Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Rabbit
    • By Rabbit 12th Jan 07, 10:32 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Rabbit
    • 12th Jan 07, 10:32 PM
    • 12th Jan 07, 10:32 PM
    I always use tinned stuff within 2 days of opening and putting in the fridge. I got this idea from the baked beans tin recommendation. I suppose it might be ok for longer but I have normally eaten it by then.

HTH
    A penny saved is one you don't have to earn!
    • prettypennies
    • By prettypennies 12th Jan 07, 11:21 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 10,175 Thanks
    prettypennies
    • 12th Jan 07, 11:21 PM
    • 12th Jan 07, 11:21 PM
    I have kept tuna in a sealed container in the fridge for around 5 days before without a problem. I usually rely on my nose.
    The onion may taint the fish though so probably good for 2 days I would guess.
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!
    • iceicebaby
    • By iceicebaby 13th Jan 07, 12:04 AM
    • 3,382 Posts
    • 5,781 Thanks
    iceicebaby
    • 13th Jan 07, 12:04 AM
    • 13th Jan 07, 12:04 AM
    Id say 2 or 3 days, again sniff it if it smells ok it probably is.
    Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com!
    • want2bmortgage3
    • By want2bmortgage3 28th Jan 09, 8:19 PM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    want2bmortgage3
    • 28th Jan 09, 8:19 PM
    canned tuna - how long can u keep once opened?
    • 28th Jan 09, 8:19 PM
    being a single person i often only need half a tin of something, i know i can keep things like baked beans covered in the fridge for a day or two but unsure about tuna? anyone know?

also talking about tuna, i see sainsburys have really cheap value cans of it now, what is the difference between that and the standard tuna chunks?
  • rach
    • 28th Jan 09, 8:23 PM
    • 28th Jan 09, 8:23 PM
    I'd keep tuna a couple of days, don't leave in the tin though, put into a dish and cover. the sniff test is usually the way to tell!

the value cans are usually tuna flakes rather than steak or chunks. I know my mum feeds her cat with them as they're cheaper than cat food, but i am sure they are fine for eating too!

when i was on my own I used to buy the Sainsburys 3 packs of mini tuna tins, then it was just enough for one portion. they used to be 99p, think a little more now, so actually work out quite reasonable (i found i'd end up chucking half the other tins out!)
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 28th Jan 09, 8:28 PM
    • 8,369 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965
    • 28th Jan 09, 8:28 PM
    • 28th Jan 09, 8:28 PM
    I must be really greedy then, as I eat the whole tin!
  • onetomany
    • 28th Jan 09, 8:32 PM
    my freind eats value tuna and she says its fine, yea dont keep anything in a tin in the freidge
    • want2bmortgage3
    • By want2bmortgage3 28th Jan 09, 8:32 PM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    want2bmortgage3
    well to be honest i could probably have eaten the whole tin, as i still feel a bit hungry. with baked beans i usually have the whole tin to myself. thanks for the info about storing in another container ive heard about the problem leaving food in tins.
  • domesticgoddess789
    Open can of tuna- how long will it keep?
    Hi I opened a can of tuna on wednesday night and only used a third of it. The remainder is in the fridge in a tupperware box but I don't need it until sunday. do you think it will keep until then?

How long would you keep it for before binning it?

Hayley
    • N9eav
    • By N9eav 6th Feb 09, 6:45 AM
    • 4,611 Posts
    • 26,353 Thanks
    N9eav
    If it's in a tupperware in the fridge it should be fine.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 6th Feb 09, 8:15 AM
    • 17,101 Posts
    • 132,744 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Hi I opened a can of tuna on wednesday night and only used a third of it. The remainder is in the fridge in a tupperware box but I don't need it until sunday. do you think it will keep until then?

How long would you keep it for before binning it?

Hayley
    Originally posted by pinkhayley789
    You'll have had it open for 4 days :confused: I wouldn't take the risk with tinned fish - if I'm not using it within 24 hours, I freeze it for later.

I'll add this to the existing thread so that you can get more opinions.

Penny. x
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 2nd Sep 09, 6:39 PM
    • 9,154 Posts
    • 17,136 Thanks
    zippychick
    PP, so if I have had some since Sunday, would i be better to bin it? I have managed to forget about it until today. It is in a lock and lock, airtight.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• tandraig
    for tuna on its own in airtight container should be ok for 5 days - but smell it to check.
    I find if i mix tuna with mayo (i like to add sweetcorn or onion to the mix) then i find that it smells funny after a couple of days and the mayo separates out after the first day - but thats ok you can alwys stir it in again.
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    I would use it within 2 days myself. I think value Tuna is the pits, all slimey and mushy. Only suitable for cats imo. I would rather have it less often. But I prefer herrings anyway.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde
    • mal4mac
    • By mal4mac 16th Jan 11, 1:26 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    mal4mac
    Sainsbury's Basics Tuna
    I'm eating my way through a can of Sainsbury's Basics tuna (with Sweetcord and Mayo) and very tasty it is too! It's as good as any other tinned tuna I've bought. It's chunky & steaky and isn't like the flaky & slimey brands you mention. I'm on my third day so I think I'll have what remains with chips tonight - don't throw it away! - it's good enough to eat all day...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,098Posts Today

6,098Users online

Martin's Twitter