Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Pan
    What are Essential Outgoings?
    • 19th Jan 07, 11:38 PM
    What are Essential Outgoings? 19th Jan 07 at 11:38 PM
    Have had a look at the CCCS website and am getting a call for the SOA next week.

Am a bit confused as I've been told that things like newspapers, fags, Sky TV etc cannot be included as essential outgoings. It also appears that you are quite limited with the amount you can claim for phones etc i.e I have a landline, a broadband account and a mobile and this adds up to 80 pm. Our dog also has an ongoing medical condition which costs at least 50 pm but it appears you cannot spend this much....looks like the pooch will have to be put to sleep

only joking....but seriously, can someone explain what CCCS will actually allow to be included.
Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 19th Jan 07, 11:48 PM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 6,505 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 19th Jan 07, 11:48 PM
    • 19th Jan 07, 11:48 PM
    Someone else will have to comment on CCCS but these are some maximums from Payplan (£ per month):
    Elec 60
    Gas 40
    Phone 40
    Road tax & MOT 18 per car (need to justify more than one car)
    car maintenance 30
    breakdown cover 8
    food & housekeeping: 190 single; 320 couple; 80 kid under 14; 100 kid over 14
    pets 25
    dentist 5
    optician 15
    hair 5
    clothes 20
    school meals 25
    nappies & baby items 30
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 19th Jan 07, 11:50 PM
    • 24,932 Posts
    • 44,866 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 19th Jan 07, 11:50 PM
    • 19th Jan 07, 11:50 PM
    No experience in this, but I would consider essential outgoings to be rent/mortgage, council tax, heating, lighting, water, food and groceries and a cheap car with cheap running costs if you need it to get to work.

Whether CCCS see it differently I don't know but I'm sure someone will be along soon who does.
    I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
  • southernscouser
    • 19th Jan 07, 11:59 PM
    • 19th Jan 07, 11:59 PM
    I can't tell you what their guidelines are but they are there to help you. So lets say you don't have a car for example. They will put your car costs down as 50 a month so that you can legislate (for a better word) the medicine your dog needs.

Thats how I've been led to believe it works so don't worry. The pooch can stay!
  • Pan
    • 20th Jan 07, 12:00 AM
    • 20th Jan 07, 12:00 AM
    Someone else will have to comment on CCCS but these are some maximums from Payplan ( per month):
    Elec 60
    Gas 40
    Phone 40
    Road tax & MOT 18 per car (need to justify more than one car)
    car maintenance 30
    breakdown cover 8
    pets 25
    dentist 5
    optician 15
    hair 5
    clothes 20
    school meals 25
    nappies & baby items 30
    by fatbelly
    What about commuting costs. I pay 60 on bus and train fares to work. I do not own a car. I see you don't list anything for fags! It is on the CCCS list and I saw this as a way of making up a shortfall on the pet stuff as I don't smoke. Surprised that CCCS could include this.
  • looby75
    • 20th Jan 07, 12:32 AM
    • 20th Jan 07, 12:32 AM
    I found the cccs allowances very generous, I actually reduced some of what they allowed as I don't spend anywhere near as much on certain things as they suggested was the average.

if you post a SOA we maybe able to give you more advice on how you can same money in some places to spend in others

• anniecave
    • 20th Jan 07, 12:34 AM
    • 20th Jan 07, 12:34 AM

I don't understand those figures. If I am a single person what would the £190 be for ?

And if my property has no gas then surely the gas and elec would be added together for elec ?
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
  • anniecave
    • 20th Jan 07, 12:47 AM
    • 20th Jan 07, 12:47 AM
    I guess it all depends on your family circumstances. I certainly don't have or need broadband. I hardly spend anything on my mobile. I don't want Sky. I don't smoke. The dog I would have more sympathy for, but £50 per month is a lot....

Seriously though, can you cut back on some of these things?
  • Oldernotwiser
    • 20th Jan 07, 1:54 PM
    • 20th Jan 07, 1:54 PM

I don't understand those figures. If I am a single person what would the 190 be for ?

And if my property has no gas then surely the gas and elec would be added together for elec ?
    by anniecave
    Food, toiletries, cleaning materials, laundry. Anything else?
    • lennymfo
    • By lennymfo 20th Jan 07, 4:11 PM
    • 11,859 Posts
    • 10,675 Thanks
    lennymfo
    They are called trigger figures. Look at this link:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=320977&highlight=trigger+figures

Lenny
    • mizmir
    • By mizmir 20th Jan 07, 7:09 PM
    • 3,632 Posts
    • 7,508 Thanks
    mizmir
    The dog I would have more sympathy for, but 50 per month is a lot....
    by anniecave
    It is a lot but vet meds are expensive - even common ones. It is not difficult to spend 50 a month... my old dog died last week but she had medication for thyroid and for arthritis - two medications each about 50 every 6 weeks! You can get them cheaper via the web - but need a prescription. I was going to do that this month but won't have to now .

But on the allowable budgets - the amount for groceries allowed is huge - so surely that could offset the dog?

Starting debt: 59813 Debt now: 0 Debt free on 28/10/2014 but house sold....

So saving for new house:
    Goal for 2014: 13K ~ Current total: 11K
    Goal by 2023: 250K (4.4% achieved )
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 20th Jan 07, 9:13 PM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 6,505 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I don't understand those figures. If I am a single person what would the 190 be for ?
    by anniecave
    Food and housekeeping (cleaning, toiletries, newspapers, laundry, fags, booze)for a month - means that you don't have to itemise things separately.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 20th Jan 07, 9:18 PM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 6,505 Thanks
    fatbelly
    But on the allowable budgets - the amount for groceries allowed is huge - so surely that could offset the dog?
    by mizmir
    Yes it could. That's what a lot of people do.

Remember those figures are for food and housekeeping (cleaning, toiletries, newspapers, laundry, fags, booze) - covers more than just groceries. Trust me, if you smoke, that allowance doesn't look huge!
  • anniecave
    so the £190 is a catchall for everything that wouldn't be covered elsewhere?

My apologies for implying that £50 per month was a lot for a pet, I would agree that keeping pets can be expensive.

I guess if you work out what you do spend per month and what categories the items would come in and take it from there.

Would petrol for a car or travel to work costs also come into this category then?
  • sarzit
    CCCS allowances
    I have been on a debt management plan with CCCS for nearly 2 years, and have found them extremely helpful.

In coming up with your initial management plan, they will take you through a whole list of items, and you can talk through with them what to allocate against what. To my surprise they ask you about if you have daily newspapers and magazines etc, allocate amounts towards haircuts, dentist, prescriptions, glasses, hobbies and leisure, pets, shoes and clothes...all sorts of things.

I have found that my monthly outgoings on hobbies and leisure have recently increased due to my childrens' clubs - dance, drums, basketball etc and a residential school trip that needs monthly payment. It took me over their recommended amount for leisure, so we played around with some of the other figures so that the end result of the expenditure stayed the same, but it was allocated in different categories. CCCS are there to help you, so it's best to be completely honest with how much you spend on EVERYTHING, as they have the know how as to what is acceptable to your creditors.
    My parents call me Angel, but I've been a devil with money...

approx 46,000 unsecured debt from credit cards and a consolidation loan (Hubby and myself) . Now on a debt management plan and it's a relief to be sensible again.
  • belfast
    I think the 40 a month maximum gas allowance is a joke. Gas has went up here by 150% since last year. It would cost about 40 per week to heat my house.

Sadly I can't afford that and now I am freezing with this cold snap.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 25th Jan 07, 12:14 AM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 6,505 Thanks
    fatbelly
    It seems a bit tight to me too. My guess is that creditors would not object to £50 or 60 per month - but try £40 per week and they'd probably suggest you had something wrong with your insulation.
  • belfast
    The ironic thing is that I worked for the Energy Savings Trust and know how to save money by insulation and by turning down thermosat etc etc and my house is still freezing

I think i'll just keep shivering untill summer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,767Posts Today

7,764Users online

Martin's Twitter