Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > What do people think of this TEFL course? £55 for... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What do people think of this TEFL course? £55 for a TEFL/TESOL certification
Views: 2,571
# 1
kdamani
Old 13-01-2012, 5:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default What do people think of this TEFL course? £55 for a TEFL/TESOL certification

£55 for a TEFL/TESOL certification from Global Language Training worth £325

Also seems accredited. http://www.actdec.org.uk/members.shtml although it's under
"Applicant Membership of ACTDEC registers intent on the part of the institution, to seek accreditation for a specific course (or courses) and, by implication, signals a willingness on the part of the institution, to adhere to the high standards set out in the code of practice."

Anyone heard of this company? What do people think of this?

http://www.kgbdeals.co.uk/national/deals/69851
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to kdamani For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Sleazy
Old 13-01-2012, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Never heard of them, but watching the post with interest as this is something that I've been considering.
Errare humanum est, perseverare autem diabolicum
# 3
Carl31
Old 13-01-2012, 5:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Anything that makes claims like that i tend to steer clear of

Especially on groupon type sites
# 4
heretolearn
Old 13-01-2012, 5:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I knew something similar had come up recently. Consensus is that it doesn't really qualify you to teach although depending on the qualification you might get a job in some dodgy place in thailand...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...highlight=tefl
Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
The Following User Says Thank You to heretolearn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Scott1c
Old 13-01-2012, 5:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Kdamani. I taught English in a Bilingual school in Thailand for eleven years. The course doesn't look legitimate to me. Really you need to look at doing a CELTA, or Trinity Certificate. They are both expensive. Experience working with children will generally be considered more valuable, maybe you could get experience working with the Brownies, Cubs or youth group. Most TEFL work is teaching kids, not all but most. Experience in a UK school would also be very valuable.
# 6
kdamani
Old 13-01-2012, 5:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretolearn View Post
I knew something similar had come up recently. Consensus is that it doesn't really qualify you to teach although depending on the qualification you might get a job in some dodgy place in thailand...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...highlight=tefl

Yup, that was with TEFL express, who apparently accredited themselves, making them totally unreliable. I'm just thinking that if this company seems a bit more trustworthy, this deal is pretty good as a 120/150 hour online course is about £300. Though still researching it, as perhaps this deal is too good to be true.
# 7
dizzyrascal
Old 13-01-2012, 6:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Most established and reputable TEFL courses take a good few weeks to get through and charge approx £1.000 so this one looks too good to be true. I think sometimes the course is offered free as long as you work for the company at a destination of their choosing for a fixed term. If you don't fulfil the contract then they can recover the fees they have spent in training you. No reputable courses operate this way, which probably tells you all you need to know
# 8
Kate78
Old 13-01-2012, 8:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you are going to spend your money on a TEFL certificate, then I would go for either the Trinity College London TESOL certificate or the CELTA (google either of these to find providers).

Both cost around £1000-£1200 to complete and can be done as a four week intensive course. All the good schools request one of these certificates as the entry level qualification. Online certificates can be a useful introduction, but the CELTA/Trinity qualifications require teaching practice and observations to pass and this is valued by employers.
Barclaycard 0% - £1688.37 Paid off 10.06.12
# 9
bluenitsuj
Old 18-02-2012, 5:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have been looking for a while and considering the following:
http://www.tefl.co.uk/

Would anyone recommend this, part 2 does involve practical teachings in a classroom. The price is about £400 total for both parts. Part 1 an intensive 20 hour 3 day weekend course, and then Part 2 is 80 hours of distance learning.

Any feedback, especially anyone that may have done this course. I have also been looking at the TESOL course but not sure which to go for.
I am only trying to help :rolleyes:
# 10
conradmum
Old 19-02-2012, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenitsuj View Post

Would anyone recommend this, part 2 does involve practical teachings in a classroom. The price is about £400 total for both parts. Part 1 an intensive 20 hour 3 day weekend course, and then Part 2 is 80 hours of distance learning.

Any feedback, especially anyone that may have done this course. I have also been looking at the TESOL course but not sure which to go for.
I taught TEFL and ESOL for over 15 years in Australia, Laos and England. As other posters have said, the only qualifications worth doing are the CELTA and Trinity TESOL. Anything else is a scam and not worth the paper it's written on, honestly.

