Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Underpaid Tax Letter
    • #1
    • 16th May 12, 7:19 PM
    Underpaid Tax Letter 16th May 12 at 7:19 PM
    My husband received a letter in the post today from HMRC saying they have reviewed his income tax liability for the year 2010-11 and that he underpaid 1108.80, the reason being "more allowances were received than due".

    This has come completely out of the blue and having never had anything like this before we are clueless as to how it's come about. Unfortunately (or probably stupidly on my part), we don't have any paperwork to check back on.

    I'm not sure if it makes any difference but my husband was made redundant in September 2010 and after a few weeks unemployed, worked with another company until February 2011. He then worked with a couple of agencies until getting a permenant job in September 2011. When he left his job in the February, he never received a P45 so when he went to work with the agency, he had to complete a P46.

    Is there any way I can check back to find out where it all went wrong, given that we don't have any paperwork? It's a bit frustrating that we've to pay this back now, especially if it's through no fault of our own, and I also dont quite understand what "more allowances were received than due" means.

    Thanks in advance for any help, I find the whole "tax" thing REALLY confusing.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,645Posts Today

5,930Users online

Martin's Twitter