Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Health & Beauty MoneySaving > Cost of removing a sebaceous cyst privately? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cost of removing a sebaceous cyst privately?
Views: 35,051
# 1
NapoleonBonafrog
Old 03-06-2011, 12:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Cost of removing a sebaceous cyst privately?

Hello there.

I've recently found out that I can have a cyst removed from my neck through my work medical cover, with the cost to me being 15% of the cost of the procedure up to a maximum of 350.

I'm just wondering exactly how much it's likely to be. If it's going to be up near the full 350 then I might as well just wait for the NHS.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Uniscots97
Old 03-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You could be waiting a minimum of six months for the NHS. I was told privately I'd pay about 600 (total cost) but that was last year.
2014 in 2014 = 2089.52 - 14025.96 / 13694.07. The Other One: 12042.8111540.91 Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
# 3
Beenie
Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ring your local private hospital and ask for a quote. They should be able to tell you over the phone as there are standard charges for routine things.

I expect it will be well over 350 though. Consultants charge between 150 and 170 just to see you and discuss; the procedure is on top of that.
# 4
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 PM

I had one done recently, waited 6 weeks and had it done at my local surgery by my own doctor on NHS.
Most surgeries do "minor surgery" now.
Would have been quicker but I was away on holiday and the long Easter weekend also got in the way.
# 5
NapoleonBonafrog
Old 03-06-2011, 1:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Okay, thanks for the replies everyone.

If what you say is right, unixgirl, then I'll be paying about 100 to save waiting for six months, which is definitely worth it to me.

To be honest, 2010, I've been pretty surprised at the length of time this has taken already. When the cyst first showed up a couple of months ago I spoke to a friend from Uni who is a GP, and they expected it to be treated immediately. But when I went to see my GP 3 weeks ago, i was told I'd have to be referred and haven't heard a peep since. Even if they just gave me a date I'd probably be happy.
# 6
violetta
Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 PM

OH saw GP at 9.40 a week last Monday with a sebaceous cyst (it did look like a volcano with lots of side craters though) and by 12 noon on the same day he was at our local hospital having the cyst excised. I was well impressed.

I work at a private hospital and there is no way it could have been done within hours where I work, so the NHS really came through for us. There are some horror stories, but when it works, it really works.
A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion
# 7
melancholly
Old 03-06-2011, 10:22 PM

some in the family had one removed - it was only a few weeks from going to the GP to having it done (it wasn't anything like a volcano!). i'm sure it could have been done quicker but it was organised around when was the best time to be off work.

can you chase the receptionists at your GP about the referral? sounds like it might be a slow paperwork issue rather than anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to melancholly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
suki1964
Old 04-06-2011, 9:09 PM

I had one removed from my ear lobe in two weeks on the NHS in the minor surgery unit of my local hospital.

I have had one removed in the Day unit as well - waited longer for that one but that was under a GA so understandable
if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

Norn iron no 314
# 9
Mish Mash
Old 06-06-2011, 4:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I went to see my gp this week with a large cyst on my head. It has grown a lot over the last year and can be seen through my hairline and is now really sore. I was told that my borough (Enfield) had cancelled all minor surgery and I was unlikely to have my case taken on.

I don't have private healthcare, I pay a fortune for private physio at the moment and can't afford to pay for a private op. Sometimes wonder what I pay my taxes for - never claimed any kind of benefit, always worked, no children etc etc. Apologies for the rant but am kind of fed-up.
# 10
artwest
Old 27-11-2012, 2:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Doctor told me my sebaceous cyst won't be removed on the NHS

I have a large sebaceous cyst on my back. I first had one in the same spot more than 20 years ago and it was removed, no questions asked, on the NHS. It started to grow again about a year ago and It's now about 2 inches across and domed. A few weeks ago I asked my present doctor about removal. He told me that it was benign and wouldn't now be removed on the NHS. Judging by the posts here that isn't true. Am I missing something? Should I see another doctor or insist on being treated or is it to do with where you live? I live in Berkshire by the way. Thanks for any help.
# 11
Hermia
Old 27-11-2012, 3:31 PM

I have a cyst on my face and was told it could not be removed on the NHS.
# 12
hethmar
Old 27-11-2012, 5:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I had a small garden pea sized one on my neck and my GP got me an appointment in 6 weeks to have it removed. By the time the six weeks came round it had got much smaller, so I told him I didnt need the appointment. That was 5 years ago and its never grown that big again.

I had a large skin tag on my neck removed at a Sk:n clinic for 70 and was well pleased to get rid of that having had it all my life
# 13
Old 27-11-2012, 6:08 PM

See post #4.
That was about 18 months ago, maybe the rules have changed since then.
I was told that this type of cyst would keep on growing and would have to be removed, so I can`t see why it can`t be done on the NHS.
# 14
hethmar
Old 29-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Neither can I. Ask again or check out NICE.
# 15
rickd909
Old 05-12-2012, 9:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy

The only way to get cysts removed on the NHS now is to claim that they are causing you anxiety, depression, etc.. and come from it from that angle. If the cyst is in a location that is causing discomfort (such as the waistline i.e. where your trousers/skirt sits) or on your spine (so you can't sit back on a chair or lie on your back in bed), then the NHS should remove it. All other cases are regarded as cosmetic and you will have to play the 'anxiety/worry/feeling of depression' card, to just have an outside chance of a free excision. I think this goes for most PCT's/Trusts but may vary from one to another. I did some extensive research in my own area - Tower Hamlets (London) and through an internet search even found a copy of the referral form the GP completes (this is how I found out about the 'causing me mental health issues' option). The form also allows for other exacerbating circumstances that would support a free removal so any excuse is worth a punt when you are sitting in the GP's office.
I have to say though that I got so fed up with my multiple GP visits that in the end, despite all the above, I went private to have two cysts removed - one on my upper arm on my bicep and one on my shoulder at the cost of 450 all in for an initial consultation, the two excisions and a follow up consultation. The procedure was done by a registered cosmetic surgeon.

I have always had cysts developing since I was about 10 (I am now 38). Up until about 10 years ago they were all removed on the NHS no problem but now I don't expect too much......