Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 2nd Feb 12, 3:33 PM
    • 10,911Posts
    • 35,960Thanks
    sarah1972
    0 WOW
    Sign Language for Beginners
    • 2nd Feb 12, 3:33 PM
    0 WOW
    Sign Language for Beginners 2nd Feb 12 at 3:33 PM
    Alphabet chart http://www.britishsignlanguage.com/downloads/alphabet2.pdf

http://www.learnsignlanguage.co.uk/free-offer/sign-language-for-beginners.pdf

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 25-01-2016 at 1:30 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE?http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-introduction-guide?_ga=1.180583330.489173029.1402242994
Page 1
    • thriftyemma
    • By thriftyemma 2nd Feb 12, 8:34 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    thriftyemma
    • 2nd Feb 12, 8:34 PM
    • 2nd Feb 12, 8:34 PM
    Not sure this is a freebie. The PDF is a brief history and introduction to Sign Language. It doesn't teach you anything. There is an offer, but you have to purchase two instructional DVDs to get a free sign dictionary, and free two-disc DVD set.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 3rd Feb 12, 6:23 AM
    • 10,911 Posts
    • 35,960 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 3rd Feb 12, 6:23 AM
    • 3rd Feb 12, 6:23 AM
    Not sure this is a freebie. The PDF is a brief history and introduction to Sign Language. It doesn't teach you anything. There is an offer, but you have to purchase two instructional DVDs to get a free sign dictionary, and free two-disc DVD set.
    Originally posted by thriftyemma

There you go then, the freebie is a brief history and introduction to sign language, you have answered your own question

Also an added alphabet too
    I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE?http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-introduction-guide?_ga=1.180583330.489173029.1402242994
  • Farmer-Fred
    • 8th Feb 12, 11:59 PM
    Makaton Symbols
    • 8th Feb 12, 11:59 PM
    Thanks Sarah for a nice free chart for beginners.
    I've just started to support some adults who are non-verbal and use some Makaton. I want to make some posters and signs using makaton symbols to help them, but I'm really struggling to find some resources on-line and free to use.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
  • kittycatface
    • 9th Feb 12, 12:28 AM
    • 9th Feb 12, 12:28 AM
    Thanks Sarah for a nice free chart for beginners.
    I've just started to support some adults who are non-verbal and use some Makaton. I want to make some posters and signs using makaton symbols to help them, but I'm really struggling to find some resources on-line and free to use.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Farmer-Fred
    Hi FF Here is a link:
    http://www.makaton.org/khxc/gbu0-catshow/free.html
    nursery rhymes are a bit patronising for adults but there's other stuff there which might be useful.
    Failing that phone the council where you work (adult social care team, learning disabilities) and ask them if there are any courses/resources they can recommend or send out. Ask also in your local library, whatever isn't there they can order in from other libraries in the county. Or Get your employer to pay for a course saying its essential for you to be able to communicate adequately in your role! Good luck I am sure the ppl you support will be happy you are putting so much effort in- I can assure you not everyone cares as much as you!
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 13th Feb 12, 7:50 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    • 13th Feb 12, 7:50 PM
    • 13th Feb 12, 7:50 PM
    This may be useful.

http://www.british-sign.co.uk/fingerspelling_alphabet.php
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • JoanneW
    • 16th Feb 12, 10:12 PM
    • 16th Feb 12, 10:12 PM
    Makaton is a very small charity and the symbols are copyrighted (You have to pay for using them) However they are iconic ie the symbol for toilet is actually a toilet and not an androgenous person so are straightforward to copy. If you ring the makaton charity they will describe the symbol over the phone to you for free! A good resource for basics is Mr Tumble on Cbeebies. Try bbc.co.uk/cbeebies and look under the link for Something Special. I used this a lot when teaching my son Makaton and had symbols around the house. Good luck. If you're lucky you may find a local makaton teacher but they are self employed so normally need a good turnout to warrant putting on a course. Everything in the basic and advanced signs and symbols course is covered on early episodes of something special, Justin taught me everything I know!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,249Users online

Martin's Twitter