Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > Amazon Discount Finder Discussion (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Amazon Discount Finder Discussion
Views: 8,783
# 1
WOW Factor 0
MSE Jenny
Old 29-11-2011, 1:19 PM
Senior Writer
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Amazon Discount Finder Discussion

Our Amazon Discount Finder manipulates Amazon web-links to create customised bargain basement pages. Just select the percent off the list price & the category you want, eg, TVs 30%+ off or DVDs 90%+ off.

We would love to hear any feedback on the answers it gives, any new categories you'd like added and other suggestions. It would also be fab if you could add any top Amazon discount links you find and other Amazon buying tips that we haven't included in the guide below the tool.

Thanks!

Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 29-11-2011 at 1:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSE Jenny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Jake the Spike
Old 30-11-2011, 10:35 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default New categories

I was testing the new-look Amazon Discount Finder and was disappointed to find no department for Musical Instruments (Amazon does have one) and/or Amplifiers. Any chance of this being rectified?

Last edited by Jake the Spike; 30-11-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake!
# 3
MSE Jenny
Old 30-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Senior Writer
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake the Spike View Post
I was testing the new-look Amazon Discount Finder and was disappointed to find no department for Musical Instruments (Amazon does have one) and/or Amplifiers. Any chance of this being rectified?
Hi Jake the Spike,

Thanks very much for your feedback - we've now added a musical instruments category.
# 4
thelawnet
Old 30-11-2011, 1:11 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hmm, it doesn't seem any better than the old one (i.e. it's of very little use at all).

I tried to find Kitchen items at 50% off or better:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/rh...high-price=max
I selected free delivery and here's the sort of thing I find:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Make-Ch.../dp/B003MVZ5H2

Cow-patterened balloon whisk, reduced from 4.99 to 4.83.
How is that 50% off? Oh, a marketplace seller has it for 16p + 4.59 shipping. Well that's not very useful is it?

The 90% DVD link is even worse:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Force-DVD-.../dp/B002LL169A

G-Force, 4.50, well that's not 90% off, I don't believe it costs 45.
32 new from 3.50? Nope, 35 is still far too much.
20 used from 1p? Ah, that's it. USED products. Not really great for Christmas presents is it.

Just seems like an excuse to spam MSE's affiliate link during peak shopping season without actually adding any value to me.

A better, more flexible, way to do this is directly through Amazon.

Here's how:

Go to Amazon, search for what you are looking for, e.g., 'tv'

Then, in the address bar at the top, you will see that it says something like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...rds=tv&x=0&y=0

If you then copy this:

&pct-off=50-99

after the address, and press enter or click go, it will filter to only show items that are reduced by 50% or more (obviously you can change the number 50 to any other discount you like).

Example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...&pct-off=50-99

This works anywhere, for example if you are just browsing the site and go to the 'Kitchen and Home' section, then click on 'Casseroles', paste
&pct-off=50-99

after the URL, it will filter by items supposedly reduced by 50% or more.

Unfortunately whichever way you look at it, the search doesn't work very well because there's no option to only look at Amazon's prices and disregard marketsellers, but that is the better way to do it.

The better way to find Amazon discounts is to click on the 'Amazing Offers' link from their homepage.
These items will be genuinely reduced.
The Following User Says Thank You to thelawnet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Camorra
Old 30-11-2011, 1:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up

Also, similar to the post above about Musical Instruments. Xmas is a time when people buy Watches as Xmas pressies, but I can't see this category in the Amazon Discount Finder. It has its own category on Amazon which goes beyond the general 'jewellery' category....

Please add it if possible....thanks....
# 6
JerryW
Old 30-11-2011, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I must say I have had a lot of trouble finding any genuine bargains with this tool, amongst all the useless dross.

Also, Amazon are becoming cunning, imho at risk to their good reputation. Example: they published a "Black Friday" "bargain" of a Chambers Dictionary + Chambers crossword dictionary bundle, reduced from 70 to 24.99. Only thing is, although the bundle has never been cheaper, the individual items are available for 20 + 10, so still cheap but not the huge saving it claims to have.. and they claimed the dictionary had a thumb-index but it turns out it does not.

There is no alternative really to actually wanting the item in question, and not finding it cheaper elsewhere - so the generalised "window shopping" approach of the bargains tool is of limited value and more likely to cost money than save it.
The Following User Says Thank You to JerryW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
MSE Jenny
Old 30-11-2011, 2:46 PM
Senior Writer
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camorra View Post
Also, similar to the post above about Musical Instruments. Xmas is a time when people buy Watches as Xmas pressies, but I can't see this category in the Amazon Discount Finder. It has its own category on Amazon which goes beyond the general 'jewellery' category....

Thanks, we've now added a watches category.
# 8
VoucherMan
Old 30-11-2011, 3:37 PM

Maybe just me but I don't see the point.

If I know what I want then I just enter the item into eBay, Amazon, Google or any other search engine. The item will be listed along with all the available prices, sorted by the cheapest first if I want, & I choose the one that I like. Usually the cheapest.

The only other use I can think of would be if, for example, I wanted to buy a Christmas present but couldn't think what to get.

To keep it simple I chose Toys & games prices between 10 & 20 (I know, I'm a tight a***. I spend too much time on this site) with the default 50-100% discount range.

The first item - a Wallace & Gromit game -RRP 29.99, Amazon price 22.70. A 24% saving??
I assume it's including the 10 for a second hand item in the search.

In fact, several of the items on the first page didn't even have an RRP, just a standard price.

But, before I dismiss it completely I'll give it another try

Electronics - Home cinema, TV & Video
200-500 with at least 50% discount....

The first item, a used TV- so hardly comparable against an RRP, which wasn't shown anyway.
In all 75% of the items on the first page were TV stands & hi-fi cabinets. Many did not show the RRP or discount.

You asked for Amazon buying tips.
Mine would be to ignore discounts. RRP's and therefore the discounts based on them are not, in my opinion, a reliable guide. Many things probably never get sold at the RRP in the first place.

Better to use the Amazon search tools to find what you're after, then use other search tools to see if it's cheaper elsewhere.

As for the see if it's ever been cheaper - many things have been cheaper in the past. Inflation and other factors have put the prices up. Now if you could tell us if & when prices were going to drop......

You haven't asked for overall opinions so I'll not give one.

But like I said - maybe it's just me. If others find it works for them then happy shopping.
# 9
winnoch
Old 04-12-2011, 11:58 AM
MoneySaving Convert

This also seems pointless to me. x% off WHAT anyway? Is it 50% off the last price it was? The list price, The RRP, the SRP the first time it was discounted? If am sceptical about x% off offers in supermarkets, I'm doubly so about Amazon discounts. As already noted above, it far easier to just search for the best prices online the normal way rather than this rigmarole. Plus I'm more than certain that Amazon will be onto this and using to their advantage somehow...
# 10
Bargainsniperuk
Old 06-12-2011, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoucherMan View Post

As for the see if it's ever been cheaper - many things have been cheaper in the past. Inflation and other factors have put the prices up. Now if you could tell us if & when prices were going to drop......
I had the same thoughts when using the Amazon Discount Finder, I liked the idea but wanted more, to be the first to find out when prices drop and see if I am really getting a good deal, so I decided to create a free to use website that checks Amazon products every hour to track prices and find real price reductions.

You can get notified when prices drop and also hopefully, by being able to view price tracking history, be able to estimate when prices are likely to drop for specific products.

This is the first attempt at the website so improvements are ongoing but suggestions can be made.

bargainsniper.co.uk

There is also a twitter feed:

@Bargainsniperuk
# 11
VoucherMan
Old 14-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Still being mentioned in the weekly email so I thought I'd look for a 75% bargain.

I found one
Agfaphoto Optima 104 Digital Camera

Reduced from 1147.99 to 192 - an 83% discount.

A quick search however found this elsewhere at 99.95

Sorry but I still think this has to be one of the worst ways to find a bargain.
The Following User Says Thank You to VoucherMan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
PimpYoda
Old 18-01-2012, 12:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Would it be possible to use the Amazon Discount Finder software on my own website. This is an incredible tool and would really help users find the best deals out there.
Thanks.
# 13
Amy77
Old 21-01-2012, 3:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camorra View Post

I would like to see it added also.
# 14
mariecc
Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default amazon link

amazon link doesn't work. did as told copied and pasted doesn't work...

Our Amazon Discount Finder manipulates Amazon web-links to create customised bargain basement pages. Just select the percent off the list price & the category you want, eg, TVs 30%+ off or DVDs 90%+ off.

We would love to hear any feedback on the answers it gives, any new categories you'd like added and other suggestions. It would also be fab if you could add any top Amazon discount links you find and other Amazon buying tips that we haven't included in the guide below the tool.

Thanks!

Jenny[/QUOTE]
# 15
Yei
Old 27-09-2012, 12:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Adquisitio for Amazon.co.uk

I use this all-in-one tool (price drops, price history charts, realtime price comparison, email alerts, discount finder, twitter, facebook, firefox...) that works with all Amazon international websites:

Adquisitio for Amazon.co.uk
Real-time Amazon.co.uk Bargains, Discounts & Deals finder

Not well known here but popular in Italy and Spain.

My favourite by far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yei For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
kookai9
Old 18-12-2012, 11:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I wouldnt bother ;takes too much time & Amazon have cancelled about 4 orders on me now .They just want you on the site so you might buy
# 17
silentjay
Old 14-03-2013, 12:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

A little bit of blowing my own horn but I've developed a Android app which does exactly the same as the tool on this site, it's called Amazon Discount Hound and you can download it from the Play store here
# 18
cybul
Old 30-10-2013, 2:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello, if you are interested I can tell you, how to get 1,5% cashback of any purchase you do on amazon.com.
It just take 5 min. Pay nothing for this. Just sand me an a short message on lcybulski11@gmail.com and I will sand you back an informatin, how to get your cashbeck.
# 19
Ivrytwr3
Old 30-10-2013, 3:32 PM

Thanked 9,175 Times in 2,959 Posts

cybul - spam
The Following User Says Thank You to Ivrytwr3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>