Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SoozyJ22
    • By SoozyJ22 25th Feb 07, 4:22 PM
    • 3,025Posts
    • 21,685Thanks
    SoozyJ22
    Gift baskets
    • 25th Feb 07, 4:22 PM
    Gift baskets 25th Feb 07 at 4:22 PM
    Hi everyone, I hope you can help me.

I've accumulated a lot of Boots goodies from their wonderful offers and since my grandma and my stepmother both have birthdays in March I thought I'd make up gift baskets for them. But I can't find any suitable baskets. Yesterday I tried woolies, poundland and wilkinsons but there was nothing at all suitable - the only baskets I found were massive. I know other people on here have made gift baskets, so I was wondering where you found suitable baskets from. Any ideas gratefully received.

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to get cellophane from?

Thanks very much, Susie.
Page 1
  • GirlRacer
    • 25th Feb 07, 4:31 PM
    • 25th Feb 07, 4:31 PM
    Have you tried Ikea?
    • Techno
    • By Techno 25th Feb 07, 4:45 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    Techno
    • 25th Feb 07, 4:45 PM
    I was in Asda today and they had dark wicker type baskets with a cotton liner - pack of 4 in varying sizes reduced from £15 to £7.50
    • SoozyJ22
    • By SoozyJ22 25th Feb 07, 4:45 PM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 21,685 Thanks
    SoozyJ22
    No, I was just looking around my town. I'll try to take a trip to Ikea one night this week. Thanks
    • SoozyJ22
    • By SoozyJ22 25th Feb 07, 5:04 PM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 21,685 Thanks
    SoozyJ22
    • 25th Feb 07, 5:04 PM
    • 25th Feb 07, 5:04 PM
    Ooh even better - Asda's even closer to me. Thanks Techno.
  • beckyw
    • 25th Feb 07, 5:25 PM
    • 25th Feb 07, 5:25 PM
    I've been busy making up hampers from Boots goodies too. I couldn't find any baskets that were reasonably priced. My solution was to cover cardboard boxes from Lidl (small fruit and veg ones) with some of my stock of wrapping paper. I''ve then put shredded paper in the bottom and then arranged the presents. They look fab too - everyone has gushed over them so far

Becky
  • black-saturn
    • 25th Feb 07, 5:40 PM
    • 25th Feb 07, 5:40 PM
    Wilkinsons have different selections of baskets for sale at a reasonable price.
    • SoozyJ22
    • By SoozyJ22 25th Feb 07, 5:42 PM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 21,685 Thanks
    SoozyJ22
    • 25th Feb 07, 5:42 PM
    • 25th Feb 07, 5:42 PM
    Not in my local Wilkinsons
  • black-saturn
    • 25th Feb 07, 5:44 PM
    • 25th Feb 07, 5:44 PM
    They had them in poundland too at the weekend.
    • SoozyJ22
    • By SoozyJ22 25th Feb 07, 5:45 PM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 21,685 Thanks
    SoozyJ22
    Nope, I tried there too and they were massive. I'll check back later in the week though. Thanks.
  • Miss Kitty Fantastico
    Hi

i make loads of gift baskets - here is some ideas

i have got some on ebay 12" round equivalent of 1.19 each

some smaller ones on ebay with handles equivalent of 1.25 each

some great ones at car boot sales only pennies

wooden trays in woolies just now with sides reduced from 10 to 5 to 3

or you dont even have to use baskets - i did a chinese cookery one and used a wok 5 in woolies

or a cheap holiday wicker bag a few pounds in the likes of primark makes a good basket and the person also has a bag to use on holiday

also au naturel and instore do some great baskets slightly more expensive but definately worth it

hope that helps
    • celyn90
    • By celyn90 25th Feb 07, 7:49 PM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 15,150 Thanks
    celyn90
    I tend to get hold of cellophane in catering shops (the ones that sell icing and sugarcraft things) - it's much cheaper than in the art and craft stores and you can usually buy rolls of it. Also - if you want to tie the tops up, plain raffia looks nice (cheap in wilkinson garden section or garden centres) or florist ribbon (most florists - usually buy by the metre and very cheaply too!). I agree with Miss Kitty on the bags as a substitute - I've used make-up bags and little handbags for the same thing from Primark and they looked great - they were cheaper than the baskets I could find and useful afterwards too.
    • Jennie
    • By Jennie 25th Feb 07, 8:06 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 6,300 Thanks
    Jennie
    We have a nursery near us and in there they sell the rolls of cellophane - big rolls - for about 7.50. Mine has lasted ages and ages and ages. They sell the plain, with patterns (hearts, stars, flowers) and in different colours.

They also sell coloured raffia and a little goes a long way.

Ebay is great for all the accessories - flowers on wire that kind of thing.

Hope that helps!
    Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna. Never will.
    • SoozyJ22
    • By SoozyJ22 25th Feb 07, 9:00 PM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 21,685 Thanks
    SoozyJ22
    Thanks everyone
  • midlandsfairy
    I'd def second trying ebay... I've got some great cellophane from ebay before although dont know any of the sellers names off the top of my head, sorry.

I've bought a couple of rolls before and it was comparable in price to the local garden centre (but less of a trek to get it!)

Hope that helps a bit
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,644Users online

Martin's Twitter