What country do you want to teach in? Have a look at Dave ESL Cafe forum for advice on what qualifications you need for each country. Some countries don't even require EFL qualfications, only a degree. If you want to teach in England you're better off doing one of the new FE qualifications (assuming you want to teach adults; there's very little work teaching ESOL to children in the UK).
# 11
Lith
Old 19-02-2012, 5:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Not sure about these TEFL/TESOL certification courses... i've got a friend who teach in china with out them.. also NEVER USE an agency... if its china then... Come to China first and then find a job. Don't let an agency arrange everything for you -- if they do your visa, accommodation, schedule, etc., then they are able to trap you. I've heard way too many horror stories.....

Of the old hands who teach, many search through a network of foreign friends living in a city to look for a job. It's best not to go through an agency and to try to speak to schools directly. Public middle schools in Beijing, for example, pay RMB 9000 per month (no accommodation provided) and expect 12-16 hours of class from you. Universities pay RMB 6000, provide accommodation, and expect fewer hours of class. But this is Beijing tho...

- Good Luck, but you don't really need those... unless you want to teach in big places because like I said I know a friend whos
(still there...) never teached in his life never had TEFL/TSOL or degrees

And most schools would happily accept British over american any other day (not a racist thing..) just most schools would love to prefer British English rather than american English but 90% schools always have american teachers...
• HSBC (Main A/C)
• Halifax Back up A/C
• Lloyds (Spending) A/C
• RBS Back up A/C
• Barclays Old A/C
• Nationwide Old A/C
The Following User Says Thank You to Lith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
briona
Old 19-02-2012, 8:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenitsuj View Post

Hi there,

Online/combined courses (online CELTA excepted) are much of a muchness and many schools categorically refuse to accept them! When looking at courses with a practical element, check whether trainees teach real students or just their fellow trainees. If it's the latter there's little point in doing the course. If it's the former, it's far better to have a recognised certificate which does just that, in other words the CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL. But at £1,000+ for a four-/five-week intensive course, these don't come cheap.

Contrary to popular opinion there is no one accrediting body for TEFL courses, so any provider claiming that their courses are internationally recognised is not being truthful. The ONLY courses that have any degree of international recognition are the CELTA and Trinity CertTESOL ones. Note that if you ever want to teach in a native English-speaking country, such as the UK, you will have to have one of these.

The other thing to be aware of is that for those without a degree (in any subject) the list of places where you can legally teach is fast decreasing. Currently your best bets are China, Cambodia, Laos, Ecuador and Costa Rica. But come 2015, with ASEAN integration (the Asian version of the EU), it will no longer be possible to teach anywhere in South East Asia without a degree.

For those in possession of a passport from an EU member state, the whole of Europe is open to you. That said, Europe is a very popular destination for EFL teachers and to be in with a chance of landing a job, it helps to have to a degree and a CELTA/Trinity CertTESOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lith View Post
And most schools would happily accept British over american any other day (not a racist thing..) just most schools would love to prefer British English rather than american English but 90% schools always have american teachers...
@ Lith: You should check your 'facts' before posting them. It's not true that "90% of schools have American teachers", and certainly not in Europe where Americans struggle to find legal work. Neither is it true that schools would "love to prefer [sic] British English rather than American English". In Asia many schools prefer speakers of American English as this is what their learners are used to as they watch American-produced films and listen to American singers. When I taught in Vietnam I used coursebooks written in American English and had to alter my teaching to suit, e.g., saying 'candy' rather than 'sweets', and 'trash' rather than 'rubbish'.

Quote:
Not sure about these TEFL/TESOL certification courses... i've got a friend who teach in china with out them..
While it's true that you don't need a TEFL certificate in some places, it's not true that they aren't needed at all or that they are "only needed in big places". It all depends on where you want to teach. You will not find work in Europe without some kind of TEFL certification, nor in many parts of Asia.

Quote:
I know a friend whos
(still there...) never teached in his life never had TEFL/TSOL or degrees.
I have no idea what the above means! If someone's never taught before, what is the relevance of having/not having a degree and a TEFL certificate?! Never mind. FWIW the past participle of 'teach' is 'taught' not 'teached'.

Briona
If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to briona For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Lith
Old 19-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

@ briona

Well my facts are right... because I've been to china MANY times and my chinese friends always say most teachers are Americans and some Europeans but hardly any British? i don't know why....

Also about the 'not needing a TEFL/TSOL/Degree' well you don't if you wish to teach in china in public schools junior based how i know this? (trust me on it...) but if you want to EARN MORE and i mean big money... YOU DO NEED some type of qualification... (and just for your information) im talking about teaching in CHINA only... as for other countries or Europe you will need a TEFL etc
• HSBC (Main A/C)
• Halifax Back up A/C
• Lloyds (Spending) A/C
• RBS Back up A/C
• Barclays Old A/C
• Nationwide Old A/C
# 14
charlie-chan
Old 19-02-2012, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would love to do the CELTA but I have not earned enough in my business to fund it. I am studying the TEFL to gain a recognisable qualification .
Competition Wins:

Glee Goodie Bag!
# 15
uponahill
Old 19-02-2012, 7:44 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdamani View Post
£55 for a TEFL/TESOL certification from Global Language Training worth £325

Also seems accredited. http://www.actdec.org.uk/members.shtml although it's under
"Applicant Membership of ACTDEC registers intent on the part of the institution, to seek accreditation for a specific course (or courses) and, by implication, signals a willingness on the part of the institution, to adhere to the high standards set out in the code of practice."

Anyone heard of this company? What do people think of this?

http://www.kgbdeals.co.uk/national/deals/69851
Sounds like one of those dodgy degrees that were on offer from the University of Lagos!!!!

a BA for £250 and a MA for another £200!!
# 16
briona
Old 19-02-2012, 7:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie-chan View Post
I would love to do the CELTA but I have not earned enough in my business to fund it. I am studying the TEFL to gain a recognisable qualification .
I think you've missed the point somewhat! Online TEFL certificates are NOT recognised qualifications - just try looking for work in the UK with one! While it's true that some schools (abroad) will accept them, an increasing number categorically will not.

That said, I did an online TEFL course as a sort of 'taster' just to see whether TEFL was for me. Satisfied that it was, I went on to do a CELTA, where the knowledge I'd gained from the online course gave me an edge over my fellow trainees. Just as well really as the CELTA is THE most intensive thing I've ever done. God only knows how I'd have coped if I had had no prior knowledge of grammar and terminology!
If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
The Following User Says Thank You to briona For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
charlie-chan
Old 19-02-2012, 10:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by briona View Post
I think you've missed the point somewhat! Online TEFL certificates are NOT recognised qualifications - just try looking for work in the UK with one! While it's true that some schools (abroad) will accept them, an increasing number categorically will not.

That said, I did an online TEFL course as a sort of 'taster' just to see whether TEFL was for me. Satisfied that it was, I went on to do a CELTA, where the knowledge I'd gained from the online course gave me an edge over my fellow trainees. Just as well really as the CELTA is THE most intensive thing I've ever done. God only knows how I'd have coped if I had had no prior knowledge of grammar and terminology!
I meant to use as a basis for a CELTA and to allow my tutoring clients to know I have gained some experience.
Competition Wins:

Glee Goodie Bag!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie-chan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
rosie383
Old 18-03-2012, 3:45 PM

I have just finished doing CELTA as a 6 month part-time course. BTW, thanks Briona for your encouragement when I was starting out.

As far as the course goes....... I would advise anyone considering doing the intensive month-long course to think very seriously about the amount of time you have to devote to it. As a wife and Mum to 2 children I could not have done it. No way! Doing it part-time took up so much time each week preparing lesson plans and materials, and doing the assignments.

It was a very intense course, and had some times of real stress, but I have ultimately enjoyed it and can't wait to start looking for some work locally in a couple of weeks so that I can get experience before using it when we move abroad.
March Grocery Challenge £130/ £240
NSD 0

Do not look down upon anybody unless you are helping them up.
The Following User Says Thank You to rosie383 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
flutterbyuk25
Old 18-03-2012, 6:16 PM

Rosie - can I ask how much the CELTA was?
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like, but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.

279 264.5
# 20
rosie383
Old 18-03-2012, 6:20 PM

It cost £600. I did it in a college so it was subsidised by the government. If you do it somewhere like International House in London, it is £1300 this year I believe.
If you can find it in a state college, you will get the same training, but cheaper.
March Grocery Challenge £130/ £240
NSD 0

Do not look down upon anybody unless you are helping them up.
The Following User Says Thank You to rosie383 For This Useful Post: Show me >>