IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Anyone work for Yodel?
Views: 46,272
# 1
cr1mson
Old 27-08-2011, 3:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Anyone work for Yodel?

Saw an advert and thought might be something I could fit round kids? Got a call back asking me to phone their recruitment line on 0871 number. Not keen on 0871 numbers.

Before I phone anyone work for them now or recently?

Thanks in advance.

Crimson
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
kirstycobie
Old 29-08-2011, 10:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hi,

ive recently left yodel in may of this year.

personaly I wouldnt work for them again for the following reasons:

-Petrol prices doesnt really make it that worth while
-you HAVE to be in 5 mornings a week mon-fri to get the parcles in, which can be from anytime from 7am-2pm!
-you get paid 65p per parcle delivered (even if you have to go back to try and catch the customer in you only get paid for signature)
-If a parcle goes missing they are straight on the phone asking who it was delivered to and what they look like.
-your car totaly gets a hard life - stopping and starting every two mins isnt going to do the car any good.
-they do catoulog delivery 4 times a year nd you expected to deliver about 800+ in the space of two weeks, bearing in mind these are BIG ones so you can only have so many in car at a time.

so personally i wouldnt do it again but thats up to you.

every fortnight i was getting paid about 70, minus the petrol expense that you have to cover yourself 20pw = 40, so realistically for two weeks work i was earning 30! minus the wear and tear of my car and customers ringing you at stupid o'clock demanding you deliver their parcle NOW!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirstycobie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
chanz4
Old 25-09-2011, 5:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My wife used to deliver 20-30 parcels a day, and used to collect from the depot solving the waiting in problem. its 65p a parcel and catalogues are 40p, once a year they are big ones and the rest are small. The last batch which we had 500 was 200 and didnt take long at all as you have 2 weeks todo. If you are focused its very easy todo.
# 4
merlin68
Old 26-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We do work for Hermes and Yodel and found them both to be fine. I think it depends what area you cover. Don't forget you can claim petrol and car costs back of the tax bill. We get 1 a parcel and anywhere up to 80 a day, so it's worth doing for us. We just done 400 catalogues and got 206. got another lot now.
# 5
sidthesexist
Old 26-09-2011, 12:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Another thing that needs to be remembered is that you should also have a haulage/courier insurance policy for your car or you are breaking the law. You should also have goods in transit insurance. These alone would make it uneconomic?
# 6
merlin68
Old 26-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My insurance wasn't that high 553 for the year with courier cover.com. You don't need goods in transit insurance these are covered by the company.
# 7
elliff
Old 29-09-2011, 12:09 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

My mum does this -

The big problem with them is the pay, they simply do not pay enough to earn a living.

They are trying to force the price per parcel down even further (some are as low as 40p a parcel - and thats not the catalogues!), the price of petrol means that this is simply not viable. Also, as stated you are expected to attempt delivery twice and then return undelivered parcels - you do not get paid if it is not delivered no matter how many times you have tried (and each attempt costs you in petrol).

My mum does it simply because she enjoys the work, but she works for well below the minimum wage and has the hassle of being self-employed (no employment rights, no sick/holiday pay and having to submit tax returns)

The plus points are you can fit the work around your life, so if you are at home every weekday morning and have a spare hour or two in the afternoon it fits nicely.

The downside is without doubt the pay (or lack thereof!), in my opinion you cannot earn a living doing it. However if you are just looking for something to get you out of the house or for "pin money" then this might suit
The Following User Says Thank You to elliff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
jarv0102
Old 25-11-2011, 6:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Working for Yodel

Im looking at the self employment side of yodel Ive been told you have to work every day is that just mon- sat, also I have my kids to look after in the half term do they take this into consideration can you take that time off?, What is the price per parcel or does it vary per location. Is there a certain amount of hours you have to work.

Could anybody give me any views on this question as it will determine whether i go ahead and work or not, I had thought about doing the delivery in the evening but dont know what time you can deliver upto.

Does anyone out there have any answers please, I have a call back from yodel next wk, so replies before then would be handy
# 9
merlin68
Old 26-11-2011, 5:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We've done better than we expected the first month we done 2-3 days a week and earnt 660 and last month we done 3 whole weeks and got 1100, but we spend about 50 a week on fuel. His now got his own round so should be even better. We get 85p on one and 1.05 on another. We easily get 50-100 parcels a day. We have to work mon-sat.
I think your better working for Hermes as the parcel volumes are higher one poor guy got 170 the other day and another got 210.
# 10
merlin68
Old 26-11-2011, 5:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You can't deliver in the evening only as lots of parcels have a time band, you can deliver up till 8.00 though. you can take the kids with you in the car, lots of people do. But unless you have a small round, you won't fit them in.
# 11
Levster
Old 27-10-2012, 1:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I am thinking of working for a company like Yodel so I'm happy to find this thread. Would it be possible to work for them Mon-Fri, 9-5? And if so could I make the same as working the same hours for minimum wage? Also, do you have to pick up the parcels or do they get delivered to you first?

Thanks guys
# 12
oasis1979
Old 11-12-2012, 6:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

just had a call from them. I've not called them back yet

any more advice folks?
# 13
mattcanary
Old 13-12-2012, 7:32 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I am a self-employed worker, delivering parcels for Hermes (Yodel's biggest competitor)

At this time of the year it can get very manic and you need a half-decent sized car (or van) to fit the parcels in unless you want to do return trips paying out for the extra fuel.
I'm only helping out on various rounds at the moment - don;t have my own round
Some of the bigger rounds are regularly getting 150-200 parcels a day at the moment.

Pay is not great. 50p per parcel for me. But do get some bonuses each month on top of the basic parcel rate (eg: for delivering on a set day or part of the day, getting a signature, etc) - if the customer specifies such delivery options . This can make a substantial difference to the monthly pay.

If you have your own round, it can be very difficult to get days off. Apparently, some managers expect you to find your own cover when you have time off. I think it all depends on how helpful your manager is - the one at our depot is normally quite good. Some apparently can be right dragons!
I do it because I enjoy driving and being out and about. And of coursae, it is not particularly easy to find work at the moment!

Oh, and you may well be required to deliver parcels at certain times in the day, eg: am, pm, middle of the day (1000am-2.00pm). This may be more of a Hermes thing though - and we only have to meet these delivery-times on some of our Next deliveries. Indeed if you have a rural round, you don;t have any timed deliveries - although of course the fuel expenses are then higher!