Who needs to be matching - groom/best man etc

Options
We are thinking about male outfits. I like the idea of OH being in a morning suit, and we feel the best man should match him too. But we are debating whether to hire one for my dad and his dad. Which is the best / less stupid looking option
1) groom in morning suit cravat waistcoat etc, all others in their own suit but with matching cravat etc
2) groom n best man matching, others in cravat/tie etc
3) groom n best man matching and no others in cravat/tie?

Would it really look odd is my dad n oh dad had their own suits but with cravat/tie?

I hope u understand :) we are not having ushers

Comments

• scrumpy78
    Options
    It's not about the money as such ie we can afford it, is whether we think it a necessary cost?
  • MrsDrink
    MrsDrink Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Options
    "Who needs to be matching?" - No-one needs to be doing anything other than the two of you taking your vows. :)
    The question should be "who would you like to be matching?" It is your choice :)

That being said personally I'm a little bit of an OCDy person - I do like uniformity and for me if I was having a wedding party then I'd want them to be in the same outfits (that I would fund).
  • Hollie84
    Hollie84 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For me all the men need to match im a bit like MrsDrink ocd
  • PinkPrincess83
    Options
    I personally think that as long as they had matching shirts and ties or cravats and fairly similar suits it would be fine. I personally think it looks nice when they all match but the groom has a different coloured cravat or button hole- just so he stands out a little bit more.

My oh is sorting out the men so I have no idea what they will going for (until the day), but it will only be my oh, the best man and my step dad (who is giving me away) that will be hopefully matching (or very similar), I have already selected a different colour button hole for him just incase they all end up with the same coloured everything else!!
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My future son in law is having beige waistcoats for himself and his ushers and both dads, all with gold cravats or ruches or somethin like that.
    The groom himself will have a cravat to match the brides dress which is grape coloured, The groom is having a cream/goldy frockcoat.

Ordered them all today including shirts with the funny collars for 7 people £300 hire charge. Didnt think it too bad for a York wedding.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who would you like to match? I would maybe go with that as there are so many variations you might as well go with what you want.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • tfutcher
    Options
    It is personal preference. We are having groom and Father of the bride in Claret waistcoasts and cravats and the Best Man, Father of the Groom and Usher in Ivory waistcoats and cravats. This is so My Dad abd H2B match me (as I have claret in my dress, but H2B thinks it is to match my flowers) but everyone else matches me and bridesmaids (ivory wedding dress, black&white bridesmaid dress). We also thought it was nice that H2b and My dad stand out from the rest.xx
  • MrsShawToBe
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    My future son in law is having beige waistcoats for himself and his ushers and both dads, all with gold cravats or ruches or somethin like that.
    The groom himself will have a cravat to match the brides dress which is grape coloured, The groom is having a cream/goldy frockcoat.

Ordered them all today including shirts with the funny collars for 7 people £300 hire charge. Didnt think it too bad for a York wedding.

In York? I'm in York and can't find suits cheap anywhere. Could you PM me where you are getting these from please?

We would like to have everyone matching but simply cannot afford it with being quoted £80 each!
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    It's personal choice and the idea of people matching is in my experience a relatively new idea. My husband and best man were in highland dress but we never even asked my father or the ushers etc what they were wearing and they wore suits which they picked and looked just fine.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Debbiecatal
    Options
    We have six men in the main wedding party. The groom and his 2 best men are having one style suit, the 2 fathers and the bride's brother are having a slightly different, slightly less formal style. The groom is also having a different waistcoat and tie from the others. We think it will look great!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure