Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • CaitlinsNanna
    • By CaitlinsNanna 28th Nov 06, 9:37 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    CaitlinsNanna
    • 28th Nov 06, 9:37 PM
    • 28th Nov 06, 9:37 PM
    How about a time of your life dvd. I put one in my FIL's hamper. It's a dvd with news & events on the year of your birth. I got it from WH Smith on line,it cost 7.69 but I oredered it last weeks when they had a 10% off day.

I was born in 1960 & am trying to think back to when I was younger & what we did.

Cresta fizzy pop was a fave drink & I think you can still get it, but it does not taste the same.
    Bazooka joe bubble gum
    Smiths salt & shake crisps ( I remember them costing 6 old pence which is now 2 1/2p)
    What about trying to get some old pre decimal coins & notes. I've seen then on the old market stall & antique shops
    Shaker maker was a toy back then that you can still get
    Starsky & Hutch was a big hit on the tv when I was a young teen -you maybe could do a web search on ebay or similar
    Hits from the 70's dvd, although we all had them on vinyl
    I remember a toy craze called kanackers that was 2 very hard plastic balls hanging on string attatched to a small holder, you had to shake it to get the balls to meet top & bottom. They were lethal & I remember them causing injuries to users. I have seen smaller versions of them today but they are on plastic stalks, not string.
    Brut aftershave
    Strongbow cider

HTH

I'm sure I'll think of loads later & will add to this thread.
  • chatta
    • 28th Nov 06, 9:45 PM
    • 28th Nov 06, 9:45 PM
    Beano and Dandy comics were favourites, we played marbles in playground. My brother had matchbox cars, and corgie ones. You can get a Watch with Mother video or DVD. That was when we watched the Herbs. Andy Pandy, Pogles Wood. Will also try to think of more things x
    • sturgeon62
    • By sturgeon62 28th Nov 06, 10:16 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    sturgeon62
    • 28th Nov 06, 10:16 PM
    • 28th Nov 06, 10:16 PM
    Loved Trumpton and Candlewick Green, not forgetting Dear old Hectar. Hand knitted tops. Enid Blyton Books. Flying Saucers. Scooters with side cars. Schweps Lemonade. Jacks. Conkers on shoe laces. French Skipping. Sorry I was a '62 Girl. Trips to Margate. Maybe a scrapbook of clips/cuttings from then, interacted with some actual family photo's or postcards of the time, fashion, vehicles, kids playing, local scenes.
  • truly1
    • 28th Nov 06, 10:20 PM
    • 28th Nov 06, 10:20 PM
    How about a time of your life dvd. I put one in my FIL's hamper. It's a dvd with news & events on the year of your birth. I got it from WH Smith on line,it cost 7.69 but I oredered it last weeks when they had a 10% off day.

I was born in 1960 & am trying to think back to when I was younger & what we did.

Cresta fizzy pop was a fave drink & I think you can still get it, but it does not taste the same.
    Bazooka joe bubble gum
    Smiths salt & shake crisps ( I remember them costing 6 old pence which is now 2 1/2p)
    What about trying to get some old pre decimal coins & notes. I've seen then on the old market stall & antique shops
    Shaker maker was a toy back then that you can still get
    Starsky & Hutch was a big hit on the tv when I was a young teen -you maybe could do a web search on ebay or similar
    Hits from the 70's dvd, although we all had them on vinyl
    I remember a toy craze called kanackers that was 2 very hard plastic balls hanging on string attatched to a small holder, you had to shake it to get the balls to meet top & bottom. They were lethal & I remember them causing injuries to users. I have seen smaller versions of them today but they are on plastic stalks, not string.
    Brut aftershave
    Strongbow cider

HTH

I'm sure I'll think of loads later & will add to this thread.
    by CaitlinsNanna

I'm sure we called these things clackers (klackers), as even then the word kanackers (knackers) was a bit rude / mum would have cuffed me one!
  • merlinormartin
    • 28th Nov 06, 10:21 PM
    • 28th Nov 06, 10:21 PM
    hi tracey ...after reading your post iv decided to make a similar hamper for my mum ... i got loads of ideas from www.doyouremember.co.uk

*WARNING: makes you remember how old you really are*
    • CaitlinsNanna
    • By CaitlinsNanna 28th Nov 06, 11:00 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    CaitlinsNanna
    • 28th Nov 06, 11:00 PM
    • 28th Nov 06, 11:00 PM
    I'm sure we called these things clackers (klackers), as even then the word kanackers (knackers) was a bit rude / mum would have cuffed me one!
    by truly1
    OOOPS!! I think you are right there.
    Sorry about that. Whenever they come to mind & I often think about them & how dangerous they were I honestly thought that's what they were called.

I stand corrected!

And yes my Mum would have cuffed me had I come out with that one.
    • CaitlinsNanna
    • By CaitlinsNanna 28th Nov 06, 11:02 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    CaitlinsNanna
    • 28th Nov 06, 11:02 PM
    • 28th Nov 06, 11:02 PM
    Puzzle ring
    Sherbet dib dabs
    Hooped tank top
  • chatta
    • 28th Nov 06, 11:06 PM
    • 28th Nov 06, 11:06 PM
    by truly1
    Sorry I remember them as kanackers as well Just thought of a drink Tizer
  • kathyd
    You've got to get marbles. My brother was always playing with his I also remember he had a James Bond car with an ejector seat and and a shield that came up at the back and the front and rear lights did something, not sure what though. Lucky Bags from the sweet shop with sweets inside and a little toy. Bubble gum, sweet cigarettes.
  • tracyburt
    Hi, thanks for all of your ideas, I will have great fun shopping for this on Saturday now I've got some ideas of what to look for. The clackers conversation gave me a chuckle too, so ideas and laughter all in one ... what would I do without MSE
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 29th Nov 06, 6:13 PM
    • 3,604 Posts
    • 5,386 Thanks
    culpepper
    The new seekers were quite popular.
    Sandy shaw's puppet on a string too.
    Boys used to buy those flat bubblegums with about 4 football cards in each one.
    The bubblegum was revolting,like cardboard.
    The bazooka joes were much better.
    My brother used to get 'Shoot' football comic and 'The Victor' which had some war stories,Beezer,Beano and Dandy.
    Traffic light ,cats eyes,sherbet and chocolate covered ,toffee lollies.
    Quite a lot of the sweets were the same as the pick and mix you can buy nowadays.

Clackers were more of a girls toy.
  • lizzie12
    Know its not a boy toy but what about the hoop with a piece of string and a ball attached - forgot what itscalled.
    Cats Cradle
    Spinning top
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Nov 06, 10:50 PM
    • 43,254 Posts
    • 146,495 Thanks
    beanielou
    OOOOOOOh clackers.
    i loved those.
    Saw the new ones somewhere recently but just not the same!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone. **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

427Posts Today

4,497Users online

Martin's Twitter