Juice Detox

Options
Good Afternoonn,

As a kick start to my (fingers crossed) last ever diet / get fit and healthy kick (this time I am going to do it!!) I decided to start with Jason Vales 3 day Juice Detox.

I read lots of good things about it, how it gave you energy, could lose 5lbs etc...and after getting my juicer a few weeks ago I figured they were quite filling and I could cope with it.

But.......... nothing I read said what to do when if you were starving!!!!

Which I am, in fact I am so hungry it hurts :eek:

It didnt help I got up really early so had the breakfast juice at around 6.30 but if I have the juice I am supposed to have for lunch now I am worried that I wont last until "dinner-time"

Nothing I read says anything about this, in fact people seems to just sail along with it. Is it in my head? jugdging by the rumbling its not.

Can I add extra fruit or veg as a snack?

I have spend a small fortune on the F&V for this weekend I dont want to have a blip (and certainly not so soon in!!)

Any tips or advice?

Thanks
YDSM
I wish I would take my own advice!

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    No fad diet will ever be your 'last'.

'Detox' diets/pills/regimes/ are probably the biggest con in the whole of the diet industry which is based on bad science and outright cons!

We have kidneys and a liver that quie adequately 'detox' the body 24/7. If you want to help them out then drink a little more water - and water straight from the tap will be fine.

To lose weight and get healthy, all we need to do is put slightly less calories into the body than we burn up.

But the problem is to do that consistantly!

Now - I am NOT Mr Slim here! I weigh 15stn. But, I generally ride 50+ miles a week on a bike, sometimes 100+ if I'm training for a distance event where I frequently do 100+ml day rides.

I have often tried losing a bit of weight, but fail, simply because I like food a bit too much!

But I have learnt over the years, painful as it is, there are no quick fixes. There never have been, and there never will be.

To lose weight forever, you have to change lifestyle completely. And that is incredibly difficult.

Buying a certain bit of equipment, or a DVD, or a kitchen appliance, or a pair of trainers, simply will not do it!

I have decided to be happy looking more like a rugby player than the racing-snake cyclist I'd really love to be! When spring comes, and I train for events, I drop about a stone and I go up hills better. During the winter, I ride to work and back the long way as often as I can, but weight goes on!

In short, be sensible with what you eat. Drink water. Use your veg to make soups - they make excellent lunches for people trying to cut down. Eat the fruit (But not all at once - it is NOT zero calories!) And up your exercise a bit.

It's not flashy, trendy or what any previously fat 'celeb' is trying to sell you as the way 'they did it'! But it is the only way that has a chance of working.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2011 at 3:35PM
    Options
    No harm in it for a couple of days and is helpful in breaking junk carb cravings and cleansing and refreshing the palate! I would just make myself some more juice. Why suffer further? Won't make much different to weight loss, especially if you are consuming veg juices as well as fruit.

Presume you are having a lazy weekend while you are on this plan? The trouble is when you have a lazy weekend, there is not much else to do but think about your stomach!

Have you got some lightweight tasks you can distract yourself with? Sorting out paperwork, something creative, long soak in the bath and a pamper?
  • londoner1998
    londoner1998 Posts: 800 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2011 at 7:11PM
    Options
    Good Afternoonn,

As a kick start to my (fingers crossed) last ever diet / get fit and healthy kick (this time I am going to do it!!) I decided to start with Jason Vales 3 day Juice Detox.

I read lots of good things about it, how it gave you energy, could lose 5lbs etc...and after getting my juicer a few weeks ago I figured they were quite filling and I could cope with it.

But.......... nothing I read said what to do when if you were starving!!!!

Which I am, in fact I am so hungry it hurts :eek:

It didnt help I got up really early so had the breakfast juice at around 6.30 but if I have the juice I am supposed to have for lunch now I am worried that I wont last until "dinner-time"

Nothing I read says anything about this, in fact people seems to just sail along with it. Is it in my head? jugdging by the rumbling its not.

Can I add extra fruit or veg as a snack?

I have spend a small fortune on the F&V for this weekend I dont want to have a blip (and certainly not so soon in!!)

Any tips or advice?

Thanks
    YDSM

Hello

I did my first juice fasting last year at the beginning of September and my advice is: you need to find yourself a good book on this because it is not as simple as it seems. To begin with, 3 days is just not enough: you need to prepare the body before and after. That would make it five o six That is the most important thing to remember. I did the baby one, three days with a day and a half in and out (for preparation and for breaking the fast).
    If you body is to benefit from the juices, you need your digestive system to be empty, and this takes a bit of time. You need to start by eating some steamed veg, fish and fruits and then wind down until you start the proper fast. In my case, I went for a mixed one, with vegetable stock and juices (both made at home) because my system works better with warm stuff and also it was my first. Some people choose a very clean and light diet, if not having solids is too much for you. May be this can be a first choice, before a full fasting? But if you are doing juices, no eating is allowed- that will not help you at all, you will only get hungrier.

What you do but having only fluids is essentially to 'switch off' your digestive system. Then, if you feel light-headed or floppy, get a juice. The sugar in the juice will help you stay on. But do beware: you do need to do this when you have no responsibilities, no regular work scheduled (preferably) and can afford to be with yourself, may be reading, listening to music , going for a walk, etc... I found the second day the hardest and I was in bed very early, quite lightheaded after having a bit of a headache (toxins being released). But I don't drink, rarely eat meat and practice yoga regularly for years now, it might be harder on people with different habits. Then to break the fast, I followed the advice of introducing food very slowly: first fruits, then steamed vegetables, etc... keeping the fluid intake up and taking your time. I slept fantastically and found I had a lot of energy afterwards. I didn't have the huger problem, that went very quickly, but it was the psychological factor of 'it is time to eat, what do I do instead?'. It gives you a lot of time to reflect so you might find issues that worry or anger you come up. You might find you are bored and think eating will pass the time. The mind knows all the tricks and when you remove food, you have time and space to seem them in action, just have another glass of juice, or stock or water if that happens. You also need a supportive and quiet environment: people stuffing themselves in front of you will not help.
    By the way, the weight loss is a by-product, but I wouldn't recommend fasting as a quick fix. Your skin will be brighter, your senses sharper and you will feel lighter and more energised if you do it right. But I agree with Toothsmith that you should change your habits if what you want is to lose weight.

I would say go for it, but get yourself informed first: I got a really nice book on fasting in a visit home and I know a nutritionist who advised me (there is a long tradition of Naturism in the Basque Country and a lot of people do this seasonally) and that really helped to do it properly.

Let us know how you get on.
  • Youdontseeme
    Options
    Sorry I didn't come back to this sooner but I fainted with hunger - ok so I didn't, I just kept myself as busy as possible to avoid thinking about food. (Every program on tv over the weekend seemed to involve food!!) even sitting on the internet made my tummy rumble.

After I stopped thinking about it so much it wasnt too bad, but I couldnt keep it up today I woke up about 5.30 (after the best nights sleep in ages:D) starving. Had a juice which filled me up for a while but by the time I got to work I just needed to chew something, so had a banana, am feeling ok right now got a smoothie for lunch which I have found to be more filling than the juices.

I dont think I will be able to last until tomorrow though, I feel like my teeth are forgetting what they are there for!

I do know fad diets dont work, as I have tried most of them :o

It was more a case of starting a fresh, without any caffine, chemicals and all that other crap (although I admit I would have a much stronger argument here if I had managed not to smoke too - that was a mega fail!!)

I do feel rather perky for a Monday morning so maybe there is something in it or it could just be a placibo effect but heck, if its working who cares!

There is a 7 day juice detox how the hell people do that is beyond me, then again if I had that kind of will power I wouldnt need to be doing this to diet in the first place!

YDSM
    I wish I would take my own advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family