Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • FlyingDutchman
    • 13th May 12, 7:11 AM
    • 13th May 12, 7:11 AM
    Thanks, jimsmillions.

It does ask you to 'register', but that basic information is just used to post the book to you. There are a number of opt-outs once you've filled your details.

However, you can set up an account by providing a password, once you've ordered. This helps you donate quicker when/if you return to the site.
    Happiness is a warm petrol lawn mower...

"I've got one, two, three, four, five... senses working overtime..", XTC.

Life beyond voluntary work scares me, but what else is there?
  • MrsShawToBe
    • 13th May 12, 8:41 AM
    • 13th May 12, 8:41 AM
    Sorry but I think its a bit wrong to take advantage of a charity like this.

I would hope anyone who takes this book makes a small donation at least.
    • good advice
    • By good advice 13th May 12, 9:03 AM
    • 2,624 Posts
    • 10,488 Thanks
    good advice
    • 13th May 12, 9:03 AM
    • 13th May 12, 9:03 AM
    I got this book in the week. It is a large flip chart A4 size book.
    • margaretclare
    • By margaretclare 13th May 12, 9:43 AM
    • 9,982 Posts
    • 16,128 Thanks
    margaretclare
    • 13th May 12, 9:43 AM
    • 13th May 12, 9:43 AM
    What on earth does 'Asian' mean? There's a huge variety of different foods, recipes, cultural food traditions, in Asia. Think of India alone, then you've got China and all the other countries.
    r ic wisdom funde, r wear ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
    • sharnad
    • By sharnad 13th May 12, 9:45 AM
    • 8,563 Posts
    • 8,498 Thanks
    sharnad
    • 13th May 12, 9:45 AM
    • 13th May 12, 9:45 AM
    great thanks I will shove something into the charity box next time im near one of there shops
  • jimsmillions
    • 13th May 12, 10:05 AM
    • 13th May 12, 10:05 AM
    Sorry but I think its a bit wrong to take advantage of a charity like this.

I would hope anyone who takes this book makes a small donation at least.
    Originally posted by MrsShawToBe

Hi, yeh maybe should have worded it a bit better. Making a donation would be good
  • john_kent
    • 13th May 12, 11:15 AM
    • 13th May 12, 11:15 AM
    I use their shop often and have picked up some good stuff from there. When I had to move from my furnished flat last year as the landlord hadnt paid mortgage , I moved to another and had nx to no furniture. Bought some good quality items. Alwas get rid off things there as well.

Best buy was a fully automatic mobility chair for girlfriends dad. We were quoted 1000 for one yet the day we moved we saw one in BHF for 80 and it was so new all th cables were still in a box.
  • moos mummy
    • 13th May 12, 12:07 PM
    • 13th May 12, 12:07 PM
    I also hope people will donate something, I know a freebie is a freebie but the BHF do a lot of good work and even popping a few pence loose in your pocket into their charity boxes is a big help if everyone did it x
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th May 12, 12:14 PM
    • 18,998 Posts
    • 36,779 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    What on earth does 'Asian' mean? There's a huge variety of different foods, recipes, cultural food traditions, in Asia. Think of India alone, then you've got China and all the other countries.
    Originally posted by margaretclare
    I won this last year in a draw and haven't used it once, mainly because I don't eat meat. From memory, the recipes are very basic, and mostly Indian although heavly anglicised. I think I left it with my mum (who is an excellent cook) so it's most probably gathering dust now!

I think it's aimed at getting the S Asian community to cut fat out of their diets / non-asians to eat low fat but tasty meals. So overall a good intention but no great shakes for accomplished cooks.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th May 12, 12:19 PM
    • 18,998 Posts
    • 36,779 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I also hope people will donate something, I know a freebie is a freebie but the BHF do a lot of good work and even popping a few pence loose in your pocket into their charity boxes is a big help if everyone did it x
    Originally posted by moos mummy
    Although I contribute regularly to heart and cancer charities, I have a bit of an issue with a reliance on charitable foundations doing work that should be funded by the NHS. A lack of national investment in healthcare is a serious oversight.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
  • jimsmillions
    Thinking about it I would think the book is probably funded. I would imagine they would not ship a product they loose money on. MY wife works for a charity and things often work like this. Though still good to make a donation.
    • dory22
    • By dory22 13th May 12, 9:40 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    dory22
    i always donate to bristish heart foundation my sister was born with a hole in heart and one of the heart valves wasnt formed properly and they did a lot for my parents apprently ( shes older then me) every few years she has to have another operation to replace the little tube she has on the valve, if one more person is aware of this charity through this freebie thread then great, i for one will be donating.
    • summertreats
    • By summertreats 14th May 12, 12:06 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 3,099 Thanks
    summertreats
    thanks for this
  • Waynoo
    Not a fan of Asian food but thanx.
    • Missli
    • By Missli 14th May 12, 5:08 PM
    • 6,280 Posts
    • 15,419 Thanks
    Missli
    Thanks, will be interesting to see whats in there. I think I'll bung something in their charity box next time too.
  • Cailin
    Error message
    "The requested document is not available, or you don't have permission to view it." eben though I registered
  • On The Ball
    I'm getting that error too, it might be because the link went out in the weekly mail.
  • faerie~spangles
    The requested document is not available, or you don't have permission to view it.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I'm not that way reclined

Jewelry? Seriously? Sheldon you are the most shallow, self-centered person I have ever met. Do you really think that another transparently-manipu... OH, IT'S A TIARA! A tiara; I have a tiara! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me!
    • savvy06
    • By savvy06 31st May 12, 9:23 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    savvy06
    "The requested document is not available, or you don't have permission to view it." eben though I registered
    Originally posted by Cailin
    Me too - being trying since Wednesday, not even had the opportunity to register
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

822Posts Today

4,656Users online

Martin's Twitter