Disclosure

Options
I recently started a new job and have just been asked to fill in a disclosure form. I have no idea which disclosure my employers are applying for! I was just given the form and asked to fill it in and provide the correct ID. I would imagine it's a standard one as I have access to medical records?

I've nothing to hide, I just have a few cautions from my teenage years many moons ago I'd rather forget about! :o Nothing that would affect my job (I hope!)

Because it's my employer applying for it, does that mean only they will recieve the information? Or will I recieve a copy too?
:beer: Been smoke free for 4 years!! :beer:

Comments

• TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options
    The information is sent directly to you and you then have to supply it to your employer.

Cautions can/do show up on these but I think that may only be for enhanced CRB checks and not a 'disclosure'. You need to look at the disclosure scotland site and the crb site for more info on that.
  • SaLoGo
    SaLoGo Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The information is sent directly to you and you then have to supply it to your employer.

Even if my employer has applied and paid for it? Never done one before so have no idea how it works!
    Cautions can/do show up on these but I think that may only be for enhanced CRB checks and not a 'disclosure'. You need to look at the disclosure scotland site and the crb site for more info on that.

I had a little look earlier and cautions show up on standard and enhanced disclosures, it's only on the basic that they don't show.

I don't mind them knowing... just feel a bit embarrassed!
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Disclosure is now PVG (protection of vulnerable groups) in Scotland. However I see you aren't in Scotland so what exactly the system is there I don't know. Depending on whether it's and enhanced or basic check then cautions will show. Actually this should have been in place before you started employment.

Both you and the employer will get a copy.

ETA You get a copy whether or not you pay for it.

Your employer may not be so relaxed about your cautions though.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • princessdon
    princessdon Posts: 6,902 Forumite
    Options
    Cautions do show, as do any CIN (child protection) that you have had. It doesn't normally prevent any employment - we all have pasts and make bad decisions, but not to disclose then get "found out" will appear to be deceptive.

You get a copy and they get a copy.
  • SaLoGo
    Options
    Disclosure is now PVG (protection of vulnerable groups) in Scotland. However I see you aren't in Scotland so what exactly the system is there I don't know. Depending on whether it's and enhanced or basic check then cautions will show. Actually this should have been in place before you started employment.

Both you and the employer will get a copy.

ETA You get a copy whether or not you pay for it.

Your employer may not be so relaxed about your cautions though.

I've been there over 3 weeks now! They're not the most organised company!
    Cautions do show, as do any CIN (child protection) that you have had. It doesn't normally prevent any employment - we all have pasts and make bad decisions, but not to disclose then get "found out" will appear to be deceptive.

You get a copy and they get a copy.

Who said anything about not disclosing? I'm not worried about them "finding out", I just wondered if I would get a copy.
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    SaLoGo wrote: »
    I've been there over 3 weeks now! They're not the most organised company!

Who said anything about not disclosing? I'm not worried about them "finding out", I just wondered if I would get a copy.

By not disclosing I would think she means that you didn't personally disclose them but left them to find out.

It's always better to tell people yourself first.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
  • SaLoGo
    Options
    I didn't know I would have to disclose until the form was given to me today. But saying that, I'm not working in the department I originally applied for so that may explain the delay.
  • princessdon
    princessdon Posts: 6,902 Forumite
    Options
    yes - most application forms that require a CRB will ask if you have anything to disclose. if you said NO and it turns out yes for *some* employers this can be problematic.

A lot depends on the reason - a drunken night on your 21st that ended up in a D n D is different to say theft if working with money. It is a case by case basis.

If you were not asked to disclose prior or the cautions are minor I wouldn't worry one bit.
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    SaLoGo wrote: »
    I didn't know I would have to disclose until the form was given to me today. But saying that, I'm not working in the department I originally applied for so that may explain the delay.

That does explain the delay. However as soon as you knew you were going to be completing the form that was the time to tell of anything that will show up.

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Where I work, the umbrella body gets a copy direct, which they pass to us as employer, and the employee / volunteer gets their own copy.
    That does explain the delay. However as soon as you knew you were going to be completing the form that was the time to tell of anything that will show up.
    Not necessarily. I'd suggest going to the person who gave you the form and asking who is responsible for these checks, because you have some questions, and then contact them. You don't disclose to just anyone, you disclose to those who need to know. The ones who need to know are the ones who make decisions over whether your mis-spent youth makes you unsuitable for the position you're in.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport