PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Toffee sauce

Options
A while ago I noticed Asda selling some kids snack packs consisting of apple slices and a toffee dipping sauce. It seems like a good idea for reluctant fruit eaters. Anyone got a copycat recipe for the dipping sauce? I was thinking along the lines of brown sugar, butter and evaporated milk, but I'm not very confidant about experimenting.
I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.

Comments

• Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've always made toffee sauce by melting a few spoonfuls of brown sugar with some butter ... for three spoonfuls of sugar say a spoonful of butter. When it's bubbling, I stir in some single cream, until it's got that 'toffee' look. I'd imagine that you could use evaporated milk in a similar way :)

Sorry to be so vague, I just tend to make it as a quick thing for ice cream etc. It tastes great if you pour it over apples and then bake it with crumble on top!
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds yum! I thought about cream, but thought evapoated milk might be better for keepability.
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Bizzimum,

I bought some of the Asda apple with toffee sauce for my children when they were reduced and not one of them would eat the sauce because it was too sweet!

There are some recipes for caramel sauce on this older thread: Caramel Sauce recipe please!

Pink
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    this is a good one for butterscotch sauce

3oz butter or marg
    2tbsp syrup
    2fl oz water
    5oz soft brown sugar
    1/4pt milk plus 1 dsp cornflour mix together

put butter, sugar, syrup and water in a pan, stir till sugar dissolves, boil 3 mins, stirring, gradually add the milk, stir till thickening, cool, put in a covered container and it keeps in the fridge for 2-3 weeks, thickens more when cool
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure