Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Colin_Kee
    Can you still get a Back Boiler for an open fire?
    • 29th Jan 07, 1:29 PM
    Can you still get a Back Boiler for an open fire? 29th Jan 07 at 1:29 PM
    My parents live in a relativly old Bungalow which has a Boiler built into the open fire. When the fire is alight, it will also heat the water in the hot water tank which in turn can be used to heat other rooms in the house. Can you still get these boilers and if so does anyone know who might be able to Supply/Install them? Our house is under 10 years old and the Oil fired boiler is in a little extension of the Chimney breast so I can't see it being a massive job to tap into the pipework.

Many thanks.

Colin
    Live, Love & Laugh A Lot!
Page 1
  • dan2002
    • 29th Jan 07, 9:00 PM
    • 29th Jan 07, 9:00 PM
    hi I got a open fire back boiler installed last year so you can still get them ,we got ours from aerocrete on shore road around the whitewell area around the £300 I think but try them anyway ,ours will also heat up to 7 rads as well
  • makavelli
    • 30th Jan 07, 10:32 PM
    • 30th Jan 07, 10:32 PM
    hi I got a open fire back boiler installed last year so you can still get them ,we got ours from aerocrete on shore road around the whitewell area around the £300 I think but try them anyway ,ours will also heat up to 7 rads as well
    by dan2002
    Have been thinking about doing this as well, either back boiler or wood burning stove. Curious as to how much labour would cost though.
    • woofwoofwoof
    • By woofwoofwoof 11th Jun 08, 8:58 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    woofwoofwoof
    • 11th Jun 08, 8:58 PM
    • 11th Jun 08, 8:58 PM
    I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but has anyone installed a back boiler recently? With the price of oil we were thinking of installing a back boiler off the fire in the living room - does it take up much space or does it fit into the side of the chimney breast - and if it does how do you get it serviced, do you have to leave a little door or something?
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 12th Jun 08, 12:41 PM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    BOBS
    • 12th Jun 08, 12:41 PM
    • 12th Jun 08, 12:41 PM
    Hope someone can help on this .... with the price of oil we have been wondering if this is feasible..... our house is up 11 years and I think they had stopped putting in back boilers because of the oil heating
  • Colin_Kee
    • 12th Jun 08, 1:24 PM
    • 12th Jun 08, 1:24 PM
    I've been looking into this a bit more and from what I can gather, yes you can still get them (don't know where though over here in Norn Iron) but they are not very efficient less than 25% (apparently) so not very good if you are buying Coal or sticks!!
    An alternative I've been looking at is to take out the fire grate, (And possibly do some modifications to the surround) and install a Stove type unit with integral water Boiler. They seem to be a lot more readily available and a lot more efficient. There can be some complications though as these systems are Vented and most modern oil & gas systems are pressurised I believe so they need some extra kit to make them compatible. Haven't got anything priced up just yet as still looking at my options.. with oil prices as they are and no sign of them lowering at the moment, I think it really is worth looking at all options...
    Live, Love & Laugh A Lot!
    • blondeonblonde
    • By blondeonblonde 12th Jun 08, 2:43 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    blondeonblonde
    • 12th Jun 08, 2:43 PM
    • 12th Jun 08, 2:43 PM
    we had a back boiler put in a couple of years ago
    used a local plumber cost about £1000 altogether as had to put in new fireplace as cast iron one broke/ was too small maybe?
    be prepared for lots of mess as chimney brace wall has to be replastered/ floorboards lifted upstairs etc
    thought it was awful at the time but am glad we did it now as hardly ever use oil and we used to light the fire anyway
  • gehngus
    • 3rd Mar 11, 5:33 PM
    Just taken an open fire back boiler out
    • 3rd Mar 11, 5:33 PM
    Hi.
    I have just taken an old back boiler out of our open fire so that i could replace the whole lot with a log burner.

This one is made from copper (or some copper alloy) and plumbs straight into a direct vented cylinder.

It is a very simple setup and was just tucked behind the fire at the height of the grate. the front was flush with the pot thing that all fireplaces seem to have (don't know the name, but i see them at the builders yards)

I think there was enough room for air flow under, but if there was it was always blocked with ash.

The boiler gave us far too much hot water just for baths etc so i had to decide weather to link in rads (which meant changing the boiler to a vented indirect cylinder system) or to do the wife's preferred upgrade and a major rebuild to get this wood burner in.

I was wondering what to do with it so it seems i have another bit to go on ebay . just a case of getting around to it.
  • absoluteutopia
    • 3rd Mar 11, 8:56 PM
    • 3rd Mar 11, 8:56 PM
    Scrap value is skyhigh, get it to the scrapyard and sell it
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 4th Mar 11, 8:44 AM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 1,391 Thanks
    ballyblack
    I don't think the installing a back boiler is worth the hassle and expense. Its very inefficient and will take the radiant heat out of the open fire in the room. I disconnected mine.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Mar 11, 10:31 PM
    • 8,682 Posts
    • 18,117 Thanks
    suki1964
    I don't think the installing a back boiler is worth the hassle and expense. Its very inefficient and will take the radiant heat out of the open fire in the room. I disconnected mine.
    Originally posted by ballyblack

And theres me that would give my right arm for a back boiler
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

No longer hitting the thanks button so I can't be accused of being in a clique

NOT BUYING IT!!

Norn iron no 314
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 13th Mar 12, 8:07 PM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 3,091 Thanks
    prosaver
    hello everyone
    does anyone know how much a back boiler cost to put in as well as wood burner?
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britainís sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people heís paid to represent.
  • doyouwantfrieswiththat
    If you can, get the gas in, they will take all they tanks away including one in loft.
  • flipperNI
    Bassetts plumbing, heating and bathroom merchants should have them. Not sure about the price but my sister bought one in a local small DIY store last week cost around £220, not fitted. Paid £50 mates rates to get it fitted, as they took the old boiler and her fireplace out themselves.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 13th Mar 12, 10:40 PM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 3,091 Thanks
    prosaver
    Bassetts plumbing, heating and bathroom merchants should have them. Not sure about the price but my sister bought one in a local small DIY store last week cost around £220, not fitted. Paid £50 mates rates to get it fitted, as they took the old boiler and her fireplace out themselves.
    Originally posted by flipperNI
    that sounds good..but i need it connected to my old central heating system,
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britainís sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people heís paid to represent.
  • flipperNI
    that sounds good..but i need it connected to my old central heating system,
    Originally posted by prosaver
    Hers was connected to her heating system.

If i can remember right from when we done ours, its only two pipes to reconnect, if a boiler was in before, we disconnected ours when we got the oil in. With the price of oil being so high we decided to reconnect to the open fire. Not a big job. I dont remember how much it cost but i know it was not a lot.

Someone that knows more will be able to fill you in.
  • highrisklowreturn
    Perhaps someone can advise me? I have oil CH but have a 6kw woodburner in now with option of a clip in boiler. I have 7 rads in house but would only use 2 at any one time. If I had the boiler installed would it be enough to heat those two rads and the water, as well as throw out heat into the room, without using a huge amount more fuel?
  • jessejazza
    Perhaps someone can advise me? I have oil CH but have a 6kw woodburner in now with option of a clip in boiler. I have 7 rads in house but would only use 2 at any one time. If I had the boiler installed would it be enough to heat those two rads and the water, as well as throw out heat into the room, without using a huge amount more fuel?
    Originally posted by highrisklowreturn
    Bit late to reply as you are probably sorted now. I'm just going down a similar route. The clip in boiler will do you hot water but no more. If you want to do rads as well you really need a boiler stove (it has a wrap around boiler in the back of the stove). But they give out quite a lot of heat to the room. Quite a bit of plumbing needs to be considered though. I am considering a coal boiler as that will certainly do a good few radiators.
  • Sophie_779
    Changing a open fire to log stove with back boiler
    See this hasn't been used for a while but I'm hoping someone can give me abit of advise, I have an open fire with back boiler but I'm wanting to keep the back boiler and put a stove in the place of the open fire

Is this possible?
    If so how much would it cost roughly?
    • warmhands.coldheart
    • By warmhands.coldheart 13th Feb 14, 12:46 PM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 3,824 Thanks
    warmhands.coldheart
    See this hasn't been used for a while but I'm hoping someone can give me abit of advise, I have an open fire with back boiler but I'm wanting to keep the back boiler and put a stove in the place of the open fire

Is this possible?
    If so how much would it cost roughly?
    Originally posted by Sophie_779
    you can get stoves with integral "back boilers".

Tends to be the larger models though.... probably not worth it on the smaller ones
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

348Posts Today

1,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick goodbye (for now)... https://t.co/00uuzdpqAv

• Still fighting - hoping for chinks in the armour as there's a new administration https://t.co/XMYOGshhI0

• About to speak to talented teens from underprivileged backgrounds re student finance. Far more difficult to be +ve after retrospective hikes

• Follow Martin