mysterious CCJ on file, declined mortgage, sad :(

Options
Hi people,

I have been saving for two years and and have put a accepted offer on a house which is well within my means, less than 3* my salary inc all outgoings and a good deposit if 20%.

I have tried so hard to manage my finances and everything. Before I applied for a mortgage I checked my Experian report and it was excellent.

However I was declined, I checked my Equifax report and there is a CCJ on 19/01/2011, this is strange as the address is showing my old house, I moved in 01/2010 to the property I am in now. I remember when I moved I phoned up all utility and council places to ensure nothing was left.

What should I do? Can this be disputed? If I accidentally failed to tell a company I moved house will I be liable and have to have this CCJ?

Anyhelp would be great!

Comments

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    If I accidentally failed to tell a company I moved house will I be liable and have to have this CCJ?
    Yes.

Find out what it is and take it from there.

If you did owe money, get the CCJ satisfied. It will still show on your credit file, but "satisfied" looks marginally better than not.
  • funkyorange
    Options
    That really sucks! I am going to ring up the courts tomorrow.

Out of interest will I be able to find mortgages with a CCJ?

Or is it possible to contact the prospective lender for my mortgage with a explanation and about this CCJ and pay it in full, or is there no point in wasting my time?!
  • GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,388 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How much was the CCJ for?

Pay the debt anyway, it will help you going forward. Contact the court for details of the judgement.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Let us know how you get on, it may help other MSErs.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    Complain to Experian. Ask how they missed a CCJ ?
    I bet the CCJ was for a mobile phone bill or a recurring insurance contract.
    J_B.
  • funkyorange
    Options
    The debt is for only £157.

Assuming the large costs and fees encored by bailiffs, I would assume the original amount to be 20 quid!

I will update this thread tomorrow by which time I should have settled the CCJ and know where the hell its from!!

Thanks for the help people.
  • funkyorange
    Options
    Thanks for the help, I could complain to Experian but that would mean I they will add the nasty CCJ to thier credit report, surly this will be going against the grain of what I need to achieve?
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you had been absent from that adress for 12 months is it possible that the new people at the address have taken out credit in your name? I understand it happens often, First things first though is to finds out who its with.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • HeavyHorse
    Options
    That really sucks! I am going to ring up the courts tomorrow.

Out of interest will I be able to find mortgages with a CCJ?

Or is it possible to contact the prospective lender for my mortgage with a explanation and about this CCJ and pay it in full, or is there no point in wasting my time?!

You will be able to get a mortgage, I have a CCJ-Satisfied £297.

The mortgage I have is a 80% LTV with the Halifax. Make sure you tell them prior to your application though.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you redirect your mail for 12 months and send letters to everyone giving your new address ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure