Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Mortgages & Endowments > abbey mortgage - waiting time ? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
abbey mortgage - waiting time ?
Closed Thread
Views: 7,512
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
tedglen3
Old 18-04-2011, 3:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 51
Default abbey mortgage - waiting time ?

Sorry to bring this up in a new post. But its on my mind.

Another post talks about how abbey have a 4 week wait until each case goes to underwriter. Is this how it is at the moment?

Thanks
tedglen3 is offline
Report Post
# 2
rinkydinkpanther
Old 18-04-2011, 4:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 133
Default

I got notification on Monday last week that my current lender wouldn't lend on the house I wanted to buy (non-standard construction).

Spoke to broker on Monday who advised that Abbey would be a potential lender. Sent him details of our salary/outgoings etc information on Tuesday morning. Got a call Tuesday afternoon to say we had been approved for fast track application. Dropped in copies of documentation and ID to broker on Wednesday, got call to say underwriters had approved application and instructed valuation first thing on Thursday morning. Valuation survey should have been done today.

So seems pretty quick from where I'm sitting...
rinkydinkpanther is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rinkydinkpanther For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
kidcat
Old 18-04-2011, 5:11 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,871
Default

We are buying our first house and Abbey have been very quick -there was the usual document request and stuff but valuation was instructed only ten days after application. Any delays have been from our sde with the vendor not being good at allowing valuation.


kidcat is offline
Report Post
# 4
danjo1
Old 03-05-2011, 1:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Default

We completed our application with the Abbey early March, additional payslips/bank statements provided early April and we are still waiting for our survey to be carried out which is now delaying our chain considerably. Ours has gone very slow but not sure how much is down to Abbey and how much is down to our Mortgage advisor... Very frustrated right now!
danjo1 is offline
Report Post
# 5
tedglen3
Old 03-05-2011, 2:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 51
Default

hi there, just to update - the whole application and survery took approx a week. very happy. now just waiting for searches and hopefully exchange next week
tedglen3 is offline
Report Post
# 6
tomellingham
Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Default

I find Abbey are generally quite quick in terms of processing. I've been watching my mortgage application progress step by step on the Abbey for Intermediaries website. Generally when something is sent to the Underwriter it is processed within a day.

Having a torid time with my application though. Was originally made on 24th Feb, valuation instructed on 16th March but was then down-valued. Have appealed valuation which took two weeks as there was a mix up in sending the documents. Appeal failed and now the house builder is paying for another valuation, so maybe another week before I hear back about that. Doubt I will have everything sorted, be it an agreement for a mortgage or pull out of the process by the end of May.
tomellingham is offline
Report Post
# 7
laural
Old 04-05-2011, 6:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Default

We put a full mortgage application through on April 21st and we were told they had arrange a valuation survey yesterday so should get a formal offer in next couple days if all goes ok. Obv slowed down a bit because of bank holidays. I would say very speedy at the moment!
laural is offline
Report Post
# 8
Shinkansen
Old 05-05-2011, 12:23 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 20
Default

Abbey are absolutely rubbish.

First time buyer here, should be looking after me really? Nope. I have just finished my three-page complaint letter which I will also be CC'ing to the FSO.

Applied 24th Feb. Abbey said they couldnt read the scan/prints of my payslips, yet they can read the scan/prints of everything else including my handwritten application form! Originals sent to Abbey.

March 24th - Offer and valuation arrive. Valuation states TWO bedroom apartment. Wrong. I'm buying a ONE bedroom apartment. Rang Abbey, advised by telesales to "just sign it" as "it won't affect the numbers". Is this standard practice?! Advised girl I would ring her back thanks. Rang mortgage advisor, rightly advised to ring back Abbey and get this corrected pronto. Abbey say they will reissue a corrected valuation and mortgage offer and would take 3-5 working days.

Three weeks later (we were still experiencing backlogged post from Xmas and ice/snow at this point) and nothing has arrived. Received emails and calls from solicitor/mortgage advisor. Turns out that my solicitor contacted Abbey herself and they decided NOT to reissue my valuation, just write a letter of validation to acknowledge their own cockup.

This letter of validation has not yet emerged.

So, to date (4th May 2011) I still have NO SATISFACTORY MORTGAGE OFFER. This is 10 weeks and fast approaching a quarter of a year.

I am a first time homebuyer. I am going through the old HomeBuy Direct Govt scheme. I am also a teacher and had arranged LOTS of things to assist me to move during the Easter holidays, as originally estimated given the three-five working day correction time frame. I was not notified this had changed.

I am now going to be forced to move during term-time, during one of the most stressful and hectic periods known to education... the summer examination term.

What shocks me more is that I am in NO CHAIN and this property has been sat EMPTY since it's construction in 2010.

Sorry. Vent over. Had to be done. I'm demanding the waiving of fees as some form of compensation, as if there ever WAS as a case study of just how Abbey/Santander can balls up a home-purchase, this is it. ALL delays have come from their end. I could probably have done a better job on my first week on the job!

Unfortunately the sad truth is they have some of the best products out for individuals like myself.

I'll keep you all updated.
Shinkansen is offline
Report Post
# 9
Riq
Old 06-05-2011, 1:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,709
Default

My mortgage app is with the underwriters, went yesterday.

