🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Earning money on YouTube

Options
I frequently make some short videos and upload them to YouTube - the majority are not that interesting unless you have a keen interest in Flight Simulators or Retro Video Games.

Anyways, among these videos are a couple that get some good views - a video showing how to extract the recordings from a Sky box for example. Or a video I shot years ago in a waterpark in Portugal has now broke 30K views.

Most videos are shot in 1080p/720p HD using my iPhone 4S and the editing done in Sony Vegas Pro ... the quality is there. YouTube have been nagging me for a while to join the revenue scheme and monetise my videos - I done this on Sunday night and have made £2.94 in the past three days.

This isn't bad, but will be cautious of it affecting my video views. However I'm now thinking I could make some more videos - I'm a skilled IT technician with experience in Microsoft Windows/Office/Exchange and Mac OS 9 through to 10.7 Lion.

Does anyone have thoughts on videos they think may be popular on YouTube and others would like to see. Initially I thought I'd improve on some already there - but don't want to rely on stealing others ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Chib.

Comments

• Minnie-the-Minx_2
    Options
    Not sure if this is of much help to you but the videos I am most likely to look at are the ones showing me how to do something that will save me money - how to take the lid of a Dettol no touch soap bottle to refill with cheap soap rather than paying for an expensive refill for example.

Also I might look at a video of how something works before deciding whether to buy it or not - like an online review. I'm not very techie so sometimes I might be thinking "I know the product can do xyz but will I be able to do it" so seeing someone do something online would show me whether it is something I could manage myself or not.
    If you're not scared, you're not paying attention
  • Hoody
    Hoody Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Tutorials are always pretty big? gaming? coding or how to fix it problems? Also beware now you are a partner. If you use any video footage or music that could be in any way construed as breaking copy write laws they will nuke your account.
  • chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    My tutorials at the moment are things like... How to perform a vertical lookup in Excel, Changing the logon background in Windows 7, Etc.

Two of my basic and popular videos are, an unboxing of a PC case and how to remove the gearknob from a Seat Ibiza. (Nightmare so it is!)

Perhaps simple is the answer...
  • Gilb501_2
    Options
    Great idea! I would say tutorials are good.
    Also things like cooking videos will be a hit im sure?
    I'd say stick to what you're good at, and have a play around with it.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    My 14 y/o son is interested in earning money on Youtube but I havent paid much attention till now. He was talking about sponsorship, I'm not sure what he was hoping to do but would be interested if anyone has more info on that.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • MummyMummy_2
    Options
    I often see gaming/achievement walk through videos with lots of views and also girls make up/hair/beauty tutorials seem to do really well with views too! Not sure if that's much help at all haha :| x
    £254/£12,000 challenge... Only £11,746 to go! Wish me luck! :|
  • Art_Vandelay_2
    Options
    Solving problems is another one - said goodbye to 2 Xbox's 2-3 years ago due to heating issues/mechanical failures.

When my current one had a similar problem I found a youtube video that enabled me to fix it myself in 5 minutes and saved me quite a bit of cash.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would definitely go for tutorials if you are techy. If you buy a lot of gadgets you could try unboxing videos (where you open up a new product on camera, show what's in the box and give your first impressions). They seem to be very popular.
  • chib
    Options
    Solving problems is another one - said goodbye to 2 Xbox's 2-3 years ago due to heating issues/mechanical failures.

When my current one had a similar problem I found a youtube video that enabled me to fix it myself in 5 minutes and saved me quite a bit of cash.

I've fixed many Xbox 360's by removing the X-Clamp and replacing with washers/screws and some new thermal paste. You can get a kit for £2 on eBay - I'll pick up a faulty Xbox from someone and get it repaired and video the process.
    Hermia wrote: »
    I would definitely go for tutorials if you are techy. If you buy a lot of gadgets you could try unboxing videos (where you open up a new product on camera, show what's in the box and give your first impressions). They seem to be very popular.

Good idea, in the process of saving money I'm not buying a lot of gadgets - however I'll be buying a new newborn car seat and ISOFIX bracket soon ... maybe there is some interest in that.
  • chib
    Options
    Gilb501 wrote: »
    Great idea! I would say tutorials are good.
    Also things like cooking videos will be a hit im sure?
    I'd say stick to what you're good at, and have a play around with it.

You've not seen my cooking! I tried to make a rocky road last week and it ended up looking like a cow pat with some bits of broken up rich tea biscuits in it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport