a lot of these things but then run out :o
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Members of my own family don't have a stock-cupboard, or even some pretty ordinary staples which don't need to be used every day. It's because they don't ever cook from scratch. Who needs flour or a tin of tomatoes if you only serve ready-meals with frozen oven-chips? And if you do decide to change your ways and start cooking completely from scratch just getting in the absolute basics can begin to look like a whole load of money as an initial investment. I'm sure for some on a low income that can be the main disincentive.

Do you think some families have never bought a single raw potato? It wouldn't surprise me at all.
  • miasnanny
    miasnanny Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    I have a store cupboard. We shelved the 'glory hole' under the stairs and I have all my 'stash' in there. I am disabled and although DH is my fulltime carer I like to do as much as I can myself. I have always had large kitchens with proper larders before moving here and I like making jams, chutneys, marmalade, wine and need space to keep them. I also stock up essentials when they are on 'special' or bogof and I always have supplies of tinned tomato's, beans, uht milk (also use for making yogurt), the cake tins, tinned fish, corned beef etc

I think we could probably live out of the 'glory hole' and freezer for a good few weeks. I grew up on a farm and when the work load was heavy we relied on the store cupboard and as for when the weather was bad it was invaluable.

I think people could save a lot more money on housekeeping if they had a store cupboard and shopped wisely. New house builders take note!
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I was growing up we lived almost hand to mouth. As a result both myself and my sister always have loads of food in the cupboards/freezer. You wouldn't think so though, the kids are always saying 'we've got no food, when you going shopping?' :o
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • miasnanny
    miasnanny Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Members of my own family don't have a stock-cupboard, or even some pretty ordinary staples which don't need to be used every day. It's because they don't ever cook from scratch. Who needs flour or a tin of tomatoes if you only serve ready-meals with frozen oven-chips? And if you do decide to change your ways and start cooking completely from scratch just getting in the absolute basics can begin to look like a whole load of money as an initial investment. I'm sure for some on a low income that can be the main disincentive.

Do you think some families have never bought a single raw potato? It wouldn't surprise me at all.

BaT my DH when he moved in here aged 47, asked if there was anything he could do to help, I asked him to peel some potato's for tea. The reply was "Ive never done it before, but I'll have a go" I was appalled. No wonder he's a diabetic now all the rubbish he lived on before.
  • We do and guess what.

It brews Wobbleade.
    I hvae nt snept th lst fw mntes writg ths post fr yu t cme alng hre nd agre wth m!

Cheers! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport