Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Local MoneySaving > N. Ireland > Can you still get a Back Boiler for an open fire? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can you still get a Back Boiler for an open fire?
Views: 32,722
# 1
Colin_Kee
Old 29-01-2007, 1:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Can you still get a Back Boiler for an open fire?

My parents live in a relativly old Bungalow which has a Boiler built into the open fire. When the fire is alight, it will also heat the water in the hot water tank which in turn can be used to heat other rooms in the house. Can you still get these boilers and if so does anyone know who might be able to Supply/Install them? Our house is under 10 years old and the Oil fired boiler is in a little extension of the Chimney breast so I can't see it being a massive job to tap into the pipework.

Many thanks.

Colin
Live, Love & Laugh A Lot!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
dan2002
Old 29-01-2007, 9:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hi I got a open fire back boiler installed last year so you can still get them ,we got ours from aerocrete on shore road around the whitewell area around the £300 I think but try them anyway ,ours will also heat up to 7 rads as well
# 3
makavelli
Old 30-01-2007, 10:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2002
hi I got a open fire back boiler installed last year so you can still get them ,we got ours from aerocrete on shore road around the whitewell area around the £300 I think but try them anyway ,ours will also heat up to 7 rads as well
Have been thinking about doing this as well, either back boiler or wood burning stove. Curious as to how much labour would cost though.
# 4
woofwoofwoof
Old 11-06-2008, 8:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but has anyone installed a back boiler recently? With the price of oil we were thinking of installing a back boiler off the fire in the living room - does it take up much space or does it fit into the side of the chimney breast - and if it does how do you get it serviced, do you have to leave a little door or something?
# 5
BOBS
Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Location: Most days it doesnt seem to be this planet at all .....

Hope someone can help on this .... with the price of oil we have been wondering if this is feasible..... our house is up 11 years and I think they had stopped putting in back boilers because of the oil heating
# 6
Colin_Kee
Old 12-06-2008, 1:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've been looking into this a bit more and from what I can gather, yes you can still get them (don't know where though over here in Norn Iron) but they are not very efficient less than 25% (apparently) so not very good if you are buying Coal or sticks!!
An alternative I've been looking at is to take out the fire grate, (And possibly do some modifications to the surround) and install a Stove type unit with integral water Boiler. They seem to be a lot more readily available and a lot more efficient. There can be some complications though as these systems are Vented and most modern oil & gas systems are pressurised I believe so they need some extra kit to make them compatible. Haven't got anything priced up just yet as still looking at my options.. with oil prices as they are and no sign of them lowering at the moment, I think it really is worth looking at all options...
Live, Love & Laugh A Lot!
# 7
blondeonblonde
Old 12-06-2008, 2:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

we had a back boiler put in a couple of years ago
used a local plumber cost about £1000 altogether as had to put in new fireplace as cast iron one broke/ was too small maybe?
be prepared for lots of mess as chimney brace wall has to be replastered/ floorboards lifted upstairs etc
thought it was awful at the time but am glad we did it now as hardly ever use oil and we used to light the fire anyway
# 8
gehngus
Old 03-03-2011, 5:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Just taken an open fire back boiler out

Hi.
I have just taken an old back boiler out of our open fire so that i could replace the whole lot with a log burner.

This one is made from copper (or some copper alloy) and plumbs straight into a direct vented cylinder.

It is a very simple setup and was just tucked behind the fire at the height of the grate. the front was flush with the pot thing that all fireplaces seem to have (don't know the name, but i see them at the builders yards)

I think there was enough room for air flow under, but if there was it was always blocked with ash.

The boiler gave us far too much hot water just for baths etc so i had to decide weather to link in rads (which meant changing the boiler to a vented indirect cylinder system) or to do the wife's preferred upgrade and a major rebuild to get this wood burner in.

I was wondering what to do with it so it seems i have another bit to go on ebay . just a case of getting around to it.
# 9
absoluteutopia
Old 03-03-2011, 8:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Scrap value is skyhigh, get it to the scrapyard and sell it
# 10
ballyblack
Old 04-03-2011, 8:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I don't think the installing a back boiler is worth the hassle and expense. Its very inefficient and will take the radiant heat out of the open fire in the room. I disconnected mine.
# 11
suki1964
Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballyblack View Post
I don't think the installing a back boiler is worth the hassle and expense. Its very inefficient and will take the radiant heat out of the open fire in the room. I disconnected mine.

And theres me that would give my right arm for a back boiler
if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

Norn iron no 314
# 12
prosaver
Old 13-03-2012, 8:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

hello everyone
does anyone know how much a back boiler cost to put in as well as wood burner?
beans
# 13
doyouwantfrieswiththat
Old 13-03-2012, 9:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

If you can, get the gas in, they will take all they tanks away including one in loft.
# 14
flipperNI
Old 13-03-2012, 10:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Bassetts plumbing, heating and bathroom merchants should have them. Not sure about the price but my sister bought one in a local small DIY store last week cost around £220, not fitted. Paid £50 mates rates to get it fitted, as they took the old boiler and her fireplace out themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to flipperNI For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
prosaver
Old 13-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipperNI View Post
Bassetts plumbing, heating and bathroom merchants should have them. Not sure about the price but my sister bought one in a local small DIY store last week cost around £220, not fitted. Paid £50 mates rates to get it fitted, as they took the old boiler and her fireplace out themselves.
that sounds good..but i need it connected to my old central heating system,
beans
# 16
flipperNI
Old 14-03-2012, 7:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosaver View Post
that sounds good..but i need it connected to my old central heating system,
Hers was connected to her heating system.

If i can remember right from when we done ours, its only two pipes to reconnect, if a boiler was in before, we disconnected ours when we got the oil in. With the price of oil being so high we decided to reconnect to the open fire. Not a big job. I dont remember how much it cost but i know it was not a lot.

Someone that knows more will be able to fill you in.
# 17
highrisklowreturn
Old 15-03-2012, 9:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Perhaps someone can advise me? I have oil CH but have a 6kw woodburner in now with option of a clip in boiler. I have 7 rads in house but would only use 2 at any one time. If I had the boiler installed would it be enough to heat those two rads and the water, as well as throw out heat into the room, without using a huge amount more fuel?
# 18
jessejazza
Old 27-06-2013, 9:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrisklowreturn View Post
Perhaps someone can advise me? I have oil CH but have a 6kw woodburner in now with option of a clip in boiler. I have 7 rads in house but would only use 2 at any one time. If I had the boiler installed would it be enough to heat those two rads and the water, as well as throw out heat into the room, without using a huge amount more fuel?
Bit late to reply as you are probably sorted now. I'm just going down a similar route. The clip in boiler will do you hot water but no more. If you want to do rads as well you really need a boiler stove (it has a wrap around boiler in the back of the stove). But they give out quite a lot of heat to the room. Quite a bit of plumbing needs to be considered though. I am considering a coal boiler as that will certainly do a good few radiators.
# 19
Sophie_779
Old 13-02-2014, 12:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Changing a open fire to log stove with back boiler

See this hasn't been used for a while but I'm hoping someone can give me abit of advise, I have an open fire with back boiler but I'm wanting to keep the back boiler and put a stove in the place of the open fire

Is this possible?
If so how much would it cost roughly?
# 20
warmhands.coldheart
Old 13-02-2014, 12:46 PM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie_779 View Post
See this hasn't been used for a while but I'm hoping someone can give me abit of advise, I have an open fire with back boiler but I'm wanting to keep the back boiler and put a stove in the place of the open fire

Is this possible?
If so how much would it cost roughly?
you can get stoves with integral "back boilers".

Tends to be the larger models though.... probably not worth it on the smaller ones