Heating a hot tub by Solar PV? (in a smart way)

Options
OK, I realise my "green" credentials are about to get blown apart, but we have inherited a hot tub, and given how nice the weather is, it seems a shame not to use it... ;)

What I would like to do though, is help the internal 3kW pump / heater by installing a portable water heater, that only pulls around 1kW.

The idea is that on clear days, I can switch this on and it will effectively run for free thanks to the output from my solar panels.

It would also need an in-built thermostat, so it automatically shuts down once the water reached, say 30C.

Unfortunately, this is as far as my thinking has got, as I don't have a DIY background and would have no idea where to look for such a device.

Any help appreciated!

/\dam

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
  • celerity
    celerity Posts: 311 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2011 at 8:42PM
    Options
    Cheers, but they all look like integrated units that would replace what I already have?
    I'm after something like an aquarium heater, that I can just bung in the water and remove as needed.

I'm also not expecting it to do too much work heating the water, I'm just hoping it can help the main heater enough to make the exercise worthwhile.
    I suppose some calculations couldn't hurt - corrections welcomed, it's been a while since my physics GCSE ;):

volume of water in the tub = 1375L = 1375000g
    specific heat capacity of water = 4.18 (at 15C)

So, to heat up the water by one degree, I reckon it is 1375000 x 4.18 x 1 = 5747500J

1 watt equals 1 joule per second, so a 1000W heater would take 5747.5 seconds or 95.79 minutes to raise it by one degree - let's call it 90 minutes to make the calcs easier.
    My 3000W heater should in theory do it three times quicker, so 30 minutes to heat it by one degree. So, for every three hours the solar PV heater would be on, it would save one hour of the main heater being on, and would heat the water by two degrees.

Saving an hour of a 3kW heater would work out at around 36p of electricity saved, and I reckon a maximum of two hours a day could be saved, so that's 72p per day, or £5 per week. We'll probably only run the hot tub for 12 weeks a year, so the saving would be a maximum of £60 per year.

I've just done a search for "pond heaters" hoping I'd find something cheap, but they all seem to start at £160+ which is way too expensive in my opinion. Those koi carp owners have too much money ;).

Also, as discussed in another thread - in practise you couldn't possibly just leave even a 1000W heater on all the time and expect the solar panels to run it. A slight bit of cloud and you might end up having to buy in power from the National Grid. Given that, my budget for this exercise is £50 tops - if anybody can source a suitable heater that would be appreciated!

UPDATE: found this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360320688560 - could be suitable...?

/\dam
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    celerity wrote: »
    Cheers, but they all look like integrated units that would replace what I already have?
    I'm after something like an aquarium heater, that I can just bung in the water and remove as needed.

I'm also not expecting it to do too much work heating the water, I'm just hoping it can help the main heater enough to make the exercise worthwhile.
    I suppose some calculations couldn't hurt - corrections welcomed, it's been a while since my physics GCSE ;):

volume of water in the tub = 1375L = 1375000g
    specific heat capacity of water = 4.18 (at 15C)

So, to heat up the water by one degree, I reckon it is 1375000 x 4.18 x 1 = 5747500J

1 watt equals 1 joule per second, so a 1000W heater would take 5747.5 seconds or 95.79 minutes to raise it by one degree - let's call it 90 minutes to make the calcs easier.
    My 3000W heater should in theory do it three times quicker, so 30 minutes to heat it by one degree. So, for every three hours the solar PV heater would be on, it would save one hour of the main heater being on, and would heat the water by two degrees.

Saving an hour of a 3kW heater would work out at around 36p of electricity saved, and I reckon a maximum of two hours a day could be saved, so that's 72p per day, or £5 per week. We'll probably only run the hot tub for 12 weeks a year, so the saving would be a maximum of £60 per year.

I've just done a search for "pond heaters" hoping I'd find something cheap, but they all seem to start at £160+ which is way too expensive in my opinion. Those koi carp owners have too much money ;).

Also, as discussed in another thread - in practise you couldn't possibly just leave even a 1000W heater on all the time and expect the solar panels to run it. A slight bit of cloud and you might end up having to buy in power from the National Grid. Given that, my budget for this exercise is £50 tops - if anybody can source a suitable heater that would be appreciated!

UPDATE: found this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360320688560 - could be suitable...?

/\dam
    Hi

Quick rule of thumb is 1kW raises 1Tonne by 1DegreeC in 1Hour .... not totally accurate, but works as a quick estimate for most materials, domestic thermal mass etc ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Turning electric from solar PV in to heat, which is generally worth less than electric, may not be such a good option. You could use the electric for appliances in your house that must use electric, or sell it back to the grid, so when there's options to realise its full value, reducing its value in this way isn't ideal.

You could instead make a solar water heater? There are many designs that use everyday items you can buy in hardware shops.
  • celerity
    Options
    Thanks Ben, but I'm talking about "spare" electric - I keep a close eye on my generated output and usage. Many of us on here are on a 50% deemed export rate, so ways of using "extra" energy to either help out existing appliances or reduce the use of gas or oil are of interest.

Also, I'd be unlikely to have much success building a solar water heater - my DIY skills pretty much end at Lego ;).

/\dam
  • felixDcat
    Options
    Why not use a solar water heater? Easy to make one from a long black pipe laid out on the ground or roof, has water circulating around it powered by a smallish electric pump. Woud be much more efficient than trying to heat water with electricity. Could circulate the actual water from the hot tub or use an indirect system.

Regards
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why use PV pannels - you are just creating inefficiencies changing the light/heat to electricity and then back to heat again. Surly its best to use the type of pannel that heats water directly.
  • celerity
    Options
    Maybe I'm not being clear?
    I have solar panels that generate more than my house can use during clear days.
    On those days, I would like to utilise this spare energy to power a "pond heater" type device.
    I have neither the time nor the skills to build a dedicated solar thermal water heater.

This is exactly the same principle as people wanting to use an immersion heater for their house powered by solar PV, but I think it is more useful, as you don't want house heating in the summer - but you do want to use the hot tub :).

/\dam
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    While I can see what you are trying to do, I think any benefits from such a small heater in a hot tub would be very small. The energy you're adding over a few hours won't have much of an impact on the volume of water in a hot tub, as you have demonstrated. Even a small rise would be met with rapidly increasing heat losses from the tub, especially if you are in it and the cover is off. I think if you also use the proper tub heater to get it to proper tub temperature, then the best you can expect is a slightly lower rate of cooling.

But as others have said - electricity is high quality energy, and using it as heating is always a waste, since you can use it for any other purpose, and still get the heat out as a freebe if you like. I'd bet 1kw would be enough to drive some powerful pumps to create water jets - I'd just turn those on when it's sunny, then you get the jets as well as the heating - no need for a small heater, a 1kw pump would give you 1kw of heating.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure