Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > I wanna buy-it or do-it > stop cats crapping in my garden (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
stop cats crapping in my garden
Closed Thread
Views: 4,432
# 1
WOW Factor 0
jaime
Old 02-09-2004, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default stop cats crapping in my garden

Hi. Is there anything I can do/use to stop cats from continually crapping in my garden? There are loads in our street and it is a constant problem. I tried anti-animal spray from the garden centre but it's not that effective and it has to be reapplied afer rain (really practical in this country!) - I'd also prefer not to use chemicals if poss. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
# 2
i_love_morrissey
Old 02-09-2004, 7:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Re: stop cats crapping in my garden

Hello - cat crap is horrid. My friend swears by empty pop bottles filled with water dotted about the garden - apparently they don't like them. It seems to work - even her own cat doesn't crap there!!
# 3
haribol
Old 02-09-2004, 10:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've had a similar problem years ago so I gave them something to remember me by and it works.

Try sprinkling loads of RED Chillie Powder all over the cat walk path/s. Once they try it they will not be returning again.

Good Luck.

# 4
Typical_Scot
Old 02-09-2004, 10:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi
This may not be possible for everyone but what about Lion/Tiger droppings (from a local zoo). Cats are very territorial. If they smell another (Bigger) cat this may deter them. I believe this method works for people bothered with Deer. Might work for cats too. It may sound daft using crap to stop cats crapping in your garden but at least you can hide the Lion/Tiger droppings. Good for the soil and enviroment too.

Just a thought.
# 5
jaime
Old 02-09-2004, 11:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for all that advice. Apparently cats never crap on their own doorstep. May give the water a try - or keep a water pistol handy in case I catch them mid-poo!
# 6
saveaholic
Old 03-09-2004, 12:17 AM
MoneySaving Convert

My father in-law used to swear by homemade snakes! He would cut up lengths of garden hose, wind black tape around them to create stripes and finsh them off with a red paper tongue. He even used to move them around the garden to convince the cats they were the genuine article. All seemed to be going well until one day a cat crapped right on top of one of his masterful creations! ;D
# 7
divadee
Old 03-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I was gonna suggest the lion dung as well

but also get a few garden canes and put a plastic bag round them and when they blow n the wind the cats dont like the noise apparently )it also works with birds)
# 8
divadee
Old 03-09-2004, 12:31 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
I was gonna suggest the lion dung as well

but also get a few garden canes and put a plastic bag round them and when they blow n the wind the cats dont like the noise apparently )it also works with birds) !
just realised that may not be good if its not a windy day :
# 9
Zeldazog
Old 03-09-2004, 12:56 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Hello - cat crap is horrid. !My friend swears by empty pop bottles filled with water dotted about the garden - apparently they don't like them. !It seems to work - even her own cat doesn't crap there!! !
Cats very rarely crap on their own yard - solution? Get your own cat! There might be a few scraps for the territory first off, but ever since my own moggie stood her ground with the big ginger, I haven't found any.

I seem to remember a previous thread on the subject, but I don't know how to post a link to it if I could find it.

And there was a review of cat deterrents on the Which? website a couple of months back, grab a free month's subscription and check it out before you buy anything (the remember to cancel your subscription before you start paying).

# 10
Allexie
Old 03-09-2004, 1:33 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

eerrm...get a dog??? :-/

actually I had a prob with a cat doing unspeakable things in my doorway and I did the water-filled plastic bottle thing and it worked!
# 11
shazrazmataz
Old 03-09-2004, 6:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

try Jeys fluid, dilute it with some water & pour it on the area that the cats keeps going to, also try putting upright twigs there, thats what we did & it soon stopped them, good luck. ;D ;D ;D ;D
# 12
alison6692
Old 03-09-2004, 8:17 PM

To stop cats in our garden we have

1. bottles of water
2. tea bags soaked in albas oil.
3. Cat repellent powder
4. A machine thing that sends out a noise that only cats can hear and deters them from the garden as they don't like the noise.
5. Toy snakes.
6. Cat repellent spray.

er ... and still the cats continue to poop in the garden and it stinks. I have been out today in the sun - and the sun seems to have cooked the poop to make it more pongy than usual!! Nice!

