IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sign Language for Beginners
Views: 36,099
# 1
WOW Factor 0
sarah1972
Old 02-02-2012, 3:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Sign Language for Beginners

Alphabet chart http://www.britishsignlanguage.com/d.../alphabet2.pdf

http://www.learnsignlanguage.co.uk/f...-beginners.pdf

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sit...oduction-guide

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 23-04-2013 at 4:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sarah1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
The following User got this: Show me >>
# 2
thriftyemma
Old 02-02-2012, 8:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Not sure this is a freebie. The PDF is a brief history and introduction to Sign Language. It doesn't teach you anything. There is an offer, but you have to purchase two instructional DVDs to get a free sign dictionary, and free two-disc DVD set.
# 3
sarah1972
Old 03-02-2012, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftyemma View Post
Not sure this is a freebie. The PDF is a brief history and introduction to Sign Language. It doesn't teach you anything. There is an offer, but you have to purchase two instructional DVDs to get a free sign dictionary, and free two-disc DVD set.

There you go then, the freebie is a brief history and introduction to sign language, you have answered your own question

Also an added alphabet too
I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sit...oduction-guide
The Following User Says Thank You to sarah1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Farmer-Fred
Old 08-02-2012, 11:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Makaton Symbols

Thanks Sarah for a nice free chart for beginners.
I've just started to support some adults who are non-verbal and use some Makaton. I want to make some posters and signs using makaton symbols to help them, but I'm really struggling to find some resources on-line and free to use.
Any ideas?
Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmer-Fred For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
kittycatface
Old 09-02-2012, 12:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer-Fred View Post
Thanks Sarah for a nice free chart for beginners.
I've just started to support some adults who are non-verbal and use some Makaton. I want to make some posters and signs using makaton symbols to help them, but I'm really struggling to find some resources on-line and free to use.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Hi FF Here is a link:
http://www.makaton.org/khxc/gbu0-catshow/free.html
nursery rhymes are a bit patronising for adults but there's other stuff there which might be useful.
Failing that phone the council where you work (adult social care team, learning disabilities) and ask them if there are any courses/resources they can recommend or send out. Ask also in your local library, whatever isn't there they can order in from other libraries in the county. Or Get your employer to pay for a course saying its essential for you to be able to communicate adequately in your role! Good luck I am sure the ppl you support will be happy you are putting so much effort in- I can assure you not everyone cares as much as you!
The Following User Says Thank You to kittycatface For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Smiley_Mum
Old 13-02-2012, 7:50 PM

This may be useful.

http://www.british-sign.co.uk/finger...g_alphabet.php
“Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Smiley_Mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
JoanneW
Old 16-02-2012, 10:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Makaton is a very small charity and the symbols are copyrighted (You have to pay for using them) However they are iconic ie the symbol for toilet is actually a toilet and not an androgenous person so are straightforward to copy. If you ring the makaton charity they will describe the symbol over the phone to you for free! A good resource for basics is Mr Tumble on Cbeebies. Try bbc.co.uk/cbeebies and look under the link for Something Special. I used this a lot when teaching my son Makaton and had symbols around the house. Good luck. If you're lucky you may find a local makaton teacher but they are self employed so normally need a good turnout to warrant putting on a course. Everything in the basic and advanced signs and symbols course is covered on early episodes of something special, Justin taught me everything I know!
The Following User Says Thank You to JoanneW For This Useful Post: Show me >>