I am guessing they will arrange a survey before I hear a decision?
"I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
Riq is offline
Report Post
# 10
kingstreet
Old 06-05-2011, 1:48 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stafford
Posts: 22,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riq View Post
My mortgage app is with the underwriters, went yesterday.

I am guessing they will arrange a survey before I hear a decision?
No. You'll get an accept or decline decision if it's gone to underwriting. Then they'll instruct the valuer.
I am a Mortgage Adviser. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
kingstreet is offline
Report Post
# 11
kingstreet
Old 06-05-2011, 1:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stafford
Posts: 22,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkansen View Post
Abbey are absolutely rubbish.

First time buyer here, should be looking after me really? Nope. I have just finished my three-page complaint letter which I will also be CC'ing to the FSO.

Applied 24th Feb. Abbey said they couldnt read the scan/prints of my payslips, yet they can read the scan/prints of everything else including my handwritten application form! Originals sent to Abbey.

March 24th - Offer and valuation arrive. Valuation states TWO bedroom apartment. Wrong. I'm buying a ONE bedroom apartment. Rang Abbey, advised by telesales to "just sign it" as "it won't affect the numbers". Is this standard practice?! Advised girl I would ring her back thanks. Rang mortgage advisor, rightly advised to ring back Abbey and get this corrected pronto. Abbey say they will reissue a corrected valuation and mortgage offer and would take 3-5 working days.

Three weeks later (we were still experiencing backlogged post from Xmas and ice/snow at this point) and nothing has arrived. Received emails and calls from solicitor/mortgage advisor. Turns out that my solicitor contacted Abbey herself and they decided NOT to reissue my valuation, just write a letter of validation to acknowledge their own cockup.

This letter of validation has not yet emerged.

So, to date (4th May 2011) I still have NO SATISFACTORY MORTGAGE OFFER. This is 10 weeks and fast approaching a quarter of a year.

I am a first time homebuyer. I am going through the old HomeBuy Direct Govt scheme. I am also a teacher and had arranged LOTS of things to assist me to move during the Easter holidays, as originally estimated given the three-five working day correction time frame. I was not notified this had changed.

I am now going to be forced to move during term-time, during one of the most stressful and hectic periods known to education... the summer examination term.

What shocks me more is that I am in NO CHAIN and this property has been sat EMPTY since it's construction in 2010.

Sorry. Vent over. Had to be done. I'm demanding the waiving of fees as some form of compensation, as if there ever WAS as a case study of just how Abbey/Santander can balls up a home-purchase, this is it. ALL delays have come from their end. I could probably have done a better job on my first week on the job!

Unfortunately the sad truth is they have some of the best products out for individuals like myself.

I'll keep you all updated.
Your adviser should have taken responsibility for all this, IMHO. The minute my clients start ringing the lender direct I'll know I'm not doing my job properly.
I am a Mortgage Adviser. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
kingstreet is offline
Report Post
# 12
GMS
Old 06-05-2011, 2:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 5,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstreet View Post
Your adviser should have taken responsibility for all this, IMHO. The minute my clients start ringing the lender direct I'll know I'm not doing my job properly.
Agree 100%. No way should a client ever need to contact a lender when an adviser is handling the application.

Is there an issue with the Homebuy scheme? Also it will be classed as a new build flat which will not help matters.

That aside it is not your responsibility to chase if it is a broker application.

Unless you mean an 'adviser' from Abbey?
I am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
GMS is offline
Report Post
# 13
Riq
Old 06-05-2011, 2:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstreet View Post
No. You'll get an accept or decline decision if it's gone to underwriting. Then they'll instruct the valuer.
Excellent. Are we talking days or weeks for a decision do you know?

Suppose it depends on workload to be fair.
"I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
Riq is offline
Report Post
# 14
kingstreet
Old 06-05-2011, 2:49 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stafford
Posts: 22,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riq View Post
Excellent. Are we talking days or weeks for a decision do you know?

Suppose it depends on workload to be fair.
It depends on the case and the workload. Depending on the issue, they might come back to ask for more documentation. Hopefully, you'll just get an acceptance and off it will go for valuation.
I am a Mortgage Adviser. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
kingstreet is offline
Report Post
# 15
Shinkansen
Old 08-05-2011, 2:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 20
Default

No, it was an Independent Mortgage Advisor. I have to use one as part of the terms of the HomeBuy scheme. I agree with you totally.

My solicitor obviously lost her rag waiting and contacted Santander directly. They tried to tell her they faxed her a new VALUATION (not a letter of variance) on the 19th April. Obviously this never ocurred. The next day (6th May) it magically appeared out of their fax machine. Hallelujiah. Probably only 2 weeks till completion and just the 10 weeks of delay so far.

Absolutely disgusted. Massive complaint letter faxed off and CC'd to the Financial Ombudsman.
Shinkansen is offline
Report Post
# 16
Jonesy89
Old 18-05-2011, 11:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Ours has been very quick!

Valuation was done within a week of applying offer through the door within 4 working days!

Fingers crossed everything else runs as smooth!!
Jonesy89 is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:56 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 03 September 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile
  • My point is less the rights and wrongs, more the tragic irony of the juxtaposition between the two.
  • We fail to intervene when 1,400 girls are sexually abused, but do intervene to imprison family trying to get treatment for their sick son.
  • Do you still print out your photos - PLEASE VOTE http://t.co/apAHZuhdIy

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 88
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.