Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Cutting Tax > more tax on two part time jobs rather than one? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
more tax on two part time jobs rather than one?
Closed Thread
Views: 2,922
# 1
Midg
Old 19-02-2012, 6:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default more tax on two part time jobs rather than one?

Hi,

I have a job that I work from home, and pay varies as its paid per unit!It is around 5-6 pounds an hour.
I am starting another job that pays 6 pound an hour.

I am hoping to do between 24 and 32 hours in total between the two jobs.
Does anyone know if this will mean that I will have to pay more tax than if I just worked the same hours at one of these?

People keep telling me its not worth doing because I will be taxed way more! HELP! I need the money but both employers don't have enough work for a full time position!

Thanks! Midgy!
# 2
HappyMJ
Old 19-02-2012, 6:43 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The tax overall will be the same as 1 full time job with the same combined hours. It'll be cheaper for the employers in question as each employer does not have to pay any employers national insurance contribution for part time employees on minimum wage but would have to if they employed someone on full time wages.

If your average hours is 28 hours times 6 = 168 then the tax will be about 4.85 and the employee NI will be about 3.48. http://listentotaxman.com/index.php
# 3
Mikeyorks
Old 19-02-2012, 6:45 PM

The tax will be exactly the same. You pay 20% over your personal allowance (7475 this year) regardless of how your income splits.

But - you do need to get the personal allowance split between the 2 jobs if neither of them pays over the 7475 (8105 from April). That will hopefully save you overpaying tax on one job and then reclaiming it after the year end.
If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
# 4
LittleVoice
Old 19-02-2012, 6:46 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You have a personal tax-free allowance (7475 this tax year) which is applied to your earnings in total no matter how many employers you have. This way you pay no more tax than if you had one job.

By having two employers you will save a little on National Insurance.

7475 is about 143 a week As you probably won't earn quite this amount in a week from either employer, you can ask that your tax code is split between them. If you don't HMRC can sort it out after the year end but you would, in the meantime but not in the end, pay a little more tax than you need.
# 5
agrinnall
Old 19-02-2012, 6:47 PM

No, tax is the same whether you do the work in 1 job or 10. You will need 2 tax codes, if 1 job pays enough to use your whole personal allowance (7475 for 2011/2, 8105 for 2012/3) then the easiest method is to apply the whole allowance to that job and have a code of BR on the other job.

NI works differently as it is paid per employment, but you may in fact be better off as you don't pay anything until you reach the primary threshold (139 per week) in a job, so for instance if you earn 150 a week in each job you only pay NI on 22, whereas if you earned 300 in a single job you'd pay it on 161.

Edited to add: the downside is that if you earn below the lower earnings limit in both jobs (102 pw) then you won't have any NI contributions recorded so your access to state benefits may be affected at a later date.

Last edited by agrinnall; 19-02-2012 at 6:49 PM.
# 6
CKhalvashi
Old 19-02-2012, 6:58 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CKhalvashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midg View Post
Hi,

I have a job that I work from home, and pay varies as its paid per unit!It is around 5-6 pounds an hour.
I am starting another job that pays 6 pound an hour.

I am hoping to do between 24 and 32 hours in total between the two jobs.
Does anyone know if this will mean that I will have to pay more tax than if I just worked the same hours at one of these?

People keep telling me its not worth doing because I will be taxed way more! HELP! I need the money but both employers don't have enough work for a full time position!

Thanks! Midgy!
Noone pointed out - 6/h is less than NMW, unless youre under 21
Irony is America calling itself democratic....

I am here to help, but reserve the right to be blunt.
Next stop: Valetta, Vienna
The Following User Says Thank You to CKhalvashi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Savvy_Sue
Old 19-02-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKhalvashi View Post
Noone pointed out - 6/h is less than NMW, unless youre under 21
I was about to, you got there first.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
# 8
heretolearn
Old 20-02-2012, 7:27 AM

You did the right thing in coming here to check out what you've heard.

The older I get the less and less I listen to what 'people' tell me as hard lessons have taught me most people love to make up total crap about subjects they know absolutely nothing about, and see nothing wrong in doing that.
Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: 2565.

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
Closed Thread