I don't think there is a solution.

p.s. there was a really long thread on this topic but I have searched and searched and can't find it.
# 13
N9eav
Old 05-09-2004, 10:19 AM

The previous thread suggested ' adopt the cat and feed it etc, the cat will then think that your garden is it's OWN territory and crap elsewhere'
# 14
alison6692
Old 07-09-2004, 12:32 PM

Thanks sheel - it was driving me nuts trying to find that thread.

The pesky cat came into my house this morning - ugh!! > thing is he is quite sweet but cannot forgive him for the stinkers he leaves in the garden. Although yesterday he just stood infront of me and sicked up on the patio then I shooed him away and then he sicked in the grass - not as cute
# 15
plasticflower
Old 08-09-2004, 4:14 AM
MoneySaving Convert

This used to be such a big problem for me. I am trying to sort out my garden and have a few empty places in the flower beds, ie. nice fresh earth for the cats to !!!! in.

After buying several types of deterrent from garden centers (which only kept things clear for about a day or two) I dubiously resorted to a tip recommended by a friend - human urine!

Was a bit sceptical and errm, slightly embarrassed at collecting the stuff, but as I'm fed up of smelling cat !!!! everytime I go in my garden I was willing to try anything! Also it's freely available so I've been putting it down as often as I can! :-[
It's only been a couple of weeks but it's worked for longer than anything else I've tried.

Will see if the remedy lasts long term.

Good luck to anyone who's trying this!

P xx
# 16
alison6692
Old 08-09-2004, 4:33 AM

ha ha - will let man know this one!! he can try this little idea out. will let you know the results!
# 17
me
Old 08-09-2004, 2:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
This used to be such a big problem for me. I am trying to sort out my garden and have a few empty places in the flower beds, ie. nice fresh earth for the cats to !!!! in.

After buying several types of deterrent from garden centers (which only kept things clear for about a day or two) I dubiously resorted to a tip recommended by a friend - human urine!

Was a bit sceptical and errm, slightly embarrassed at collecting the stuff, but as I'm fed up of smelling cat !!!! everytime I go in my garden I was willing to try anything! Also it's freely available so I've been putting it down as often as I can! :-[
It's only been a couple of weeks but it's worked for longer than anything else I've tried.

Will see if the remedy lasts long term.

Good luck to anyone who's trying this!

P xx

I heard the 'urine' reference at a garden show recently, so I thought I would give it a go. I have been 'marking' the areas where the cats frequent, using a 'filled' squeezy bottle and so far, it has not made the blindest bit of difference.

In fact cat sightings in our garden seems to have increased!! >

# 18
hintsandthings
Old 25-09-2004, 4:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

You will find a lot of useful suggestions here - http://www.hintsandthings.com/garden/cats.htm
# 19
flub
Old 27-09-2004, 1:03 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Citronella is brilliant for this and can be bought at garden centres, DIY etc. needs to be replenished after rain.
Also, you can get felt pellets for .177 air guns. if you can get a good bead, blast them. Stings but no damage. Good, especially if you don't know who the little !!!!!! belongs too.

Good hunting ;D

Flub
# 20
Galtizz
Old 27-09-2004, 3:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I tried:

Water bottles - Didn't work
Chilli Powder - Didn't work
Cat repellent plants from B and Q - didn't work
Hanging CD's - didn't work
Vinegar - Works for everything else! - but doesn't repel cats.

Gave up and spent a couple of months in summer chasing the little b*ggers off the garden with the hosepipe! and it seems to have worked. - though this did coincide with the next door neighbours getting a rotweiller ;D

Although they still cut through the garden and sunbathe on the shed they have stopped cr*pping in the garden.

Still chase them off now and again as a reminder.
Closed Thread